2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 3, the body shop department installed my side skirts. What I want to know is whether or not I will experience future rust out problems as they had to drill holes on each side to install these. I did ask them to apply paint on each drill hole but there is no way of telling. I can only see one drill hole (the very first one closest to the front wheel as I open the door and there doesn't appear to be any paint on the hole). If these holes start to rust I am afraid the clips will stop holding the skirts and they will start popping out. How long do I have before that starts happening and is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening? Thanks for all the input.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Take the skirts off and paint the holes. Personally I'd use some undercoat in them. It's ugly stuff but you won't see it when you pit the side skirts back on.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I want side skirts...I'm annoyed my grand touring didn't come with them...just can't justify the cost as I'd rather spend them on other mods before skirts.
/end whine

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree that its bullshit that they didnt apply anything to the holes and taking them off myself seems like it would take quite some time. Do you guys think I can take it back and ask them to do this free of charge even though its been over a year? The body shop that put them on was actually located within the Cadillac dealership (mazda and cadillac share the body shop) so the customer service level there is pretty good.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Do you have an instructions sheet on installing these? perhaps that could help me in taking them off and putting them on myself if I decide to do that.

You will probably break some of the clips taking them off, make sure your dealer has them in stock before you remove the skirts. You start at one end and carefully ease the clips out of the holes one by one, there is also a small strip of double side tape at each end.

Pat.

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Do you have an instructions sheet on installing these? perhaps that could help me in taking them off and putting them on myself if I decide to do that.
Here's the write up we did on Razerer's side skirts:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15101

You'll probably break a few clips, since they're designed to go one way. You can see the clips in one if the pictures. Buy a bunch from the dealer if you plan on taking it off. The rear section was held in place by clips and some heavy duty two sided tape.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
There is a method to taking them off on the instructions without breaking the clips because they won't come off once they go in.. Use heat gun n heat up the back side of the side skirt make the double sided tape soft then pull away so double sided tape comes off.. Then is the hard part.. Pull down on the bottom unclipping the underside then force the skirt to the front of the car and up and it will come off the car with the clips still attached to the side then u can remove the clips without breaking them.. I will see if I can find and post the instructions tonight or when u get home...

edit: ok i found the information here are the instructions to take them off and put em back on

·
Registered
172 Posts
I completely agree that its bullshit that they didnt apply anything to the holes and taking them off myself seems like it would take quite some time. Do you guys think I can take it back and ask them to do this free of charge even though its been over a year? The body shop that put them on was actually located within the Cadillac dealership (mazda and cadillac share the body shop) so the customer service level there is pretty good.
Will be interesting to see what they say. I know when they installed my rear wing spoiler they left metal shavings in the wing/trunk that was kind of annoying. Definitely let us know if you go back there and they do anything for you, I know when I've gone there twice the lady has helped me out. Not sure they will do anything this extensive, but she was helping me try to buff out a light scratch and seemed like she would do touch up paint for free if it wasn't too bad. Might have to pay for a little paint but still nice to have someone do it who does it all the time lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for all the help and support. I will call the dealership today and see if they will do it without a fight and if they try to give me hard time and try to get out of it, then I will tackle it myself based on the posted instructions. I will post an update today based on the dealer call.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick Update: the car is at the dealer body shop this morning. They agreed to repair the rust and paint the holes free of charge since it was their fault. Hoping to get her back all repaired without any BS dealer mess ups like scratches, etc. Will let you all know how it turned out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts