2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Accidentally ran over one of those concrete parking stop things..ouch! It dented the rail at the bottom but does not seem like any other damage. Question - the frame coating is chipped, is it important to touch it up to prevent rust? I live in Southern California. Am I missing any other possible damage?

I slipped the clutch a bit in an effort to drive to back out but couldn't, probably put a little wear on the clutch.. it does not seem quite as grippy now or perhaps that is just my imagination!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KYeQ24LkLlfwaKer1

·
Registered
988 Posts
Accidentally ran over one of those concrete parking stop things..ouch! It dented the rail at the bottom but does not seem like any other damage. Question - the frame coating is chipped, is it important to touch it up to prevent rust? I live in Southern California. Am I missing any other possible damage?
My wife did exactly the same to our car last week, what you chipped and bent is the lower fender frame, it might require special tools to re-position it back to place but it's nothing super serious and you can rest calm.

I did not do any touch up paint paint since I frankly doubt that it will rust at a rate that it will eat the entire metal sheet, but I might do it tough just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
369 Posts
How fast were you going?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How fast were you going?
5mph perhaps? Actually what happened was that I was going to back out of the parking spot but for some dumb reason I decided to go forward to exit the lot. I failed to notice there were concrete stoppers as the area was very poorly lit - we are talking about an open air parking lot here not a building. There was a bit of play between the tire and the stopper so enough momentum to jump it. I did not launch very hard or anything just a normal start so it was just enough to jump the stopper and fall back on the other side. Also, the stopper was a small piece so the left tire did not jump it only the right side. I eventually had to do sort of a 3pt turn to get out of the situation.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just hit it with some spray paint to seal it up and carry on, sh*t happens.

Clutch is likely fine, likely your imagination and guilt / worry about knowing what you did LOL.

Reactions: kms1990

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Just hit it with some spray paint to seal it up and carry on, sh*t happens.

Clutch is likely fine, likely your imagination and guilt / worry about knowing what you did LOL.
what he said. i cant tell you how many cars i see with bent pieces like that from that exact thing. i laugh at the lowered honda guys that bitch about bending shit when their car sits not but 1/2" off the ground. cluttch is likely your imagination getting anxiety over this, i know how that goes dont worry about it

·
Registered
327 Posts
the 2x4 that I use on top of the floor jack arm/cup pushes against the rail when I lift from the jack point:frown2:

I probably just suck at finding the lift points lol.
If you want to be cheap: get a hockey puck and cut a relief in it to lift on the body around the pinch weld instead of the pinch weld itself.
If you want to be baller buy a pinch-weld adapter plate for your jack.

Do not cut a slot in a piece of wood to use as an adapter, it can weaken and crack / break out of position while under load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts