2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a rough idea of what it costs to repair small dents and scratches in the door of our cars?

Here's my situation: I have a 2015 3sGT hatch in Blue Reflex Mica. A few days ago I parked my car in a city lot while running errands. Someone opened their door into my driver's side rear door. They drove away and left no note. I have three damage spots on the door. There's a low scratch that might be a paint rub that didn't go through the clearcoat. There's an extremely shallow dent at the upper part of the door that maybe can be popped back into place without re-painting. But the worst is right in the middle. It's a 1+ inch diameter dent with paint scratch and it's indented about 1/8 inch (that's a 25mm diameter and about 3-4mm indentation, for you metric folks). The metal isn't quite creased from the edge of their door, but they must have really opened their door HARD. Jerks.

I filed a police report. Luckily, I was parked near city hall, which is surrounded by surveillance cameras. I'm hoping the police have video of the incident and can get a tag number of the car that did the damage. Then maybe I can get the owner or their insurance to pay up or reimburse me. But I'm not counting on it. Most likely I'll never know who did it. I'll try to get my insurance to cover it, but the cost is probably less than my insurance deductible, so I'll probably have to pay out of pocket.

So, long story... short question. For those of you who have had small dents and scratches repaired, what kind of cost might I expect?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Won't be cheap. Repainting the entire door. The bodyshop might suggest you use the paint pen instead. This happened to me just after I got my 2015 3. My neighbour opened her door on my car and left a gouge in the door. I did what I could to fix it, but because it was so small the bodyshop recommended I just use a paint pen and scratch remover to minimize it.
It happened again later in the year, only this time right above the windshield from a stone, so repeating the paint pen and scratch remover, minimizing it because it would be almost $1000 and $700 CDN to repair the roof and door.
Last winter someone keyed my car on the right rear fender, that fortunately only ran me $400 as the guy gave it to me at cost.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't be cheap. Repainting the entire door. The bodyshop might suggest you use the paint pen instead. This happened to me just after I got my 2015 3. My neighbour opened her door on my car and left a gouge in the door. I did what I could to fix it, but because it was so small the bodyshop recommended I just use a paint pen and scratch remover to minimize it.
It happened again later in the year, only this time right above the windshield from a stone, so repeating the paint pen and scratch remover, minimizing it because it would be almost $1000 and $700 CDN to repair the roof and door.
Last winter someone keyed my car on the right rear fender, that fortunately only ran me $400 as the guy gave it to me at cost.
Thanks for the tips. I'll look for a reputable place and get some quotes. If I do need more extensive repair, then my insurance should cover most of it. Full coverage FTW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daughter scraped the front and rear doors pulling into gas station with cement posts they have. There are also dents....alot. 2016 Mazda 3 what would an estimated cost to repair be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts