2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously wrote a thread about my car starting hard. It started after I began working from home due to the pandemic, but has continued. I initially thought it was due to driving less or bad gas.

Dealer Trip #1: Mazda dealer updated modules (?) that were drawing too much power. (3 weeks ago). Problem continued.
Dealer Trip #2: Mazda dealer tested the battery, said it was failing. They replaced it under the warranty. (last week) Problem continued the day after.

After sitting overnight, my car starts hard in the morning still. It hesitates and then finally turns over- I don't see any flickering lights on the dashboard or headlight dimming. I just returned from a 500 miles trip to PA, no issues while driving, only starting the car each day.

Before I head to the dealer again, any general idea on the cause of this?

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It could be anything with electricity or sensor issue, which is no good. If your 3rd or 4th visit still doesn't fix, call Mazda corporate and open a case. They will work with dealer to resolve the issue. If you still think it's not solved, then I would go for the lemon law.. It'll take a long time to fight for it, but if they acknowledge issue that is non-mechanical, then there's higher change you'll qualify.

When I bought this car in January (2020 model), I had an oil leak. I had to visit dealer 4 times to get it fixed. They resealed oil pan and timing cover twice, each. I opened case with corporate, but they said ecu/electricity issue will be much harder to diagnose. Good luck and make sure you keep the service records!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@frslee Thanks for responding back. I messaged you back earlier today. I have another appointment (3rd time) to try and fix this tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I would love to avoid the whole lemon law thing o_O

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hear you. Even if you qualify for the lemon, who knows how long it'll take and dealing with dealer. An attorney probably needs to be involved as well. Not fun

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally made an account just so I can reply because I can relate.

OP, you're not alone on this one. Mine also hesitates when I try to start it. I have a dashcam powered through the OBDII port and notice that accessory power doesn't power off right away (takes 5 min to shut off).

I brought my car to the dealership about 4x regarding this issue. 1st time I brought it in they did not do a battery replacement under warranty due to 'Aftermarket Dashcam' .. Now.. they gave me instructions on how to preserve what's left (completely unplug the dashcam when the car is off), which is what I've been doing. Yet the car still hesitates and/or fails to turn on. I have to resort to jumping it via portable jump starter.

I brought it in twice after that for them to examine and diagnose the problem and could not find any power draw other than the dashcam. Both times they advised the same thing, unplug the dashcam completely when the car is off. Which I do. Mind you both these appointments were 1.5 months apart. I brought it in a 4th time when the car completely failed to start up. This was about a week after the last appointment.

Their diagnosis resulted in the battery failing the test but passed once they fully charge it.. voiding a warranty replacement. They could not find any other power draw other than the dashcam. Which resulted in me not using it at all. As I am writing this, my car is constantly hesitating starting up and occasionally dying and having to jumpstart it back up. All of which my dashcam has not been connected AT ALL.

So in your case.. if you have anything plugged into the USB ports or 12V socket. Unplug them as they're constantly on..

I'm in Canada and here we don't have a lemon law. All I can do is keep fighting. I'm honestly debating trading this headache in for the new Turbo..

tldr; Same thing is happening to me, but my battery dies sometimes requiring a jump. Dealership won't replace battery and can't find source of power loss.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
82 Posts
I think most everyone that has one of these cars has this”problem”. But so do a lot of other push-start vehicles. I’m almost positive it’s normal behavior.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you. Even if you qualify for the lemon, who knows how long it'll take and dealing with dealer. An attorney probably needs to be involved as well. Not fun
Yes, that is probably quite a long process. I just want my car back to normal. :( New York State has lemon laws for new and used vehicles. I hired a lawyer for my accident last fall when I was rear-ended and at the time lived in PA. The dealer has been great to work with, but if they can't find/fix the issue, I will be contacting a lawyer. With the lemon law (at least in NY) the manufacturer is required to pay the lawyer fees, not the customer. If you find you a reputable and experienced lawyer, they make the process easier and faster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think most everyone that has one of these cars has this”problem”. But so do a lot of other push-start vehicles. I’m almost positive it’s normal behavior.
It doesn't seem like a $25,000 new car should barely start each day I drive it. Today it struggled to start again and there was a strong gas smell. If it's loss wire or something, I just would like it fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's "difficult starting" in your case? 2 seconds to turnover? 6 seconds? Do you have to hold down the push button?
I would say my 2020 takes a fraction longer to start than I would expect, but I wouldn't call it difficult.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally made an account just so I can reply because I can relate.

OP, you're not alone on this one. Mine also hesitates when I try to start it. I have a dashcam powered through the OBDII port and notice that accessory power doesn't power off right away (takes 5 min to shut off).

I brought my car to the dealership about 4x regarding this issue. 1st time I brought it in they did not do a battery replacement under warranty due to 'Aftermarket Dashcam' .. Now.. they gave me instructions on how to preserve what's left (completely unplug the dashcam when the car is off), which is what I've been doing. Yet the car still hesitates and/or fails to turn on. I have to resort to jumping it via portable jump starter.

I brought it in twice after that for them to examine and diagnose the problem and could not find any power draw other than the dashcam. Both times they advised the same thing, unplug the dashcam completely when the car is off. Which I do. Mind you both these appointments were 1.5 months apart. I brought it in a 4th time when the car completely failed to start up. This was about a week after the last appointment.

Their diagnosis resulted in the battery failing the test but passed once they fully charge it.. voiding a warranty replacement. They could not find any other power draw other than the dashcam. Which resulted in me not using it at all. As I am writing this, my car is constantly hesitating starting up and occasionally dying and having to jumpstart it back up. All of which my dashcam has not been connected AT ALL.

So in your case.. if you have anything plugged into the USB ports or 12V socket. Unplug them as they're constantly on..

I'm in Canada and here we don't have a lemon law. All I can do is keep fighting. I'm honestly debating trading this headache in for the new Turbo..

tldr; Same thing is happening to me, but my battery dies sometimes requiring a jump. Dealership won't replace battery and can't find source of power loss.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry you had to go through this- weird that Canada doesn't have a lemon law. It doesn't seem like a dash cam could cause these issues by itself, but i'm pretty clueless about cars. I hope you're able to get some resolve with this or trade it in. The turbo does look pretty sweet- I hear turbos are likely to increase the chance of speeding tickets :)

With my car, I've never used the 9 volt adapter (power station) and I have no aftermarket accessories on the car. I only plug in my iPod for apple music while driving. I dropped off the car this morning and am hoping they can find the issue. After my car finally started today, it smelled like gas in the cabin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's "difficult starting" in your case? 2 seconds to turnover? 6 seconds? Do you have to hold down the push button?
I would say my 2020 takes a fraction longer to start than I would expect, but I wouldn't call it difficult.
Some days it won't start the first time. Generally, it take 6 or 7 seconds to finally start. I've tried holding the button and just pressing it quickly, with little difference. My main concern is that there's a bigger problem that may leave me stranded sometime or it just won't start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After you finish a drive, can the car be restarted right after without issue? If it's ok, that suggests the alternator and charging system are ok and recharging the battery.

If the problem is only after sitting overnight, have you tried plugging in a battery tender/float charger? You could even disconnect the battery after you park (when it's charged) and reconnect in the morning. This would help nail down that there is some sort of phantom draw that is draining the battery while parked. From there Mazda should have the best equipment to diagnose what could be draining the battery. I would keep going back to the dealer until it's resolved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After you finish a drive, can the car be restarted right after without issue? If it's ok, that suggests the alternator and charging system are ok and recharging the battery.

If the problem is only after sitting overnight, have you tried plugging in a battery tender/float charger? You could even disconnect the battery after you park (when it's charged) and reconnect in the morning. This would help nail down that there is some sort of phantom draw that is draining the battery while parked. From there Mazda should have the best equipment to diagnose what could be draining the battery. I would keep going back to the dealer until it's resolved.
Yes, if i'm out driving the car will start again with no issues. It's only after it sits for a few hours or overnight that it struggles to start. Unfortunately, I don't have that equipment and I live in an apartment. I may try disconnecting the battery if they don't find the issue today. It would be logical that something is pulling power from the battery, but I don't remember having issues until around March (drove for 6 months trouble free). I love my car and hope they can find/fix the problem. After the 4th attempt and no resolution, i'm going to consider the lemon law thing. I'm would still get another Mazda...

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
82 Posts
It doesn't seem like a $25,000 new car should barely start each day I drive it. Today it struggled to start again and there was a strong gas smell. If it's loss wire or something, I just would like it fixed.
Two things. I had a big issue once. I revved my engine on the highway and went in to limp mode. 40k miles so didn’t expect it for sure. I ran a diagnostic and got back codes for the fuel rail pressure sensor. In the end, I read somewhere online that Mazda has a lot of issues with their gas caps failing early. I would suggest once in a while you put some octane booster in it and get a new gas cap. Mine has not done this since so I really think it was the gas cap. These things could be related. My car sometimes still takes longer to start. I may one day change to an aftermarket fuel pump and change that fuel rail pressure sensor, probably the fuel filter too.
I guess what I’m suggesting is, try replacing the gas cap first. It’s cheap and may help.

Always keep in mind that the Japanese only use “premium” gas. So issues present with 87 octane likely won’t present themselves over there when testing the fuel system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two things. I had a big issue once. I revved my engine on the highway and went in to limp mode. 40k miles so didn’t expect it for sure. I ran a diagnostic and got back codes for the fuel rail pressure sensor. In the end, I read somewhere online that Mazda has a lot of issues with their gas caps failing early. I would suggest once in a while you put some octane booster in it and get a new gas cap. Mine has not done this since so I really think it was the gas cap. These things could be related. My car sometimes still takes longer to start. I may one day change to an aftermarket fuel pump and change that fuel rail pressure sensor, probably the fuel filter too.
I guess what I’m suggesting is, try replacing the gas cap first. It’s cheap and may help.

Always keep in mind that the Japanese only use “premium” gas. So issues present with 87 octane likely won’t present themselves over there when testing the fuel system.
Thanks for sharing, I may give that a try. Could a malfunctioning gas cap really cause the starting issue?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up my car from dealership for the 3rd time on Friday, they said "could not duplicate". The service advisor is great, I don't think the technicians are putting in any effort or don't want to invest time because Mazda only pays them so much for diagnosis. They didn't even hook up the battery to test it- last time it showed power was being drained from somewhere in the car. They just tried to start it after sitting for one day.

In addition to starting hard (taking 6-7 seconds to start), my car now smells terribly like gasoline in the cabin after startup or when running in park. To ensure i'm not crazy, my dad rode with me yesterday and smelled it as well. (Note: there wasn't any gas spill, etc.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I picked up my car from dealership for the 3rd time on Friday, they said "could not duplicate". The service advisor is great, I don't think the technicians are putting in any effort or don't want to invest time because Mazda only pays them so much for diagnosis. They didn't even hook up the battery to test it- last time it showed power was being drained from somewhere in the car. They just tried to start it after sitting for one day.

In addition to starting hard (taking 6-7 seconds to start), my car now smells terribly like gasoline in the cabin after startup or when running in park. To ensure i'm not crazy, my dad rode with me yesterday and smelled it as well. (Note: there wasn't any gas spill, etc.)
Any chance of getting a printout of your engine code check off the dealership?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts