2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for creating another thread.

I saw two manual hatch back options on the market in my area.

Option 1:
2011 Mazda 3s Sport with Bose and Moonroof.
Mileage: 33,000
Price: 13,500 (Warranty expired but in decent condition. Private owner is not willing to budge)

Option 2:
2012 Mazda 3 I-touring Sky Active with no package
Mileage: 22000
Price: 14,999 (factory certified pre-own until 2016. Dealer is tough on price cause it is lower than certified blue book value.)

I know the MPG is night and day. (about $500 difference a year for my average 12,000 miles a year) But the 2.5s get better torque and has the option. I really need help 'cause I don't know whether the $1,500 is justifiable. I could have spent more for the 2014 Mazda 3 GT manual. But for my first manual car, I am not quite commitment to buy new. I am worried to take a big hit if I don't like it. I did test drive and have lots of fun switching the gear. The Mazda is not like BMW's hugging the road feel. But it is a lot of money for a affordable sporty car. I sincerely need your advice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'll be honest, the sport looks like the better car and deal IMO.
I will say this, I went from a 2003 Ford F-150 supercrew V8 to my '13 skyactiv 3. I spent around 65-70 bucks per fill up 6 times per month with the pickup. I am now spending 150 bucks per month on gas with the Sky. Do the math and it's a minimum of around 3,000.00 savings per year possibly more. The extra money comes very close to paying my car payments. The savings (not to sound lame) has in many ways changed my life lol. The Sky engine is amazing.

I wanted the speed3 but sacrificed what I wanted for the savings I'd get with the Skyactiv. These are hard decisions in your case but rest easier knowing you will most likely love either car. :)

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
What's more important to you? You want a little more power or better mileage. I'd get the Skyactiv personally because I'd rather have better mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advice. I think I will go with the power. I won't keep this car for more than 3 year. So depreciation wise is not a big issue. Skyactive 2.0L will help me save more if I keep this car for more than 3 years.

I know there are lots of manual maniac here. Do you think manual will take a big hit for resale?

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
I dont think manual affects resale too much, especially with mazdas. If it helps, I love my manual 3S. :banana 1:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The manual may be tougher to resell simply because there are those who don't know how to drive them and have no intention of ever learning. And yes they can be a pain if you are stuck in start and stop rush hour traffic and/or need to parallel park on hills on a daily basis. They do seem to be more of an enthusiast option.

That being said, there are definitely those of us who greatly prefer them since you feel more "connected" with the car when driving a manual. Personally, I would not consider an automatic unless there was no other choice. I know I looked at 20-30 different cars online and drove two automatics before finally finding the lone new 2013 6-speed manual that was available in my area and I snapped it up quick.

So the key would be finding a buyer who thinks like I do and is going to pass over all the for sale ads listing autos and move straight to yours. Make sure you mention it is a manual in your ad when you go to sell it. That way you wont disappoint those looking for an auto and the manual maniacs will zero right in on your ad. I think it would help if you live in or near a major metropolitan area as the larger pool of potential buyers makes it more likely you will find someone interested in your specific car's configuration.

Another thing to consider is how long you plan on owning your new vehicle. The longer you plan on owning it the less concerned you need to be about resale value. For instance, I am a huge Mazda fan and still have my trusty old Protege' 5 that I purchased new in March of 2002. Still going strong and running great. This will be staying in the family now that I have replaced it with the new 3. I also still own a 1988 Rx-7 turbo II that I have had since 1994 and drive every summer. When you own cars as long as I do you tend to be much less concerned about resale value.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zoom 7. Thanks for your advice. It is sad to see number of manual cars decreases both in US and my home country. Hopefully this deal is not the lemon. I am prepared to take a risk of taking more time finding the right buyer in the future. Or I might just take a bigger hit. At least this is not the brand new car.

I am going to arrange a pre-purchase inspection in local shop. I did notice the stock tires just have not much tread left. Some people complains about these tires. I will probably drove another 10,000 miles and see if I will replace them.

Currently my wife drove a 2013 Santa Fe limited. It is a pure comfort family car. I am pretty satisfied with this car so far except the lack of sportiness. I had also shared a 2007 BMW 3 series with my parents for a few years. I think Mazda did follow some design ideas from BMW. The driving dynamics feel tight but not as solid as BMW. But again, for a affordable small car. I would still thumb up. The only thing bothers me is the noise. I test drove the 2014 hatch. The noise is insane in the 2.0L i sport hatch compared to my Santafe. Hopefully, it will improve in the future (2018 model?).
But the moonroof on the 2011 Mazda is really small. I know it is not panoramic. But come on, at least install sth as big as the one on Civic. Any how, hopefully I will own my first Mazda next week. Thanks for all your inputs.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'll be honest, the sport looks like the better car and deal IMO.
I will say this, I went from a 2003 Ford F-150 supercrew V8 to my '13 skyactiv 3. I spent around 65-70 bucks per fill up 6 times per month with the pickup. I am now spending 150 bucks per month on gas with the Sky. Do the math and it's a minimum of around 3,000.00 savings per year possibly more. The extra money comes very close to paying my car payments. The savings (not to sound lame) has in many ways changed my life lol. The Sky engine is amazing.

I wanted the speed3 but sacrificed what I wanted for the savings I'd get with the Skyactiv. These are hard decisions in your case but rest easier knowing you will most likely love either car. :)
this is my thinking completely! I went from an 02 ford explorer that I loved but city driving to work and back I was spending $100 a week in gas.. my gas saving literally pay my car payment lol. I really wanted a speed 3 or a mustang GT i know weird options but thats what I wanted but when i realized a speed 3 is rought 25mpg if you drive normal I would rather drive a truck with that fuel economy. To me the skyactive 3 was a no brainer great gas mileage and still has a little zoom zoom compared to my other two options in town a honda civic or toyota corolla for the same price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts