2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Canadian 2017 Mazda 3, I have auto headlights. The order of operation of the headlight control switch is off, auto, parking lights on, headlights on. I recently installed an hid kit, replacing my stock halogen bulbs. I want to stop using the auto headlight function because I don't want the lights to come on and off in dark lit places when it's not night time, potentially shortening the lifespan of my bulbs.

I figured okay no problem, I will simply manually turn them on and off. But, let's think about this. In order to go from headlight on to off I have to first go headlight on, parking light on (which turns off the headlights at this point), Auto (which will now turn the headlights back on again), and finally Off. Shouldn't Auto be somewhere near the ends and not bang in the middle of the selector switch?

So basically I have to leave my lights in the parking light on position all the time unless I want to turn my headlights on. And then my Dash will show the parking light on symbol illuminated all the time, which also happens to be the same symbol when the headlights are on...

I'm totally baffled, unless I'm really missing something here

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
When I Park the car and shut off the lights, I wait until after the car is shut off before I turn the light switch. Auto won't trigger when the car is off, so no Momentary flash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
The fact is it's designed to be used primarily in auto mode with a manual override.

Recognize that you are modifying the car and trying to use it other than intended for the vast majority of users out there. For you the switch order may not be ideal. For the other 99% of users out there it's in the right order.

For your use you why not flip between off and auto as though it's the off and on switch anyways. You can leave the switch in the off position by default, then when it gets dark out flip it to auto and the headlights will turn on as though the switch is in the on position. To help control the ambient light level where the auto function activates the headlights to lean the default to off or on you can adjust the sensor sensitivity to either extreme in the car settings menu.

This would actually be easier as you won't have to flip through the other 2 positions on the switch and when in the off position you won't have the icon in your cluster.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's why I love my 2014 switch without the 'auto' feature

my last car (2014 Honda Accord Coupe) had the auto feature in the stalk as well, and I had HID's in it and had the same exact issue you are describing.

Since my mazda doesn't have the auto feature so the stalk simply has on - parking - off
Perhaps you can get the stalk for a 14' and swap it out
Someone made a how-to on how to install fog lights, and that includes replacing the headlight/turn signal stalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's why I love my 2014 switch without the 'auto' feature

my last car (2014 Honda Accord Coupe) had the auto feature in the stalk as well, and I had HID's in it and had the same exact issue you are describing.

Since my mazda doesn't have the auto feature so the stalk simply has on - parking - off
Perhaps you can get the stalk for a 14' and swap it out
Someone made a how-to on how to install fog lights, and that includes replacing the headlight/turn signal stalk
The '17 Sport doesn't have the feature either. I wish I could retrofit mine to have it but based on the wiring diagrams it looks like there is more to it than changing the stalk.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I actually think the order it is now is fine. That's how it is in my previous two cars with auto lights. I usually leave it off or on auto, rarely do I ever turn it to the on position. I leave it on auto most of the time and for when I don't need it coming on/off all the time, I'll just turn it off then at night or when dark enough I'll just flick it to auto and it'll turn on. Never had any hassle with this setup and my car comes with bixenon headlights already.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually think the order it is now is fine. That's how it is in my previous two cars with auto lights. I usually leave it off or on auto, rarely do I ever turn it to the on position. I leave it on auto most of the time and for when I don't need it coming on/off all the time, I'll just turn it off then at night or when dark enough I'll just flick it to auto and it'll turn on. Never had any hassle with this setup and my car comes with bixenon headlights already.
I find it gets too dark before they come on, even with the lightest setting

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
I just forego the auto function altogether. I prefer control over all my systems. Same with auto wipers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts