2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've got a 2011 3s 6 speed that just rolled 6,000 miles. I love everything about the car but am feeling the urge for more power - so much so that I'm considering a trade for a Speed in about 6 months, when I'll have substantially more equity in the car. Why? The aftermarket support for the car is weak at best. I got this is as an economical commuter, but day in and day out of driving it makes it clear that the car's fantastic chassis writes checks that its engine can't cash, if you know what I mean. I owned a Trans Am for a number of years and got spoiled by the huge aftermarket and modding options available. There's just not that much out there for this car, and it's a shame.

I've heard a few rumors that the 2.5 motor is detuned - that OBD II logging has shown that the throttle plate only opens to 85% and that the air-fuel ratio at WOT is a terrible 11:1. In this day and age, a 2.5L motor - large for a small economy car - should be putting out more than 167hp. Hyundai's new 2.4 in the Sonata is putting out 200 hp, for example. There should be a killing to be made here for aftermarket tuners, but so far I've only heard of Dynotronics in Texas, with their claims of 23whp on a stock car. 23whp improvement on a car that typically dynos between 135 and 155whp would go a long way toward allowing this car to fulfill more of its potential, with bolt ons offering further improvement. Still, they're 2000 miles away from me in Texas and there is no way to get a tune from them without taking the car off the road for several days. What I want to know is this: why aren't there other tuning solutions available? Where is Hypertech with this car? I emailed them asking about potential future support for this motor and heard nothing back.

Again, I love the car, but I'm feeling kind of trapped with it, in the sense that there's no real upgrade path available for it several years after the 2nd gen model's introduction. I'm not considering stuff like rigged up STS universal turbo kits or the Tri-Point kit to be legitimate options for new cars with a warranty - I don't want a race car, just a quick daily driver.

·
So Far So Good
189 Posts
There is only dptune so far. Unfortunately very few people (forum active members) got this reflash, at least for the 2.5, no dyno etc. this sounds like a risky business in my opinion.

I'm trying to get in touch with them but no success yet. Since I can afford to ship my ECU in the mail, I would like to evaluate the possibility of getting an used ECU to be reflashed. Their tune is probably great but why is it still so enigmatic?

I think the 2.5L will always be in the shadow of its 2.3 DISI big brother. With the release of the sky-activ that should not help for the future, just my impression.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Doesn't Hypertech do your platform yet?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, no Hypertech. Contacted them to see if there is an ETA on a programmer, but that was a month ago and I've heard nothing back. The aftermarket is just not responding to this car - obviously the terrible economy has to be partly to blame, and I've heard that this car has a fussy ECU that is locked down really tight by Mazda.

With Dynotronics, the guy sounds legit and I've emailed back and forth with him a few times, but he's doing a terrible job getting word out about what he has to offer (his website does not mention the 2.5 at all) and I've yet to see an actual dyno of his tune. 23whp and 30 ft lbs of torque is a big claim that deserves some data.

BTW, I asked him about the possibility of sending a used ECU in for tuning and he said that it can't be done as the ECU and car are married during assembly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Given the amazing lack of options for tuning, I'm actually scheduling a week off between jobs to send my ecu into Dynotronics. Not expecting anything miraculous for my 2.0L, but some extra power and 1:1 throttle mapping will make my daily driver more entertaining. Problem is I have to wait until february.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's with all the Mazda's (ECU being a PITA to unlock fully).

Thanks for the info on the HT.

Tell me this, is it just the 2.5 they don't have it out for ?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
It's with all the Mazda's (ECU being a PITA to unlock fully).

Thanks for the info on the HT.

Tell me this, is it just the 2.5 they don't have it out for ?
The reason it is detuned is because it would impede upon the speed3 market. If they offered the car with 180-200 hp without a turbo, some of the potential buyers of the speed3 would no longer be interested. I believe this engine has alot to offer but as someone else stated, the bad economy, SkyActiv engine, and ECU are holding it back

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would have went MS3, but the wife can't drive a stick shift....The only thing I have been able to do is intake, resonator removal, and ignition timing advance from the sensor at the crank. I also noticed the compression ratio is quite low compared to other N/A cars such as the Civic Si.

·
StreetUnit "The Flash"
169 Posts
I agree on the detuning aspect relative to the speed3 market, people would modify the 3 and it could compete with a stock speed3. I also think that the lack of 3 owners ready AND willing to take the plunge on big mods has really hurt the aftermarket, as well as the economy. The ECU could be overcome it just needs a little more work, but now with SkyActiv I feel like Mazda is trying to make the 3 compete more economically, which means taking away from the performance aspect imo

·
So Far So Good
189 Posts
BTW, I asked him about the possibility of sending a used ECU in for tuning and he said that it can't be done as the ECU and car are married during assembly.
Good to know, it would have been too easy I guess.

I do have a few more bolt-on before I'll take the reflash route. Or I'll start saving for a speed!

·
zoom~
848 Posts
The spark timing after 3900rpm isnt meant for power, I wonder why it is.

Acceleration:

1000rpm: 39
2000rpm: 39
3000rpm: 39
4000rpm: 15
4500rpm: 15
4750rpm: 24
til 6000rpm: 24

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The spark timing after 3900rpm isnt meant for power, I wonder why it is.

Acceleration:

1000rpm: 39
2000rpm: 39
3000rpm: 39
4000rpm: 15
4500rpm: 15
4750rpm: 24
til 6000rpm: 24
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Mazda was super conservative with this ECU.

Dynotronics guy - this would be a prime opportunity to give us a little info about how your tune deals with this, don't you think?

·
Registered
255 Posts
How much does dynotronics charge?

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Mazda was super conservative with this ECU.

Dynotronics guy - this would be a prime opportunity to give us a little info about how your tune deals with this, don't you think?
Sure, what would you like to know?

Let me see if I can answer a few of the questions that are on here;

Yes the ecu is married to the car, but can be replaced. We are looking at a simple solution to be able to have you send us a core unit, have it flashed, then marry it to your car. You can currently do this only here at our shop, or with the dealer. the problem with taking it to the dealer to do, is that they would then want to know what the hell your doing this for, and they might go ahead and overwrite the calibration file as well as the IMMO data files

I would not hold my breath for hypertech to do much for you guys. It took them 5 years after we cracked the 2.3 to put something out on the market for that car. And frankly, they are after a different market; they are going for the folks that just want a quicky one size fits all file, cute but not really that impressive. Not bashing, they offer good customer service, and a decent product, but are constrained by the same laws that hold Mazda and other manufactures back when it comes to liability. Small tuning companies like ours will always be your best bet if you want the higher outputs.

What we charge; thats a good question! 2.0 is 450.00, 2.3 and 2.5 are 500.00. The DISI is 600.00. All prices are plus shipping, but shop shipping prices to give you the best deal. We do lots of business with Fedex, and UPS, so we get good rates.

What we change in the files; well I'm not going to give you the specifics, and I am sure you understand why, but in general; we adjust timing maps, fuel demand maps, closed loop fueling maps(slightly), throttle ratio maps, cam timing maping. This is a general idea, in fact its a whole bunch more complicated; as an example the 2.5 ecu has 13 timing look ups that we have to deal with.

Our turn around time of ecus is 24 hours.

We also do travel and do group tuning days, if your in a club and have enough folks that want to meet in one place at one time. As you might imagine, I prefer to do at a minimum 8-10 cars if I am going to somone elses shop to work across the country, to try to defray travel costs

I hope that answers most of your questions. Yes we really not shouting from the roof tops about our services, but then again, we are a smaller tuning firm, and we really don't have the huge ad budget like HT. And besides, I like to let the work speak for itself.

Feel free to check us out online Dynotronics Tuning - ECU Tuning | Flashing | Remapping | Chip Tuning | From Mazda to Kawasaki and More. Or give us a call ,anytime 866.ECU.TUNE. I am always happy to chat with fellow Mazda racers and owners, and happy to help anyway I can!

·
Registered
161 Posts
^Where are you located ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
O Rlly !!

Buddy has an 07MZ3 (his wife's car) needing to be played with, maybe we'll stop by soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a quick question dynotronics, i appreciate all the support from you to us the MS2.5 crowd but is there a way if any that you guys can do boost tunes? I have a done a few turbo kit on different vehicles myself and it really isn't expensive to create one for the mazda 2.5l so is it possible? Maybe creating a device that you would send the customer to record boost pressure, injector duty cycles, fuel pump output and other details. I mean timing comes crazy low on these cars and they come very rich from factory so it would take too much time. I could be wrong though could you enlighten us please? Sorry for the long post but i had a ford focus 2006 and i plugged my wideband to the car and afr's would hit a consistent 10.8 near redline so i decided to spray it with a dry 75shot. Long story short afr's stay around 12.2 to 1 and would decline as bottle lost pressure. I drove this set up for about two years and not a hiccup. People could not believe it was on a dry shot and it has not blown up(thank you wideband). Phew long post

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
For someone who has an intake, header, and axle-back(pretty sure this affects nothing), what kind of gains can I expect from your tune? Also just curious but can you make the speedo and tach do gauge sweeps when you start the car? I guess I'm just curious how much you can change regarding the engine and associated electronics like the dash, CELs, etc.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts