2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you say is better? These are the two cars I'm deciding between leasing. Mazda3 is a bit more expensive but the quality is better than the Elantra Sport. The Hyundai has deep bolstered seats, 200hp, and HID headlamps. What do you think is the better choice?

·
Registered
468 Posts
have you driven both?

which do you prefer?

why would you care what we think? it's your money. Buy the one you want and ENJOY IT !

·
Registered
85 Posts
I found when I was searching for a car this past year, the Elantra was not too comfortable seating wise. I'm 6'1" and the depth of the seats caused discomfort as opposed to the Mazda 3 seats. I ended up getting the 2017 2.5L Mazda 3 hatchback, even though it has 15 HP less than Elantra sport because it rides/handles much more proactively as opposed to the elantra.

If the entertainment system is a consideration and you're an iphone/android system user, Hyundai cars have Android Auto / Apple Carplay. Mazda doesn't have this available yet, and there is no confirmed notice that it will be available for Mazda.

Storage wise, the hatchback will win out hands down opposed to the elantra.

Gas mileage efficiency wise, the Elantra sport at 200 HP is about 1.5 -2 mpg more efficient than the 185 HP Mazda 3 Hatchback. But take into consideration that the hatchback is heavier too.

Price wise the Elantra will be winner as opposed to the 2.5L Mazda if you're looking for more power.

As I've not been on the Elantra forums, I do not know the ongoing, if any, reliability or consistent problems with the car.
With the Mazda I can tell you, the newer cars have a softer paint, hence rougher road conditions can be detrimental to the Mazda 3. This is one of the more persistent anecdotal complaints found on the forum. Check the TSB subforum for a better idea for outstanding issues. Powertrain wise, compared to other manufacturers, the Mazda is pretty reliable and there have been no exceptional wide spread issues noted in this generation of Mazda 3s (2014 onwards).

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have been in the Elantra but not on the Elantra GT since we don't have it here in Israel, but IMO the whole feel that a get from a Hyundai is that is feels so CHEAP! Cheap plastic everywhere, and this was a deal breaker for me!

Although, this might not be the case with the Elantra GT and since you have the 2.5L 185HP option over there it all comes down to which car feels right for you.

Test drive both cars and see which one will make you smile when you drive on the city and on the road, for me it was the Mazda 3, great engine, excellent design and fun to drive!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried a lot of cars before I bought a Mazda 3. The steering on the Elantra (non-GT) had a significant dead zone in the center (though the 2016 seemed better than the previous gen). On the highway, the steering had a nervous feel - like I had to constantly think about adjusting the steering wheel to stay in my lane. The steering on the Mazda 3 feels significantly better to me (it does not require as much attention on the highway, and offers good feedback without the center slop of the Hyundai). The Mazda isn't a quiet car, but it did seem quieter than the Elantra at freeway speeds, and the suspension absorbs bumps more gracefully. I wanted to like the Elantra (inexpensive with a long warranty), but the Mazda just feels like a better car. I think I would have also been happy with a Golf, which is much quieter than both the Mazda and the Elantra.

If you're not scared away by the looks, the latest-gen Civic with the 1.5L turbo motor is exciting to drive, economical, and feels higher quality than the Elantras I tried.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Drove a rental Elantra 6 hours up to Butler, Pa to pick up our Mazda3 sGT last September. The Mazda is a better driving car. Love it. Test drove a 3 Bimmer right after test driving a Mazda3 locally. The Mazda beat the Bimmer, hands down. Saved myself about $10-12k.

Ralph

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also, if you put on a lot of miles, the 3 year unlimited mileage of the Mazda3 will likely be worth more than the 5 year 100,000 warranty of the Elantra. Also, even though it doesn't come with it, you can add Android Auto to the 3

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go and test drive both. You'll find that Hyundai's give you more toys standard.

Also the Elantra Sport and the ordinary Elantra are two different cars. The latter doesn't have independent rear suspension so it would be unfair to equate the two.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Also, if you put on a lot of miles, the 3 year unlimited mileage of the Mazda3 will likely be worth more than the 5 year 100,000 warranty of the Elantra. Also, even though it doesn't come with it, you can add Android Auto to the 3
Just a note, the unlimited mileage warranty seems great at first but Mazda service intervals in Canada at least are more frequent and would cost you more in the end.

Owners of 2014-2016 Mazda 3s have to service their car every 8,000 km or 4 months (whichever comes first). So that's 3 fully synthetic oil changes a year which is insane. Luckily, this changed for 2017 onwards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a note, the unlimited mileage warranty seems great at first but Mazda service intervals in Canada at least are more frequent and would cost you more in the end.

Owners of 2014-2016 Mazda 3s have to service their car every 8,000 km or 4 months (whichever comes first). So that's 3 fully synthetic oil changes a year which is insane. Luckily, this changed for 2017 onwards.
True. 8,000 kilometers is still the case in Canada for 2018s.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Service times for "clean" service is 10k miles for our 2016.

Unless you're into dirt track racing or unreasonably short drives before shutdown, you do "clean" service.

Ralph

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm not sure if Hyundai changed anything in 2018 model, but I had personal experience with 2017 Elantra GT. I hated it from bumper to bumper. I was given Elantra GT as comparable to Mz3 HB model rental, after I drove 50 feet I wanted to ask what part of this car is comparable to Mz3? I would rather take a bus. I felt like I'm driving a stool surrounded by plastic with foil wrap. My opinion might be too harsh, but I drove 500 miles in Huyndai and when I got my Mz3 back I said,"now I'm not giving you to anyone", and we cuddle together.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Drove a rental Elantra 6 hours up to Butler, Pa to pick up our Mazda3 sGT last September. The Mazda is a better driving car. Love it. Test drove a 3 Bimmer right after test driving a Mazda3 locally. The Mazda beat the Bimmer, hands down. Saved myself about $10-12k.

Ralph
As a BMW owner, I appreciate your proper use if Bimmer. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I took a 15 elantra sport for a test drive when I was trying to decide. I like Hyundai, I really do. I hated that car. I got maybe a mile or two up the road and turned around. The steering just felt awful to me and the side blind spots were terrible. The Mazda on the other hand handles like a dream :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
It seems there is some confusion between the cars. Using 'GT' and 'Sport' interchangeably isn't correct.

The 2018 Elantra GT Hatchback is based on the J4 platform, also known as the i30 in Europe.

The 2017/8 Elantra Sport sedan is however based on the Avante platform but has independent rear suspension.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own a 2014 3 Touring 2.5, and I recently test-drove the Elantra Sport, intrigued by the incredible discounts available on that car.

It was quick enough but, although the motor was a little more playful than the lugubrious 2.5 in our cars, it didn't feel a whole lot faster. The DCT shifts quickly, and it handled fine as far as I could tell. Small-displacement-turbo power delivery will never feel as natural as NA, even on a car like the 3 that doesn't wake up till about 2500 rpm, but it was livable.

But the big letdown was the interior quality. In pictures the Elantra Sport looks GREAT inside. The gauges are beautiful, the overall shape and angles of the dash seem just right; there are aluminum pedals and sill plates. Nice perforations and textures on the leather seats and flat-bottomed wheel. Etc.

But in the flesh, it feels really cheap. The door panels are high and slab-shaped and covered in hollow plastic. The arm rest, though it extends, feels thin and flimsy. All the surfaces fail the tap test. The fonts and colors on the infotainment screen look crowded and dated. The parking brake is made of a nasty plastic. The buttons and switchgear lack pleasing weight.

When I climbed back into my 3 (which as a 2014 Touring isn't exactly luxurious), it felt like a BMW all of a sudden.

I wanted to like the Elantra; was seriously thinking about getting in on the great deals (around $18k with DCT) and giving the 3 to my older kids. But I don't think I could take years of operating in that interior.

·
Registered
1 Posts
But the big letdown was the interior quality. In pictures the Elantra Sport looks GREAT inside. The gauges are beautiful, the overall shape and angles of the dash seem just right; there are aluminum pedals and sill plates. Nice perforations and textures on the leather seats and flat-bottomed wheel. Etc.

But in the flesh, it feels really cheap. The door panels are high and slab-shaped and covered in hollow plastic. The arm rest, though it extends, feels thin and flimsy. All the surfaces fail the tap test. The fonts and colors on the infotainment screen look crowded and dated. The parking brake is made of a nasty plastic. The buttons and switchgear lack pleasing weight.
This was it for me, the quality of the interior is just just not there in the South Korean cars. They just feel that bit cheaper than the Japanese Mazda, Subies and Honda. If they can improve this aspect without increasing the bottom line too much they’ll have a winner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts