2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a problem once in a while where I try to put my standard tranny into reverse and it won't pop in, and I have to give it 3 or 4 shots before it will click in. It only happens once every few weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

I'm going to take her to the dealership for an oil change at 5000 kilometers (next month), so I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I have a feeling it may be hard to replicate, so I'm hoping for some input from you guys.

Anyone else have this issue at all?

·
1,091 Posts
I've occasionally had issues shifting into first or reverse in a variety of manual transmission cars for one reason or another. Usually I just shift to another gear (while still holding the clutch down), then back to neutral, then try the gear again. I don't have any particular rhyme or reason to it, it's just something random and not reproducible that I've lived with.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link Reed. Stupid Mazda.

I was driving a crappy Saturn before this with a MT and never had a problem. I usually pop her into neutral a few times before it works, but I'll try your idea Catchphrase. See if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'll definitely mention it to Mazda @ my oil change.

Not possible that I could have worn out the clutch as was suggested to the folks by Mazda in the other thread, noticed the problem about 2000KM ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same problem. I feel like it's not so much the shifter as it is the transmission in general... I have to let the clutch out and put the clutch back in in order for me to be able to shift into reverse. I know someone else on this forum, I think it was Corksport Chris, said that it might be the slave cylinder not allowing the clutch to fully engage resulting in some of us not being able to shift into reverse or other gears. But regardless this should not be happening with cars that have less than 5000 miles... or even 20,000 miles for that matter. Missmiel... when you do take it in do you mind letting the rest of us know what the dealership said? I gotta take mine in next month as well and I will also let everyone know what they said about it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Missmiel... when you do take it in do you mind letting the rest of us know what the dealership said? I gotta take mine in next month as well and I will also let everyone know what they said about it.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This happens to me occasionally. I'm not worried...I just put it into neutral, let out the clutch again, and try again, and it will go smoothly. This has happened since new (now at 16k) so I chalk it up to being a quirk. I've noticed that the transmission is not syncro'd on reverse gear, unlike the Audi that I had years back, so if you're rolling forward just the slightest amount when you try to shift into reverse, it will be more difficult or it will grind. Learned that the hard way on my '87 Wrangler - not all manual transmissions are the same!

Granted, I'm talking about the 5-speed, which may or may not be of similar design to the 6-speed. Some or all of what I said may not apply to you...The 2.slow is the budget engine in the 3, so I assume my tranny is the same. Maybe the 6-speed is a different design? :confused1:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the 5 speed do you have to push the shifter down and into reverse?

I have an appt for Oct 2nd. They better not be jerks! lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
In the 5 speed do you have to push the shifter down and into reverse?

l
Nope. Just all the way to the right and back, no special gates or anything.

I'd ask them anyway. If they're dicks, well you're no worse off information-wise (and chances are they're not that pleasant to deal w/ for an oil change either so you're better off dumping them)...but if they do help out, then problem solved (just don't forget to write! :cheesy:)

·
Registered
987 Posts
had a civic that did the same thing. just slip the clutch a little as you're trying to get it in. also...check your brake fluid level. if it's low the clutch may not fully dis-engage.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
This issue happened in my 2008 and the 2010. There was a thread on another forum that had a bunch of people with the same problem.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Fine tuning the shifter makes a world of difference.....but even with that I get an occasional difficulty with first......never 2nd though. What I do is just go back to neutral then to 1st again and it always goes into gear.

Try tuning the shifter...highly recommended.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try tuning the shifter...highly recommended.
Do you think it's something I should mention to the dealer to try next month? Or will they have the brains to try it themselves?

·
1,091 Posts
"Tuning the shifter" implies with messing with a set screw tied with the shift lever. Some people who installed the JBarone short shift plate found a need with doing this. I wouldn't assume this has significant relevance to a car without this mod. If you couldn't get the shifter into gear all the time, particularly with adding this part, then yes this might be necessary.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Strangely, I haven't had this problem since I last posted about it. I'll get them to look at it anyhow, I don't really drive my car a huge amount, so maybe it just hasn't had the opportunity to mess up again?

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Hmm, seems my post didn't go through last night. Anyway, I had (or thought I had) posted that a lot of mz3/ms3 owners change out the mtx fluid with Redline MT90 or RoyalPurple Maxgear 75w90 and their shifting was improved where most don't complain about grinding or notchiness and it seems to feel better in a variety of temperatures. I'm thinking of doing this over the weekend if time permits to see if that helps 1-2, 2-3 (sometimes) and reverse

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to have a problem once in a while where I try to put my standard tranny into reverse and it won't pop in, and I have to give it 3 or 4 shots before it will click in. It only happens once every few weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

I'm going to take her to the dealership for an oil change at 5000 kilometers (next month), so I'll mention it to them and see what they say. I have a feeling it may be hard to replicate, so I'm hoping for some input from you guys.

Anyone else have this issue at all?
I have an 08 mazda3 hatchback 5 SPD manual with 40000 miles , I'm having issues putting it in reverse sometime. Putting the car on 1st and then straight to reverse seems to help; I'll schedule an appointment with the dealership; I ll keep u posted .

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Every manual car I've owned has had this issue with reverse. I almost always go from 1st or 2nd in to reverse; it's habit now.

As for adjusting the shifter...I always recommend doing the adjustment with or without a shift plate or short shifter installed. It helps, believe me.

You can find the instructions to make the adjustment at Jamiesplanet.com.

Thanks,
Jamie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts