2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I took off my engine cover, does the cover serve a functional purpose (protecting hood/surrounding components from heat or is it purely aesthetic?)

Reason I ask is because I see this heat protection/padding on the underside of the cover...or is this just to protect the cover itself from heat damage?

·
Registered
274 Posts
it really doesnt weigh much and id rather have that insulation between my manifold and the hood especially since the underside has no insulation.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
NAAAAH , your wrong, it keeps concentrated engine heat off the hood and lowers noise.

You can prove this with a laser thermal reader, also you need the heat in the right places for optimal engine performance.

Can I make an omelette this summer when it 95+ outside on your hood.
YOLO :Na_Na_Na_Na 1:

·
Registered
84 Posts
NAAAAH , your wrong, it keeps concentrated engine heat off the hood and lowers noise.

You can prove this with a laser thermal reader, also you need the heat in the right places for optimal engine performance.

Can I make an omelette this summer when it 95+ outside on your hood.
While it may help with NVH (not sure how much), it also adds heat soak which is not a good thing in my book. Not saying it would matter outside of the track or that anybody even tracks these cars...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Decreases warm up time possibly?

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
On some older cars you can see a faint outline of the engine block on the hood. Most likely from heat. Engine covers most likely prevent that and make the engine look way cleaner.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
It's certainly heat insulation and possibly a fire suppressant as well (maybe). The engine's a little louder without it, I've been keeping mine on since realizing how hot the hood gets without it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is there so they dont have to insulate the whole bottom of the hood. and to cover everything as thats what car companies do now.

Taking it off serves no purpose in any kind of street driven car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Seeing as our hood doesn't have heat insulation on it to protect the paint from engine heat, this is the only barrier between the engine and the hood. I would NOT take that engine cover off unless I put some other kind of heat shield under the hood.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts