2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to enjoy driving without constantly watching the mpg to achieve the EPA estimates.:biggrin: What's your driving style?

For 80/20 highway/city driving with 55 miles of round-trip commuting, my mpg (based on gas fill up) fluctuates about 2 - 3 mpg depending on the driving style.

If I accelerate very smoothly and never really push down hard on the accelerator, I get about 38.5 mpg which is better than the EPA estimate. However, the driving experience is absolutely no fun in this mode.

If I drive at the speed/acceleration I am used to - which means sometime redlining in 2nd and 3rd gear from a standing start if the road is clear, and frequently downshifting to 4th or 3rd at highway speed to eat up few seconds worth of a gap to the car in front -- I get over 36 mpg, which I still think is a pretty good mpg.

The difference in mpg translates to about $100 to $150 extra gas per year depending on the gas price and the distance traveled. That's about 27 cents to 41 cents a day extra! or one less cup of coffee each week. Of course, I didn't consider how quickly the car may deteriorate, but I don't think I am abusing the car. In fact, occasional high revving may(?) help clear the carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Anyway, I finally found a way to enjoy econo-box Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.0

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
How many miles are on your car? I can't even get 36mpg in my '13 when spending 95% driving conservatively.
You have to baby the gas pedal. I notice when your cruising abd your foot is stuck on that one angle and position to maintain speed it its up alot of gas. Try tapping the pedal to maintain instead. And also car eats up alot of gas on acceleration from a stop i know its slow when you try to step on in light , only option is shift to manual mode and dsc off to get a better quick acceleration. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I got my Sky I ended up having to do the same. I was so fixated on that screen and the numbers I wasn't having any fun in my car. Coming from an engine swapped Neon this wasn't good. I turned the screen to the radio mode and just enjoyed driving my car. I lost maybe 2mpg but was much happier. Since then I have figured out a median. Shifting earlier but using more throttle to get the same acceleration produces better MPG. This past summer I have also had my bike to have fun on. That gets 44+mpg even driving like a total ass. Having my bike has also slowed down my car driving because no matter what my car will never be as fun as my bike. 12 second 1/4 mile and 44+mpg doesn't happen in a car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No joke! I only have about 450 mi on my 3 so far, and am really trying to be easy on her and I want to see what kind of mpg I can get. So, I constantly watch that stupid screen...and I feel totally emasculated.

After this tank (the first one I have put in after purchase) I am going to turn the thing to the radio mode and just enjoy driving too. Too bad you cannot just turn the whole thing off if you want...or have a screen saver/desktop background kind of thing....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
No joke! I only have about 450 mi on my 3 so far, and am really trying to be easy on her and I want to see what kind of mpg I can get. So, I constantly watch that stupid screen...and I feel totally emasculated.

After this tank (the first one I have put in after purchase) I am going to turn the thing to the radio mode and just enjoy driving too. Too bad you cannot just turn the whole thing off if you want...or have a screen saver/desktop background kind of thing....
Get to 3000 miles. Mine took until 12k to get it braked in

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
MPG? whats that?

·
Registered
54 Posts
M=Mazda / P=Put / G=Gas pedal > to the floor ;)

Reactions: sin_loki

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
How many miles are on your car? I can't even get 36mpg in my '13 when spending 95% driving conservatively.
So I'm not the only one... I'm getting 29.1... Ha

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was hyper miling my skyactiv the first year i bought it, 26,000 miles at a average of 36mpg over the course.

Then one day i had the same revelation as you, my car was just an A - B machine that hardly ever got played with because i was babying it everywhere. After i decided not to care about MPG i was flooring it from pretty much every light just to get my jollys. Once i noticed my average MPG had dropped to about 24 i slowly persuaded myself to buy a speed3 (which is averaging 26mpg after 3500 miles of scary driving)

Haven't looked back, best decision ever. The way i see it, if you're going to hyper mile it, eek out every drop of gas every where you go, and have a family, the skyactiv is a GREAT car. if you don't care too much about the cost of fuel on your pocket book and you like destroying more expensive cars, at least go test drive a speed3.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one !

I have about 3,000 miles on the car. Had oil changed out at 1300 miles because the car sat in the dealer lot for over 8 months.

Last night, I hit the limiter in 2nd gear when trying to pass a slow moving car from standing start :winkiss: I thought I broke the engine before I realized it was the limiter.

When cruising on the highway, I do watch the screen to see if my foot is unnecessarily pressing down on the accelerator. I try to keep the "current mpg" number above 40 mpg whenever possible. I tend to let off the gas completely if I see the number go down and re calibrate my foot pressure. When I get tired of looking at the numbers, I shift into 4th or 3rd and go near WOT :smiley:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I should've also mentioned in my first reply that I've got ~600 miles on the car (bought it with only 10 on the odo with about 5 of them being my test drive) and I have a manual transmission. I'm coming from a '12 Golf R that I got 23mpg in regularly with conservative driving. So I guess my feeling is that, with similar driving habits, I was hoping to be averaging about 33mpg.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Having fun I get 36-38 mpg on my commute. Just doing the speed limit and 3k shifting I got 42mpg on my last two tanks. I wish I didn't have so many mountains to cross. I think I could do better without them.
My commute is 105 miles round trip. Mostly highway and 10 miles of city 5ish miles of curvy 2 lane road(each way)

I do tend to grab second and third alot though. Just not every time I pull out. And I also take it out of gear on a few down hill parts. One section I can go 1.9 miles before I slow to my set speed and pop it into gear and hit resume.
But my commute has no real places to have fun, minus a few spots to whip around some turns. Now when I run around town I tend to have some.
Also take the motorcycle and play on the mountains roads when I get bored.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one !

I have about 3,000 miles on the car. Had oil changed out at 1300 miles because the car sat in the dealer lot for over 8 months.

Last night, I hit the limiter in 2nd gear when trying to pass a slow moving car from standing start :winkiss: I thought I broke the engine before I realized it was the limiter.

When cruising on the highway, I do watch the screen to see if my foot is unnecessarily pressing down on the accelerator. I try to keep the "current mpg" number above 40 mpg whenever possible. I tend to let off the gas completely if I see the number go down and re calibrate my foot pressure. When I get tired of looking at the numbers, I shift into 4th or 3rd and go near WOT :smiley:
i do that same thing! once i get on the highway, and get to my cruising speed, i let off the throttle, watch my ultraguage read 999.9( because off throttle) then get back on lightly to maintain my speed. I feel like im in the middle of both sides. I drive the same boring way up the 401 everyday. I usually just cruise for most of the week, but then once i get the itch to go faster, ive already gotten great mileage so i dont feel bad for ruining it. When i spent the weekends cruising around town doing errands, io notice the mileage sucks. Maybe my car has gotten used to the 100kph crusise everyday

1 - 20 of 34 Posts