2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will be (is?) a 2015 S-GT that was built on 14 Oct, in Hiroshima of course. I live in the metro Detroit area. My sales guy was a bit vague about how long it would take to get here. Any idea of the end-to-end time from factory to dealer for this long of a journey?

Now that I know that it exists out there, I'm getting pretty antsy about the wait. The reason I had to go this route at all is because I wanted the S-GT hatch in Blue Reflex with the Almond interior and the dealer was unable to locate one in the entire Midwest. They did have one on the lot with a stick shift, but for my wife's sake I have to have the automatic.

FWIW, the last time I was waiting for an ordered car it was a '04 BMW 325i. But they did a great job of letting me track it from factory to dealer, down to the level where I knew the name of the ship it was loaded onto and was able to track the ship across the Atlantic! That was really cool. Seems the least Mazda could do would be to prioritize a car like this as a "sold car" and put it ahead of cars just going into dealer stock.

·
Registered
412 Posts
For your reference, I ordered my vehicle on calendar week 19; it went into production CW24 and usually spends about a week in production status. From there, it arrived at the port of Jacksonville CW31 and arrived at the dealership the end of the same week. I would allow an additional few days for transit from the port since you are in the Midwest.

The dealer will/should mark your vehicle as a sold order and will have a weekly sheet with your VIN number once it is produced. Process is similar to BMW, just less transparent but I would give it a couple months on the water.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Process is similar to BMW, just less transparent but I would give it a couple months on the water.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of :sad 1:. Really crappy time to pick up a new car in these parts (already expecting snow this afternoon!). But I had no choice in the timing...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I originally was going through a similar process on a car (sGT, manual, hatch, meteor gray with black interor) ordered in late August that was built September 16. A guy a month in front of me ordered one equipped identically through my dealer. His was built in mid-August and he ended up relinquishing the order sometime during the process when it was being shipped. So when it got to the dealer in late September they called me, offered it to me and I took it. In turn, someone will be getting the one I ordered. Sorry for the slight digression. What I learned though is that from the time the car was built in mid-September my dealer expected to have the car (and they claimed they were being conservative) in late October. If you go by the one I ended up with that seems about right (just shifted a month earlier). So that's six weeks from build date to delivery.

My dealer, however, is located less than 100 miles from the main east coast port (Baltimore) so that might cut some of the shipment time (my understanding is that the west coast cars come the fastest, then the east coast/southeast cars, then the rest of the country). Other dealers in eastern PA were quoting me six to eight weeks for ordered cars (from date of order, not necessarily build) and were very comfortable with that number.

Since you're in the midwest my guess is -- and this is just a guess extrapolating from my experience -- you're out at least two months (slightly more than eight weeks) from your build date but probably not too much past that.

Also, it just occurred to me... the car I ordered probably got to my dealer this week so if anyone in eastern PA wants a car identical to mine I can tell you where to go get it... ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a recent change? I can still go to Cars.com and see 2.0L models made in Japan as well as Mexico. I have not checked the 2.5L models.
Not sure. It might be a safe bet that all 2.5L cars are built in Japan, but since they also build 2.0L models there, the ones at U.S. dealers might be a mix of sources.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is a mix of production for the 2 litre version for North America since that carries the largest volume.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts