2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has change their own engine air filter in a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5l. I just changed mine at 19K (1st time) and noticed that there was a medium amount of dust adhered to the inside of the filter box assembly. I am not talking about the outboard side of the filter, but rather the inboard where it should be sparking clean.
I have been changing my air filters in all my vehicles for more than 20 years, and I don’t recall ever seeing any particles on the “clean” end.
We don’t drive in dusty areas, and the filter I removed was in good shape for the mileage.
Makes me think Mazda has not done a good job with the design of the filter assembly, and some dust/pollen is bypassing the filter. Looking at the filter it would be hard to imagine anything getting through it.
This makes me worried about the long term effectiveness of filtering out things that my engine ideally shouldn’t be ingesting. Also I had to remove the filter box completely in order to clean the inside and that was a pain the butt!

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has change their own engine air filter in a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5l. I just changed mine at 19K (1st time) and noticed that there was a medium amount of dust adhered to the inside of the filter box assembly. I am not talking about the outboard side of the filter, but rather the inboard where it should be sparking clean.
I have been changing my air filters in all my vehicles for more than 20 years, and I don’t recall ever seeing any particles on the “clean” end.
We don’t drive in dusty areas, and the filter I removed was in good shape for the mileage.
Makes me think Mazda has not done a good job with the design of the filter assembly, and some dust/pollen is bypassing the filter. Looking at the filter it would be hard to imagine anything getting through it.
This makes me worried about the long term effectiveness of filtering out things that my engine ideally shouldn’t be ingesting. Also I had to remove the filter box completely in order to clean the inside and that was a pain the butt!
I never changed my air filter because I eliminated the stock air box completely by installing an aftermarket short ram intake - I highly recommend that you do the same! Not only will the filter last much longer and not need to be replaced, but you'll also get a nice 10hp and 10lbft torque increase. I recommend the CorkSport SRI - $179 + shipping - installation is very simple and takes about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that was what I was thinking about. I like the Cork Sport SRI, but think I would like a heat shield with it. I know K&N has one that includes the shield.

It gets HOT in North Carolina!

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Thanks, that was what I was thinking about. I like the Cork Sport SRI, but think I would like a heat shield with it. I know K&N has one that includes the shield.

It gets HOT in North Carolina!
Many people on this forum also like the Simota SRI - I guess it's supposed to prevent heat soak without using a shield. However, it is currently out of stock.

Also, CorkSport has a cold air box coming out soon for their SRI.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I too have the CS SRI, but I did drive a bit before getting that and I have changed the drop in filter, in fact I had a K&N drop in filter for a while. I never really noticed a fair amount of dust in the box. Sounds like maybe there is a leak or maybe a crack. I'm assuming you checked the air hose connections and made sure the lid was secured on properly? Personally I'd remove the air box, bring it in a dark room like a bathroom, shine a flashlight around the box and look inside the opening outlet and see if you see any light coming in. If all else fails, take it into the dealer and have them figure it out. Just my opinion.

Also, CorkSport has a cold air box coming out soon for their SRI.
I wouldn't wait on the cold air box from CS, it's been a while already. Not saying anything bad about them, I have a few of their products, one of which being the SRI which I like very much. I'm just saying CS has said they were going to come out with one for a while now and I'm pretty sure those of us that have the SRI and have heard the same thing, have probably given up on the whole air box thing from them. BUT, if they do, I'm definitely picking one up. :tongue:

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
I wouldn't wait on the cold air box from CS, it's been a while already. Not saying anything bad about them, I have a few of their products, one of which being the SRI which I like very much. I'm just saying CS has said they were going to come out with one for a while now and I'm pretty sure those of us that have the SRI and have heard the same thing, have probably given up on the whole air box thing from them. BUT, if they do, I'm definitely picking one up. :tongue:
For what it's worth, CS says the box will be available within the next month.

Reactions: XERO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, funny the mention of folks waiting for the CS solution. I was chatting online with a sales rep on Friday and expressed my concern/interest in a SRI w/shield. He/she said they didnt have one that was production ready but could sell one to me if I was interested. I said I was and gave them my email address, but have yet to hear back.

This is for my wifes 2010, I also have one that is the same year and model. Mine only has 6K on it. I plan on taking a look at mine and seeing if it has the same issue.

I have to take into account the fewer miles of course.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Yeah, funny the mention of folks waiting for the CS solution. I was chatting online with a sales rep on Friday and expressed my concern/interest in a SRI w/shield. He/she said they didnt have one that was production ready but could sell one to me if I was interested. I said I was and gave them my email address, but have yet to hear back.

This is for my wifes 2010, I also have one that is the same year and model. Mine only has 6K on it. I plan on taking a look at mine and seeing if it has the same issue.

I have to take into account the fewer miles of course.

That's interesting - I wonder what is causing the delay and confusion with the CS CAB.

A pair of Mz3s - nice! My wife wants to replace her '03 Jetta with a newer Jetta, but I'm trying to convince her to get a 3 instead since she likes how they look.

You definitely need a SRI on your 3 too! Let us know what you find when you look at your filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts