2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local dealership here is Riverside, CA and asked how much to install AA/CP. I was told $420 on my 2018 GT. Wow really....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went to my local dealership here is Riverside, CA and asked how much to install AA/CP. I was told $420 on my 2018 GT. Wow really....
I paid ~$USD230 FOR the kit and installed myself.

420 less 230 ~$190 for the labour

Install =
update to 70.xx 45 minutes,
re&re USB hub,
run and connect cables 30 to 50 minutes
dealer may take time for all precautions remove battery etc. While unlikely precautions are necessary, if something does go wrong, cost for this price-less.

May seem steep, have you watched the how to video?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I paid about $180 for the kit three weeks ago and follow the instructions to update the firmware and install the AA/CP kit with no issues.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are they allowing for older years in US yet? I have a 2015 and wanted to inquire at my dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those prices are outrageous, cost is more labor than the part itself, better off installing yourself, I did it couple weeks ago, mine was in the front which you have to remove more just to get to the old hub, all in all it took me about 3 hours taking my sweet time, being careful not to break anything, there are plenty of resources online to walk you through it, I see that mazdanyparts.com is still showing them for $149 plus change, part# 0000-8F-Z34, no tax if your out of NY state.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also what made pretty easy was the right tools,Trim Removal Tool 11 pcs - Premium Auto Trim Upholstery Removal Kit from amazon which comes in handy for any other mods I might do down the road.

·
Registered
213 Posts
By the time you add up the different steps, 2 hours is not an unreasonable amount of time to charge. Labor rates are $135 an hour in some locals.

$200 for parts and possibly $250 for labor is not out of line. Putting the foam on the cables is tedious. The service guys have to be more careful pulling things apart as customers are looking for mistakes.

And you want a warranty with that too, right? If people think the price is high, then find an independent repair shop or DIY. Try pricing out brake jobs... that is even more nuts, IMO.

I did mine myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
By the time you add up the different steps, 2 hours is not an unreasonable amount of time to charge. Labor rates are $135 an hour in some locals.

$200 for parts and possibly $250 for labor is not out of line. Putting the foam on the cables is tedious. The service guys have to be more careful pulling things apart as customers are looking for mistakes.

And you want a warranty with that too, right? If people think the price is high, then find an independent repair shop or DIY. Try pricing out brake jobs... that is even more nuts, IMO.

I did mine myself.
I am thinking to spwnd on the labor. I can do it myself but looks like i will be getting my mazda connect replaced under warranty this week. Cobsidering the hassle it was to finally get it replaced I don't want to give them an excuse to not cover it if it is faulty.

So either I'll pay the 2 hours labor or wait a year and then DIY

·
Pretty Cool Dude
326 Posts
I've read some news that Mazda is going to offer this as a free upgrade to other 2018 models but they are starting with Mazda 6 and they will work their way down and eventually hit the 2018 Mazda 3's by end of the year. Not sure how accurate this information is though

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today I learned Mazda 3 sold after Oct. 2 can get a recall upgrade for AA. I also learned from the dealership if your car isn't on the recall vin list, then one needs to wait for a letter from Mazda probably saying how much To install..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I heard $400+ is the going rate for a few dealers in the SoCal area...

Had one Mazda dealer in the Seattle area tell me there is a "lock down" and they are only using those parts for inventory/sold vehicles only... Then there's another dealer that looked at me like I was stupid and told me, it's impossible to install AA/CP on Mazdas. The final one told me they don't sell those part numbers direct to customers... Granted this was all about a month ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL .. Mazda's primary focus on the Skyactiv line-up (IMO) was the design and driving experience .. not the infotainment system. I wouldn't love this car if it weren't for that ...

Start rant ..

However, Mazda has a lot of ground to cover to make up for the lack of even semi-powerful enough USB ports (charging is terrible and inability to use USB 3.0 32GB and up) because shelling out 500+ CDN for a couple of slightly more powerful USB ports and a free software upgrade is f***ing outrageous! especially when EVERY other manufacturer is offering AA/CP (not to mention some wireless charging abilities in some) no matter what level of vehicle for FREE ..

Rant over ...

I haven't been able to get a solid answer from my dealer but if Mazda DOES issue a recall .. i'll happily wait, in the meantime i am going to continue pressing my dealer for more info

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think anything under $500 is fair for a dealer installed. Everything they do is going to be by the books and they have to be responsible for any type of damaged done. However, I do feel it is easy enough to do it yourself if the price is an issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts