2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Today out of nowhere, I check a problem with the shift knob inside our vehicles... I started rubbing it and I noticed the black plastic or paint coat started peeling, since I got my car 7 months ago I never cleaned the shift knob which if true makes it one of the dirtiest places we forget to clean weekly, so it can be that, all the sweat and dirt from my hands, or is it perhaps it is some bad quality control from Mazda...? has this happened to someone before, should I apply the warranty and have this changed?

Insight is very well appreciated!

I provided some pics :)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I noticed the same thing 3 days ago. I just peeled it all off today, but have yet to inspect it more, but looks fine when pealed of though not as shiny, leather, faux leather, similar plastic material, don't know what is made of, but will try something with it soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also peeled it off completely, and exactly as you stated previously it's not shiny as it used to be.

Defineltely unsure if the peeling it's all the dirt and sweat or the material itself...:dunno:

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 14' shift knob has never peeled like that and is still shiny
I think you guys have bad shift knobs, I don't think it's just dirt that's peeling off
Perhaps that faux leather material they used on yours is prematurely falling apart

·
Registered
336 Posts
Haven't seen that problem yet on the shift knob. I wipe it down with Aerospace 303 Protectant every few months, which helps keep all the vinyl/ rubber looking good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think I remember reading something a couple months ago about a small batch of steering wheels wearing prematurely due to a defect in the covering material. Maybe this is a similar problem with the shift knob? If I recall correctly, Mazda admitted the problem and replaced those steering wheels for free under warranty. Take it into the dealer and see if they'll do a no-charge replacement for your shift knob. It's only 7 months, so I'd think you could get something done under warranty.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys wear rings and rest your hands on the shifter while you drive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I do wear my wedding ring on my right hand :surprise: and I mainly drive on automatic/manual lately.

How could this have an impact on the shift knob? My ring is located on 4th finger (left to right )and when I rest my hand finger on the shift knob it mainly touches the right / lateral part area of the shift knob, the peeling started on the left part area...but still maybe I don't pay attention and sometimes it might touch the affected area without knowing...

Here are is new picture of the shift knob, I peeled pretty much everything until the middle, do you guys note the difference?

Thanks again for your input!

Attachments

·
Working Class Hero
3,707 Posts
Just a hunch. Everyone is different, but when I used to wear my ring it was chewing up soft surfaces in my past cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts