2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Is direct injection in the mazda3 a concern? I'm not a big car guy but was reading about advantages and disadvantages of direct injection engines. It looks like most car companies are making the move electronic fuel injection to direct injection due to increased HP and MPG. Would this lead to premature engine wear or excessive carbon build up? From reading the lexus is250 forums, seems like that was a major issue for their 2.5 v6 engine and led to early engine problems. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
the early direct injections by mazda has had their series of problems, but I think mazda has pretty much perfected it in the last 9 years since the first direct injection engine came out. I wouldn't be worried

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Yea the technology of direct injection has came a long way. Like orange said I wouldn't be concerned with it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
the early direct injections by mazda has had their series of problems, but I think mazda has pretty much perfected it in the last 9 years since the first direct injection engine came out. I wouldn't be worried
Yes, the MazdaSpeed6 was the first to have direct injection , I am told ,and the M3 was later. Direct injection in the automotive industry has been around 15 plus years. Gives better fuel economy and more power. example ; my mid 80's two litre Mazda was around the 100hp range and now getting 150 hp plus with the same size....... Quite an improvement but not sure if the mileage will be up to what I made with it ; even a heavier car back then !

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes , agreed , good read on the direct injection and companies who have tried it . At this point in time I believe (unless proven otherwise) that Mazda should have any issues licked by not doing what the others have failed to do as it appears from what I have read that it is also an emission improvement besides the fuel economy point. Will have to wait and see if any issues on valve Carboning up like BMW and Lexus had , but then this motor is neither of these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts