2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know if the plugs for the infotainment and the standard radio are the same? I just curious if re-wiring the plug would allow a radio swap. Mazda being Mazda.. there's no way it could be that simple.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Does any one know if the plugs for the infotainment and the standard radio are the same? I just curious if re-wiring the plug would allow a radio swap. Mazda being Mazda.. there's no way it could be that simple.
The standard unit is a single DIN unit with the speaker wires going to the back of the unit. The Bose unit has a separate tuner in the footwell of the passenger side and an amp underneath the passenger seat going to the speakers so the wiring is completely different. Add to that a different antenna that requires taking off the headliner. In addition, there is a backup camera and a tie-in to car settings. Basically, it would be cheaper to trade the car in for a higher model than to modify it for infotainment. Replacing the DIN unit with an aftermarket unit is also problematic because you'd need a custom bezel for it and right now I don't think there are any units that would work. If you want better audio, you can add a LOC, amp and speakers. If you want a back-up camera, you can buy an add on unit. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts