2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking for options to upgrade my rotors or just replacing the current ones with OEM parts.

Upon my research I found that the 2.0L and 2.5L rotors have different part numbers (Japan Built):

2.0L Part# B45A-33-251A
2.5L Part# B45G-33-251A

Therefore, I beg to ask, what's the difference? are the 2.5L rotors bigger? Can I put a 2.5L rotor disc on a 2.0L car?

Also, I have read the threads, but I can't find solid recommendations about a good set of rotors for my 2.0L, I'll appreciate if anyone has a link or recommendation. Also I don't know if it's worth to upgrade the front brakes with the Corksport package that is worth approx.1100 USD

Thanks for clarifying! :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking for options to upgrade my rotors or just replacing the current ones with OEM parts.

Upon my research I found that the 2.0L and 2.5L rotors have different part numbers (Japan Built):

2.0L Part# B45A-33-251A
2.5L Part# B45G-33-251A

Therefore, I beg to ask, what's the difference? are the 2.5L rotors bigger? Can I put a 2.5L rotor disc on a 2.0L car?

Also, I have read the threads, but I can't find solid recommendations about a good set of rotors for my 2.0L, I'll appreciate if anyone has a link or recommendation. Also I don't know if it's worth to upgrade the front brakes with the Corksport package that is worth approx.1100 USD

Thanks for clarifying! :)
Here's a review of the BBKs.
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ndling/183234-anyone-using-corksport-bbk.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Comparing Beck/Arnley rotors on Rockauto it shows that the 2.5 rotors are 15 mm larger than the 2.0 rotors. Rears show same rotor

Don

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comparing Beck/Arnley rotors on Rockauto it shows that the 2.5 rotors are 15 mm larger than the 2.0 rotors. Rears show same rotor

Don
Thanks for the info! So if I were too buy OEM Rotors, can I put 2.5L rotors on a 2.0L set up?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the info! So if I were too buy OEM Rotors, can I put 2.5L rotors on a 2.0L set up?
Well, it's obvious, you can't put larger rotor on caliper that is designed for smaller rotor size. If you want to upgrade to bigger size rotors you will need also new calipers/brackets.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for clarifying! Helped me a lot!

So I have 3 choices, OEM rotors or upgrading to rotors offered by the brakeperformance website:

1- 2.0L OEM Rotors at TascaParts costs $120.

2- Premium Dimpled & Slotted Brake Kit , Front & Rear (4 Wheel Brake Kit) with Ceramic Premium Pads $328.65 :
Premium Dimpled & Slotted Brake Kit

3- Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Kit, Front & Rear (4 Wheel Brake Kit) with Ceramic Premium Pads $270.65
Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Kit

Which option do you think is the best? Also I don't know this company, but they claim that the rotors are manufactured in the US.
Finally, If I pull the trigger I'm deciding that maybe I should get the Silver Zync coating but I'm not sure. Black or Silver?

Appreciate everyone's help a lot!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@LiX, I was reading reviews about the rotors in other forums, and they look pretty solid. Compared to the OEM rotors I would say they are a big improvement over stock.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know :)

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
Better pads will make a difference up to a point. Use only pads designed for street use. High friction pads generally don't work well cold. Hawk, EBC, Porterfield are good names to look at.
I would steer clear of those rotors. They are super cheap and probably not very well designed. At well under $300 for the whole set of 4 with pads, quality is almost certainly well below OEM. Some of the reviews are disturbing too.
If you want to put good drilled / slotted rotors on, look at StopTech / Centric or Disk Brakes of Australia.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to add bigger brakes and calipers just for overkill, I just was curious if there was a difference between the 2.0L and the 2.5L rotors, which there clearly is.

What I want is a better braking experience and better rotors, not the crappy OEM Rotors since I'm an spirited driver.

@arathol, BTW, I remembered you have DBA's on your 3 or Miata? How is the experience?

I have the option to buy DBA T2 Slotted Rotors for the front, for 490USD including shipping and taxes. I guess this price would be reasonable.

Would it be recommended to change or order any other pieces before I order, like pads, etc?
Would stock brake pads and calipers do a fine job with upgraded rotors?

Thanks!

·
SpeedySpeedBoy313
52 Posts
Better pads will make a difference up to a point. Use only pads designed for street use. High friction pads generally don't work well cold. Hawk, EBC, Porterfield are good names to look at.
I would steer clear of those rotors. They are super cheap and probably not very well designed. At well under $300 for the whole set of 4 with pads, quality is almost certainly well below OEM. Some of the reviews are disturbing too.
If you want to put good drilled / slotted rotors on, look at StopTech / Centric or Disk Brakes of Australia.
I can't seem to find stoptech sport slotted rotors for the 2.5. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
383 Posts
You can get away with the cx5 setup for the front but i'd be leery to run that on the rear since the cx5 has had a recall or tsb on their rear calipers due to seizing up. You could run the mz6 rear brakes. The mz6 and cx5 share front brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There's no reason to replace the rear calipers, they're perfectly fine for the weight of the car. Replacing the front calipers on a street driven car is going to be pointless, since the only improvement from a larger rotor is heat dissipation. If you went with Corksport's BBK, you'd succeed in only screwing up your braking bias and reducing overall braking performance.

If you want a "great braking experience", get more aggressive pads and fab up some stainless steel braking lines.

Reactions: dd18

·
Registered
900 Posts
I kinda agree with the idea of better pads and lines. JapanParts.com sells Autoexe lines and pads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts