2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 2018 Mazda 3 touring and recently replaced my main projectors with the plug-n-play SL1 headlight from DIode DYnamics. These bulbs are pricey but SO WORTH IT. And honestly, it's 2019 - someone PLEASE TELL ME WHY the industry is still selling any cars above base model with HALOGEN BULBS!? Anyways, I am absolutely IN LOVE with the performance and color of the new SL1 Bulbs from DD. Now I am looking to upgrade the DRL/High Beams as well but want to ensure the coloring of the lights is the same as my low beams while also preserving DRL function. The SL1 emits 1630 lumens (a beautiful cool white that refrains from the, in my opinion, cheap and obnoxious looking blue tint many replacement bulbs have. I have since replaced every bulb in the care with Diode Dynamics products apart from these. Diode Dynamics sells a low beam HID conversion kit that I was thinking of purchasing in the 5000K or 6000K bulb coloring to install. The kit comes with the following:

- One pair 9005 CNLight HID bulbs in your choice of bulb color
- Two 35w super-slim ballasts (HYLUX 2A88 Slim CANBUS)
- One Premium Waterproof Relay (optional)
- Mounting hardware for ballasts (3M mounting pads)

In my research I've found that in order to preserve the functionality of DRL with High Beams you need to both had an HID conversion kit plus 9005 bulbs? Is this true? If so, in this case - this kit includes everything I need correct? I appreciate your input!

·
Working Class Hero
3,624 Posts
On topic of the Diode Dynamics SL1, how is the beam distance compared to the halogen? I know the light color is worlds better, but can you see farther down the road in the absence of street lighting? I'm thinking of putting these in the wife's car, and lord knows you only get one shot at something like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
wife's car, and lord knows you only get one shot at something like that.

lol, this is so true, one shot only and if you screw up you are shunned for it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
for me i would not do HID in high beams, its just me since they have to "warm up" I would just stick to Halogen or Led for high beam. that is my opinion.

·
Working Class Hero
3,624 Posts
for me i would not do HID in high beams, its just me since they have to "warm up" I would just stick to Halogen or Led for high beam. that is my opinion.
Agreed. It's fine for extended duration use, but on/off situations will just fry the ballasts and starters.

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
Hi all - I have a 2018 Mazda 3 touring and recently replaced my main projectors with the plug-n-play SL1 headlight from DIode DYnamics. These bulbs are pricey but SO WORTH IT. And honestly, it's 2019 - someone PLEASE TELL ME WHY the industry is still selling any cars above base model with HALOGEN BULBS!? Anyways, I am absolutely IN LOVE with the performance and color of the new SL1 Bulbs from DD. Now I am looking to upgrade the DRL/High Beams as well but want to ensure the coloring of the lights is the same as my low beams while also preserving DRL function. The SL1 emits 1630 lumens (a beautiful cool white that refrains from the, in my opinion, cheap and obnoxious looking blue tint many replacement bulbs have. I have since replaced every bulb in the care with Diode Dynamics products apart from these. Diode Dynamics sells a low beam HID conversion kit that I was thinking of purchasing in the 5000K or 6000K bulb coloring to install. The kit comes with the following:

- One pair 9005 CNLight HID bulbs in your choice of bulb color
- Two 35w super-slim ballasts (HYLUX 2A88 Slim CANBUS)
- One Premium Waterproof Relay (optional)
- Mounting hardware for ballasts (3M mounting pads)

In my research I've found that in order to preserve the functionality of DRL with High Beams you need to both had an HID conversion kit plus 9005 bulbs? Is this true? If so, in this case - this kit includes everything I need correct? I appreciate your input!
Ok, lets back up here...What exactly are you replacing? You say this -
I have a 2018 Mazda 3 touring and recently replaced my main projectors with the plug-n-play SL1 headlight
then this
I am looking to upgrade the DRL/High Beams as well
but then this -
Diode Dynamics sells a low beam HID conversion kit that I was thinking of purchasing
From the first quote it sounds like you have replaced the low beams (the ones in the projector box), and the second quote says you want to upgrade the high beams, then you ask about a low beam HID kit?
From what I understand you have LED bulbs in your low beams now that are 5700k. If you want high beams you want something in the same color range. HIDs are not a good choice, stick with the matching color LEDs, they will work fine. You'll need a simple adapter harness to maintain DRL functionality. Ask Diode Dynamics if they have the correct part for Mazda cars, its the same one for Honda / Acura.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From further research, I did learn HIDs were a terrible choice. I currently have the SL1 in the lowbeam projector and would love to purchase the matching SL1 High Beam bulbs for the highbeam/dlr reflector housing in the same 5700K - I was unaware of the simple solution of the adapter harness I will do some digging regarding that. THanks so much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On topic of the Diode Dynamics SL1, how is the beam distance compared to the halogen? I know the light color is worlds better, but can you see farther down the road in the absence of street lighting? I'm thinking of putting these in the wife's car, and lord knows you only get one shot at something like that.

I can confirm the Diode Dynamic SL1's are WORLDS BETTER - in the stock projectors that come with the mazda 3 the beam distance and even fill of light throughout is worlds different than the stock halogens. 11/10 would recommend for lowbeam projector housings. However, I have no knowledge of their performance wihtin a lowbeam reflector housing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, lets back up here...What exactly are you replacing? You say this -
then this

but then this -

From the first quote it sounds like you have replaced the low beams (the ones in the projector box), and the second quote says you want to upgrade the high beams, then you ask about a low beam HID kit?
From what I understand you have LED bulbs in your low beams now that are 5700k. If you want high beams you want something in the same color range. HIDs are not a good choice, stick with the matching color LEDs, they will work fine. You'll need a simple adapter harness to maintain DRL functionality. Ask Diode Dynamics if they have the correct part for Mazda cars, its the same one for Honda / Acura.
So I've found multiple places online where the adapter harness is linked to the iJDMToy sight but everytime i follow it its a 404 page error - do you happen to know where else the harness could be found?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A Possible Solution

Hey All upon some further research based on your feedback and a youtube video I've found the following items which may be the solution:

Decoder from iJDMToy: https://store.ijdmtoy.com/products/led-drl-decoder?_pos=1&_sid=b0b4d050a&_ss=r
- In the comments it specifically says to use te R2 Adapter with 9005 size bulbs which is what comes standard on the Mazda 3 touring models for highbeams/drl

Highbeam SL1 Bulb by Diode Dynamics:https://www.diodedynamics.com/high-beam-led-headlight-for-2004-2018-mazda-3-sedan-pair.html

I'm in hopes this is the proper setup needed based on your feedback and will report back once I've tried installation. If in the meantime you see this comment and know I've done something wrong please feel free to let me know!

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
Hey All upon some further research based on your feedback and a youtube video I've found the following items which may be the solution:

Decoder from iJDMToy: https://store.ijdmtoy.com/products/led-drl-decoder?_pos=1&_sid=b0b4d050a&_ss=r
- In the comments it specifically says to use te R2 Adapter with 9005 size bulbs which is what comes standard on the Mazda 3 touring models for highbeams/drl
Yes, thats the one. The R1 option is the one I used. You only need one resistor block for this.

Highbeam SL1 Bulb by Diode Dynamics:https://www.diodedynamics.com/high-beam-led-headlight-for-2004-2018-mazda-3-sedan-pair.html

I'm in hopes this is the proper setup needed based on your feedback and will report back once I've tried installation. If in the meantime you see this comment and know I've done something wrong please feel free to let me know!
$150 is pretty steep......https://store.ijdmtoy.com/collectio...s/products/led-headlight-foglamp-40-833-white

·
Working Class Hero
3,624 Posts
I can confirm the Diode Dynamic SL1's are WORLDS BETTER - in the stock projectors that come with the mazda 3 the beam distance and even fill of light throughout is worlds different than the stock halogens. 11/10 would recommend for lowbeam projector housings. However, I have no knowledge of their performance wihtin a lowbeam reflector housing.
Thanks for the feedback, sir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts