2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, after 3 shops and 3 different opinions, I need some help from you all.

Saturday 5/20/2017, hit a curb head on at about 25 mph with both drivers side wheels. Got out, everything looks good except the rim and minor sidewall damage. (photos attached). I developed a noticeable pulsing vibration in the floorboards anywhere from 40mph to 80mph, which goes away when I bear left. When I bear right, it gets worse.

Took it to an independent shop, he said no issues whatsoever. Alignment was good, he balanced the wheel, and said any further issues would require two new tires. Took it to the dealer later, they advised a new wheel bearing and two new tires (estimated $1k). Took it to a tire shop later, they said it was a vibration due to tire wear, and to "just deal with it." I can't accept that, as the noise is prohibitive to the bluetooth phone, and listening to music at high speeds. They rotated the front tires and sent me on my way, but the noise persists from the same driver side area. I'm getting a road force balance soon, to see if the wheel/tire is out of round (only $30!)

The noise still comes from the same area, so it's not the tire (which has been rotated to the opposite side). All major components are fine (tie rods, control arms, etc.) so I'm kind of at a loss. I do not have a video or recording of the sound, but it is basically this: a pulsing, rhythmic vibration through in the floorboards that you can feel around 40mph, and hear around 70mph+.

Do I need a new wheel bearing, new wheel/tire, or is it something else?

UPDATE: independent shop finally correctly diagnosed it. The rear wheel bearing needs replacing. Total cost is $320 ($157 for the part, $25 to overnight it, $138 for labor). It wasn't diagnosed properly by THREE SHOPS, which is astounding. And though the dealer correctly diagnosed it, they did not denote on their estimate, or in conversation with me, which wheel bearing was busted (my fault for not clarifying).

I also got a Road Force Balance test on the two affected wheels for $65, and though the wheels are technically just barely bent, they do not need immediate replacing and shouldn't cause issue. The tires definitely don't need replacing.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The noise could be a wheel bearing. Did they put it on a lift and spin the tires to check for the noise?
I would replace the tires also. Shop around to get a better price quote.

·
Super Moderator
5,674 Posts
Probably bent the half shaft slightly.
Replace the tires, don't drive at high speeds with sidewall damage like that. Your asking for a blowout. The stock Dunlops are crap anyhow, take advantage of the situation and replace the set with decent tires.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You more than likely bent both rims. Get that tire replaced asap. You're asking for a blowout. Plus that would fail safety inspection

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing happened to me earlier this month

I've got that sound too, my friend curbed my wheel when he borrowed my car for a few days and i got the wheel all fixed up and my tyres are fine but that sound is a bit worrysome :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any update on your situation?

I took mine in for a Road Force Balance, they determined the rims are both very slightly bent, but my tires would pass inspection. No further information at the moment.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Any update on your situation?

I took mine in for a Road Force Balance, they determined the rims are both very slightly bent, but my tires would pass inspection. No further information at the moment.
I agree with all above comments, that your tires are needing immediate replacement. Who cares if they would pass inspection. What is important is your life, the lives of your passengers and the lives of those around your car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts