2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my new Mazda, and I'm wondering if there is an easy, non-damaging way to remove the silly stickers that dealerships put on the rear bumper for free advertisment?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
If they haven't been on the car very long, spray the area with a little goo gone and they'll peel right off. Just be careful. Wipe off with a towel/microfiber cloth and you're done. Took me 2-3 minutes.

·
Senior Adventure Gamer
236 Posts
Weird. I don't think I've ever seen brand new cars with stickers on them. That's kinda obnoxious.

Though I have plenty of experience with sticker removal when it comes to expensive laptops with nice finishes. Heat a bit with a hair dryer, peel slowly, and use goo gone (or lighter fluid: it actually works better) to get rid of the inevitable residue. You'll never know it was there.

I've only seen dealerships throw on license plate frames that show where you bought it, but those are of course easy to get off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is usually the first thing I do after buying a new car is remove the dealership sticker. No need to help them advertise for free. I just carefully get a coner started with a finernail and then gently peel them off. Usually I don't have much if any residue. If I do, I just use a "qwick detailer" and a microfiber cloth and it comes off with not much effort.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Use a blow dryer and dental floss
Well, if it's a plastic badge. Dental floss doesn't do much for vinyl stickers. Totally agree with the hair dryer if it's being difficult though.

Most of the new cars around here (Oklahoma/Texas) come with stickers on them. It's pretty pathetic. Most people don't care and just leave them on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, the dealer stickers seem to be more of a Midwest/East Coast thing. You don't see them as often out here on the Left Coast.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, we don't see them out here.

A great residue remover is good old WD40. It melts the residue and you can wipe it off.

Reactions: glennk

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll second the thanks to all the replies in this thread as I've got a dealer sticker I need to try and get off this weekend before it gets "permanently" baked on here with the temps expected to be 115!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can't you demand that your car come without one?
Yup, and if the car already has it on tell the dealer you want it removed prior to purchase.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I removed a dealer decal this last weekend from my wifes car, its been on for over a year. Heated it up with a hair dryer and it peeled right off. There is residue still however, I need to get that off still. I'm not too worried anymore about if the dealer has one on or not once I get my new M3.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I removed a dealer decal this last weekend from my wifes car, its been on for over a year. Heated it up with a hair dryer and it peeled right off. There is residue still however, I need to get that off still. I'm not too worried anymore about if the dealer has one on or not once I get my new M3.
You can use 3M Goo Gone or mayo (just leave it on for a few minutes).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help with this topic. The hair dryer worked perfectly!!!

I had worked for an hour before I posted this topic trying to chip away at that damn sticker. Then I took the wife's hair dryer and it was off in less than a minute!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help with this topic. The hair dryer worked perfectly!!!

...Then I took the wife's hair dryer and it was off in less than a minute!
So yesterday I removed my sticker as well. Funny thing I had just driven it around and pulled into the garage and decided to give it a go without the hair dryer. Had no problem. Maybe because it was like 114 degrees here in PHX yesterday and I had been driving around in the sun! Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You know that when you are negotiating for your car, you can tell the salesguy/whoever you see that you want that dealer sticker decal removed. I bought my 2010 mazda3 this past Sunday, and detailing took it off for no fee. Why should i have to drive around with their logo... no free advertising anymore!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts