2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for an OEM look. The dilemma that I'm faced with is painting the OEM 18" wheels on my 2017 Touring sedan the darker hyper graphite colour that comes with the GT model, or buying new wheels altogether. I want something, however, that looks totally stock and not aftermarket. I've been looking at CX-3 wheels, but they are a bit expensive for what you get, although I could reuse the same tires that I have on the car now which would save me an additional expense. Anyone have any suggestions on wheels that are stock-ish looking that could be used with the same tires?

I was quoted by a very reputable shop, by the way, at $165 per wheel to paint them from the brighter silver colour to the darker graphite colour seen on other trims.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

And yes, I have been browsing the pages within this sub-forum, but a lot of members aren't using the exact same tires and/or are using wheels that aren't terribly OEM looking and that's what I'm going for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a wrap? Im thinking of doing that till i get new rims, and then the stockers will be winter use.

yeah, i thought about that, but i wanted a more permanent solution because my dad is going to be driving all over town in inclement weather -- hot, cold, rain, sleet, etc. wrapping wheels can be hit or miss if doing them yourself and i think it would cost just as much to have it done professionally than to have them painted professionally.

edit: i want to put the least amount of money into this car to make it presentable (in my eyes) because it isn't my car, but tastefully modding is super fun.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Um, vinyl can hold up really well, as does Plasti-Dip when applied thick enough. I put 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc on my full size S&W M&P 9mm and have put 500+ rounds through it in 3 years and it still looks like the day i put it on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, vinyl can hold up really well, as does Plasti-Dip when applied thick enough. I put 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc on my full size S&W M&P 9mm and have put 500+ rounds through it in 3 years and it still looks like the day i put it on.
well, that's just not the route that i want to go. i'm looking to either paint the wheels the hyper-graphite colour or to purchase 18x7 wheels that are OEM to some Mazda model that will fit on the tires that are currently on the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well then, why did you ask for suggestions? RX-8 wheels and 6 GT rims look nice.
so i could get suggestions exactly like the ones you just provided -- rx-8 wheels and 6 gt rims. i'll check them out. thank you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
RFP1 still looks OEM while being really light. Seriously, you could put on center caps that say mazda on them. Probably costs less than buying another set of oem wheels. Though, you could conceptually get a set of cx5 wheels and put on whatever tires you want closer to the correct sizing. A number of cx5 owners are selling thiers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RFP1 still looks OEM while being really light. Seriously, you could put on center caps that say mazda on them. Probably costs less than buying another set of oem wheels. Though, you could conceptually get a set of cx5 wheels and put on whatever tires you want closer to the correct sizing. A number of cx5 owners are selling thiers.
RPF1s aren't my thing, but there are some cx5 wheels out there that look pretty nice. because it's not my car, i think over the last hour or so, that i've decided to have the wheels painted as it's the cheapest option that satisfies me. i can't stand the bright silver look of the wheels now, so i'll have them painted hyper-silver -- that graphite colour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts