2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Try a different dealership,
I'm probably going to do that. I contacted a reputable lemon law attorney in my area on how to best proceed. Yesterday, my gas gauge stopped working correctly. It went drastically low for no reason and has now stayed at "full tank" after driving over 50 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm, the fuel smell and gauge issues make this seem like less of an electrical/battery drain problem. If your fuel lines are getting depressurized while sitting parked, it might explain why it takes longer to crank--the fuel pump has to prime the lines to get fuel to the engine.

These don't seem like difficult issues to diagnose. If the dealership continues to be unhelpful, you should escalate to Mazda.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm pretty confused at this point. I'm sure what's causing what. :) At the dealership, either they aren't taking me serious or Mazda doesn't give them enough time to really dig to find the issue. I should hear back from the attorney today.

Funny story: I owned a 2013 Nissan Cube a few years ago. It was a great car (besides highway driving) and it did great in snow. It actually stalled in the middle of an intersection once, with a police car behind me. I then restarted it and drove away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I contacted Mazda corporate last night and the customer service staff member was extremely helpful. Because of the gas issue, they are picking up/towing my car to a different Mazda dealer Wednesday AM. She basically apologized for how incompetent the first dealership was- they didn't do any diagnostic testing during my last visit (reported gas fumes) and they hadn't contacted the Mazda field engineers for assistance. Let's hope the 4th time is a charm 😀

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good to hear Mazda corporate is taking action. Best result is them buying back your car. Keep us posted, really hope to hear some good news.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I appreciate everyone's input with my issue. They towed Baxter away this morning- a very strange sight to see. I'm picking up a loaner vehicle today also. They'll get their loaner back when my car is fixed or declared "unresponsive" (buyback). :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I previously wrote a thread about my car starting hard. It started after I began working from home due to the pandemic, but has continued. I initially thought it was due to driving less or bad gas.

Dealer Trip #1: Mazda dealer updated modules (?) that were drawing too much power. (3 weeks ago). Problem continued.
Dealer Trip #2: Mazda dealer tested the battery, said it was failing. They replaced it under the warranty. (last week) Problem continued the day after.

After sitting overnight, my car starts hard in the morning still. It hesitates and then finally turns over- I don't see any flickering lights on the dashboard or headlight dimming. I just returned from a 500 miles trip to PA, no issues while driving, only starting the car each day.

Before I head to the dealer again, any general idea on the cause of this?
I had the same issue. My car sat for days without being driven and I had to jump start it. I took it to 2 places for diagnostic and they sid it was low voltage. Took it to Mazda and they kept the car for almost a week (gave me a loaner) fully charged the battery and ran several tests and it passed. Haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Interesting. I haven't had to jump start it yet. During my second visit at the other dealership they ran tests and had to replace the battery. I actually went to the new dealer after work yesterday to pick up my loaner (driving a 2020 Select hatchback). I want my sedan back. :) I dealt directly with the servicer manager, very nice guy. First thing he said is "we smelled a lot of gas" when they started my car. There is hope. I emailed with customer service again and nicely asked for some form of compensation for the experience at the first dealership, I now have $150.00 for oil changes, accessories, etc. at a dealership.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Electricity will drain overnight, especially computer cars, dirt on alternator terminal, fine dust & moisture, or dirty battery top etc. Poor connection on switches & relays (intermittent).
On my old Chevy steering wheel position will affect contacts of starting circuits. Have fun. Unplug and use contact leaner spray on everything and re plug. On my 929 a computer module held in by a steel plate worked after taking the plate out and using stay straps. Loosened the pressure on the plug resulting in positive contact, problem solved not by competent smog guy and trying a alternate computer or by a crooked dealer who charged me 3 service calls but by using my knees and a Harbor Freight $ 3.00 meter. Took me 45 minutes to solve. Red Read Read.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Still waiting to hear back from the dealership. They expected to have it resolved last week, I planned on it taking least two weeks or more. In the meantime i'm driving a brand new hatchback with AWD. I personally don't like the rear-end design of them, but having a hatch is very practical.

On a side note, does anyone know how often Mazda buys back vehicles? There is very limited quality information online. Some website claims manufacturer do this out of "good will", which is hard to believe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Dealer Update:
Apparently my car had leaking O-rings, which caused my issues. They replaced them and my car should be ready for pick up tomorrow, after they test everything again.

Is this a common issue with Mazda 3s?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Dealer Update:
Apparently my car had leaking O-rings, which caused my issues. They replaced them and my car should be ready for pick up tomorrow, after they test everything again.

Is this a common issue with Mazda 3s?
Wait and see if your problem is solved- the O rings could be a shot in the dark.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts