2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to checking my tire pressures since I've come to terms with keeping the stock 18" Dunlops on my Mazda3 S Touring.

I didn't have a dedicated monitor available so I decided to use my bicycle tire pump, seeing as I would be adjusting 1-3 psi at most. This thing has been pretty accurate since I've had it, but when I used it on the car it said the tires were at 42-43 psi! It was consistent across all 4 tires. The door jamb sticker states to inflate to 36 psi, so this is pretty grossly over inflated.

My question is - could it have come from the dealer like this, or is it more likely to be an inaccurate gauge? Could the excess 6 psi be causing me a harsher, louder ride, or on the flipside, increased fuel economy?

I'm worried it could be dangerous as this means the tires are 17% overinflated.

Thanks for any input :)

-R

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received my car from the dealer with 1 tire in the 40's and 1 tire approaching 50. There was no rhyme, reason, or consistency to them. The TPMS system actually alerted me to it.

There was actually a slightly noticeable improvemet in ride after this was resolved, at least in my head haha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine were really high as well like over 44 psi (cold check). The ride was different to say the least, I kept telling my wife (it's her car) that I like the way my Mazda 3 drives better than the new one. :cheesy:

·
Registered
156 Posts
My tires (16 inch) had been inflated to 40 psi, it was also the max install pressure molded into the tire. Let out a few psi and the ride was a little better. Even at 40 psi those 16s have a lot of side wall.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Did your dealer not do a stage 3 "i believe thats what they called it" before you left with the car. Before I left with my car they took me to the garage bay area and went over the entire car with me checked tire pressure, oil, coolant, every other fluid and taught me how to use the electronics in the car. I believe this is required by mazda for the dealers to do this.

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Did your dealer not do a stage 3 "i believe thats what they called it" before you left with the car. Before I left with my car they took me to the garage bay area and went over the entire car with me checked tire pressure, oil, coolant, every other fluid and taught me how to use the electronics in the car. I believe this is required by mazda for the dealers to do this.
Apparently mine did not. They did not walk us thorough any of that. Our car was brought in from another dealer about 200 miles away from our home dealer. Maybe they assumed the first dealer already checked the car out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got a pretty thorough walk-around of my car including a thorough explanation/demonstration of all the tech.

You have me wanting to check my tires when I'm done work tonight though...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They did a very condensed version: Hood, gas cap, dip stick, warning lights, "don't press sport for the first 1K miles."

To be fair my purchase took a long time and the dealer was operating past closing time... just for me :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going to say my pump is accurate and the dealer left them overinflated. I'll order a tire pressure gauge today just to be certain, but for now it's time to let a bit of air out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
They did a very condensed version: Hood, gas cap, dip stick, warning lights, "don't press sport for the first 1K miles."

To be fair my purchase took a long time and the dealer was operating past closing time... just for me :001_rolleyes:
Yeah I know what you mean I showed up at the dealer at 6PM and didnt leave untill 10pm lol. I made him earn that sale. At my dealer they kinda acted like that stage 3 they called it was a big deal to mazda corporate and I even signed a paper saying that they did go over the car with me and I was satisfied with how everything was explained and inspected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The "over inflation" is not dangerous as long as the tire's cold air pressure is at or below the Max PSI level stamped on the side of the tire.

Make sure to reset your TPMS after adjusting the tire pressure.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going to say my pump is accurate and the dealer left them overinflated. I'll order a tire pressure gauge today just to be certain, but for now it's time to let a bit of air out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car was delivered with 45+ PSI in the tires. I figure it came from the factory that way and the dealership didn't check/adjust them. I discovered it a few days later before leaving on a trip.

Since then I had snow tires put on, and then the stock tires put on in the spring, and in both cases the dealership left me with underinflated tires. 30-32 psi in the snows and under 30! when the stocks were put back on. I make sure to check them after I bring the car home.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Same story as many of you, dumbly expected my tires would be right on when I got the car, when I checked a couple weeks later they were all in the low 40s, all different and one as high as 46 psi. Makes me wonder what else they didn't exactly check before delivering the car. The dealer didn't walk me around the mechanical parts of the car at all, essentially they were only going to show me how to operate BT and Navi, but I had already learned those on my test drives so I declined that waste of time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The "over inflation" is not dangerous as long as the tire's cold air pressure is at or below the Max PSI level stamped on the side of the tire.
There's more to tires than the rating on the sidewall. That's the max the tire itself can handle, but "safety" is about how it performs as part of the entire car. Tires inflated beyond the level recommended in by the car manufacturer on the door sticker will not have ideal traction, and the car may not handle as well, especially in adverse conditions. That can be considered dangerous. (Improper tire pressure led to those Explorer rollovers 10+ yrs ago.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I picked out my car before it went through PDI, but they did manage to put all the tires at 36psi. I upped them to 40, I like them that way for response.

My car was down half a quart of oil though, I remedied that quickly!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's more to tires than the rating on the sidewall. That's the max the tire itself can handle, but "safety" is about how it performs as part of the entire car. Tires inflated beyond the level recommended in by the car manufacturer on the door sticker will not have ideal traction, and the car may not handle as well, especially in adverse conditions. That can be considered dangerous. (Improper tire pressure led to those Explorer rollovers 10+ yrs ago.)
Not to mention improper/accelerated tire wear.

I hope I don't take a dip in Fuel economy by lowering it haha I've been a bit aggressive driving city stop-and-go on the "highway" miles and tend to average 28 - 32 per trip mpg. Give me a long drive upstate and it's pushing 42 mpg. I'd be saddened to never see the AVG mpg over 40 once they are properly inflated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes. Underinflated tires can also be just as dangerous. I was specifically replying to the OPs concern for the over inflation from the manufacturer's recommendation. The recommendation for tire pressure is not just due to safety so deviating from that number doesn't mean you are in danger.

Your tires aren't going to explode if they are over the recommended pressure (and below the max rating on the sidewall) which I think was the real concern.

Tires and oil............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts