2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally hate the way the DRLs look, because i feel it's a complete waste to have lights ON during the day. I laugh at idiots on the road that purposely turn ON their HIDs during the day, to show off. :thumbdown 1: It's a complete waste of energy and bulb life, esp if the HIDs are ON.

I disabled the DRLs in my 07 Civic Si and today decided to do the same in the Mazda 3.

The owners manual had this to say about the matter...

"supposedly" the DRL setting can only be changed by the dealer...

but just like my Civic, I pulled the DRL fuse (which is what I'm sure the dealer does) and off they went. Hi beams still function properly, headlights and fogs still function properly, but the DRLs are no longer on. :dance013:

Here's the location of the DRL fuse, in the fuse box that's under the hood.

I hope this helps those who also don't like the way the DRLs look and want to disable them.
I don't want my lights on during the day, making it easier for cops to spot me, as i'm hauling ass down the street. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Is this for the halogen DRL?

I could have saw an option to disable the DRL in the infotainment menu. I only saw it popped up once but never saw it again. On my previous car I had to cut some cables to disable to DRL, good to know it's only a fuse for this car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
For safety reasons I always had my lights on, even on sunny summerdays! I can't stand people who don't turn lights, at least DRL, on in the twilight... As they are LED they take a minimum amount of gas, no reason to turn it off...

It's my first car with DRL, and I love it!
Looks really cool, gives some extra security not to be overseen and lastly they are mandatory in Switzerland by Jan 1, 2014. They are mandatory in most countries in Europe, in some of them you must turn on lights, a DRL is not enough by law...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Good info. I get not wanting to run the DRLs in FL, up here in WA state though it's nice to have them on for the fog, rain, clouds, and generally all day long darkness....
Safety First!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I always have my lights on (unless the care has DRL of course), so much easier to see cars even in the day when their lights are on, they just stand out that little bit more. Glad all cars pretty much come with DRL as standard now. The little bit of electricity they use is worth it for the safety they provide.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I feel the yellowish color of halogen DRL stands out more and easier to see compared to the white LEDs. However, I think the LED DRL looks better tho, and consumes lesser energy and not get as warm. I've seen some older camry's with DRL their high beam area is fogged up and hazy, probably due to the heat.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good info. I get not wanting to run the DRLs in FL, up here in WA state though it's nice to have them on for the fog, rain, clouds, and generally all day long darkness....
Safety First!
I'm in Vancouver and share the general pacific NW climate that is generally hazy/foggy/rainy/grey so I find DRL to be just a smart, safe option. Even if it weren't required in Canada, I'd still run them. I want people to be aware of me as much as possible, especially when there are some pretty bad drivers around here.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel the yellowish color of halogen DRL stands out more and easier to see compared to the white LEDs. However, I think the LED DRL looks better tho, and consumes lesser energy and not get as warm. I've seen some older camry's with DRL their high beam area is fogged up and hazy, probably due to the heat.
See I hate the yellow look of the halogen DRLs, so that's why they are now disabled. I thought about replacing the bulbs with some blueish / super white bulbs but at the end of the day I still don't like the DRLs and it would be a $30-40 expense that I don't need to make and I'd rather put that money towards something else in the car, like a Lip or spoiler.

Those of you with LEDs are a different story. I wish mine had em but freakin Mazda didn't have a Grand Touring with manual tranny at the time of my purchase, so I had to cut my loses and get whatever was available.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why not just go back to the dealer and have them disable it. They do not pull the fuse. They disable it with their computer.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just go back to the dealer and have them disable it. They do not pull the fuse. They disable it with their computer.
And you know this how exactly?

I'm willing to bet that they simply pull the fuse. No one is going to reprogram anything to disable the DRLs. That's what the fuse is for.

You go to the dealer, look like a dumb ass and ask them to turn off the lights. Hahahaha.

Why would I go spent an hour waiting at the dealership when I can pull a fuse to get the job done and no effect anything else by doing so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know this because I was there when they programmed all the settings I wanted. The tech went through all the settings and I picked what I wanted to do. It was free too. So who's the dumb ass now?

And you know this how exactly?

I'm willing to bet that they simply pull the fuse. No one is going to reprogram anything to disable the DRLs. That's what the fuse is for.

You go to the dealer, look like a dumb ass and ask them to turn off the lights. Hahahaha.

Why would I go spent an hour waiting at the dealership when I can pull a fuse to get the job done and no effect anything else by doing so.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Settings for what? I sat there and adjusted everything that I wanted right inside the car on the touch screen. There's nothing to "program". Lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Settings for what? I sat there and adjusted everything that I wanted right inside the car on the touch screen. There's nothing to "program". Lol.
There are a few hidden options like the DRLs, but for non-COMMAND users, having the dealer set options is common.

In any case, it's your car, under a year old, under warranty and the dealer should be ready and willing to help set up the infotainment and other preferences and not be a pain about it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps but like I said, I'm not willing to go down there and waste a bunch of time over a couple of light bulbs, so I did what seemed natural to me. Like I said, I did the exact same procedure with my 07 Civic ( as did others on the Civic forum ) in order to get rid of the yellow looking DRLs. The fuse is there for this exact reason.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I pulled my fuse today. Are you sure there's nothing else on the circuit? I looked at the shop manual and didn't see anything else on the circuit, just wanted to double check

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pulled my fuse today. Are you sure there's nothing else on the circuit? I looked at the shop manual and didn't see anything else on the circuit, just wanted to double check
:banana 1: There's nothing else in the circuit. I've bee driving around for a week now. It wouldn't have said DRL on the fuse if it also controlled something else.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What's interesting is my fuses were turned exactly the same was as yours in the picture. I figured they were just installed randomly, but it was a perfect match. Go figure.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I personally hate the way the DRLs look, because i feel it's a complete waste to have lights ON during the day. I laugh at idiots on the road that purposely turn ON their HIDs during the day, to show off. :thumbdown 1: It's a complete waste of energy and bulb life, esp if the HIDs are ON.

I disabled the DRLs in my 07 Civic Si and today decided to do the same in the Mazda 3.

The owners manual had this to say about the matter...

"supposedly" the DRL setting can only be changed by the dealer...

but just like my Civic, I pulled the DRL fuse (which is what I'm sure the dealer does) and off they went. Hi beams still function properly, headlights and fogs still function properly, but the DRLs are no longer on. :dance013:

Here's the location of the DRL fuse, in the fuse box that's under the hood.

I hope this helps those who also don't like the way the DRLs look and want to disable them.
I don't want my lights on during the day, making it easier for cops to spot me, as i'm hauling ass down the street. :sneaky:
I have the sGT with the bixenon and led drl. The fuse referenced above isn't the one for the drl. Anybody know where the led drl fuse is for the sGT?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts