2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I went on vacation for a week, came back and my battery was dead, completely dead. I had my neighbor come give me a jump, after I got it started, all the lights in the dash were blinking, power steering was out and then it just died out on me. I did get a new battery and everything was fine (Luckily, O'Reilly's replaced it free of charge!).

Long story short, the only thing I can think of that may have caused this, is one of those ODB II adapters. I have a Y connector and the adapter connected to it full time, tucked behind under the steering wheel. I checked my overhead lights and they were in the off position, I checked the hatch area and it was off.

Does this draw off the battery at all times, even with the car off?

thanks,
jegonzo3

·
Working Class Hero
3,707 Posts
Honestly, batteries these days won't give you any warning before they shit the bed, and modern cars are so current dependent that once the battery drops below a certain threshold, nothing will work. I've gotten into a habit of just replacing my batteries every three years before they leave me stranded. Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, batteries these days won't give you any warning before they shit the bed, and modern cars are so current dependent that once the battery drops below a certain threshold, nothing will work. I've gotten into a habit of just replacing my batteries every three years before they leave me stranded. Your mileage may vary...
Yeah, but if the ODB II adapter is draining it faster, then I'll remove it for now. I just use the little cubby hole down at the ODB II port to hold my work badge. In reality, I really hardly ever use my ODB II adapter to check things on the car, but it's convenient to have it plugged in and ready if I ever need it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was your battery very new before you replaced it? I have come back from vacation to a dead battery as well. Sometimes they hold on with daily use, even when they're dying, and a week off is the final deathblow. I think it's pretty normal actually.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was your battery very new before you replaced it? I have come back from vacation to a dead battery as well. Sometimes they hold on with daily use, even when they're dying, and a week off is the final deathblow. I think it's pretty normal actually.
It was about 1 1/2 years old. Yeah, daily use or even a couple of days not driving, it's ok, but I wouldn't expect it to be completely dead. Next time I'll have to keep a trickle charge on it.

I've just heard somewhere before, that the ODB II adapter is "on" when plugged in, so that would slowly drain the battery.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, but if the ODB II adapter is draining it faster, then I'll remove it for now. I just use the little cubby hole down at the ODB II port to hold my work badge. In reality, I really hardly ever use my ODB II adapter to check things on the car, but it's convenient to have it plugged in and ready if I ever need it.
In my case, my OBD2 has leds on it and they stay on even after turning off the car. So I guess it continues draining the battery. I always remove it after use.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case, my OBD2 has leds on it and they stay on even after turning off the car. So I guess it continues draining the battery. I always remove it after use.
Yeah, I just have to remove it and plug it in only when I need to.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The OBDII adapter definitely uses electricity when off. Some of the better adapters go into a 'sleep' mode where they use little power.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The OBDII adapter definitely uses electricity when off. Some of the better adapters go into a 'sleep' mode where they use little power.
Can you point me in the direction of one?

Mine is pretty old, because it is quite larger than some that I see nowadays.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little pricey, but it looks good. Goes to sleep when not in use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts