2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend and I installed my DDM Tuning HIDs last week and just wanted to share some info and pics for those that are thinking about it. The bulb is H11. I went with the 5000k 35w. I thought about getting the 6k 55w, but didn't want the lights to be super bright. They were $50 shipped and took two weeks for me to get. They came directly from China.

DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W)

I followed these instructions:
How To Install DDM HID Slim Kit In A 2010 MS3

Install was easy to do. The only difficulty was swapping the polarity. The pins just fought me and refused to come out of the connectors. I like the crisp white color and the beam is pretty wide. It lights up the sides of the road and everything in between really well. I think I need to adjust the aim and they'll be perfect.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I installed mine last sunday too... I do not get what the deal is with the reverse polarity because the connwctor, atleast the ones i received can be connected either way... It didnt work the first time so I had to connect it the other way around... Im thinkin maybe there are different connectors available? I have the exact one that u gor DDM slims 35W with 5000k bulbs...

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what's the "Error Eliminator" and "Dual in - Dual out" Harnesses about?
Not sure about the "Error Eliminator".

As for the harness, from the DDM HID page:

"Use the relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably.

Recommended for all 55W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/55W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad's and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 40A at 12vdc."

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Looks great, I don't know why all Speeds don't come with factory HIDs. The error eliminator is for some cars that throw a CEL after installing HIDs I think.

The harness protects the car during startup of the HIDs. It is recommended for the 55w kits. You can add it for peace of mind if you want.

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great, I don't know why all Speeds don't come with factory HIDs. The error eliminator is for some cars that throw a CEL after installing HIDs I think.

The harness protects the car during startup of the HIDs. It is recommended for the 55w kits. You can add it for peace of mind if you want.
Thanks. I wish the 2010s did. The 2011's have em with the tech package.

·
1,577 Posts
What is the longevity of these lights? What is the lenght of time to get the mod done? I know as much about electrical stuff as I do about women's shoes :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks great! I had the DDM 35w 8000ks on my old car. I went with the kensun kit for my speed because DDM took a month to ship the last time. The polarity thing is a minor issue with the kensun kit to, but an easy fix, just flip the wires.

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the longevity of these lights? What is the lenght of time to get the mod done? I know as much about electrical stuff as I do about women's shoes :(
I've been running mine for about two years and had no issues. They are easy to install and only take about an hour if your only doing the lows. It's about two hours if you do the fogs too, since you have to remove the bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I've had mine for almost 2 years with no replacements for the bulbs or ballasts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had the raptor hid 35w 6k on my car for about 4 years now. Lately I've noticed when I turn them on they will flicker. And for the first time last night my left light didn't come on at all. But all I had to do was turn it off and on. Just wondering if that means it's about to go out. I was thinking of buying a new slim kit since just in case they go out. But if it has happened to anyone and there's a quick fix there's no need to spend the money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had the raptor hid 35w 6k on my car for about 4 years now. Lately I've noticed when I turn them on they will flicker. And for the first time last night my left light didn't come on at all. But all I had to do was turn it off and on. Just wondering if that means it's about to go out. I was thinking of buying a new slim kit since just in case they go out. But if it has happened to anyone and there's a quick fix there's no need to spend the money.
That usually happens if there is not enough voltage to fire up the light on startup. Maybe your battery is running low. That is why for peace of mind you could install the "Dual in - Dual out" Harnesses, which is basically like a battery that will help jump start your bulbs if your car has a hard time doing it on its own. Some of the symptoms of needing it are exactly how you described, flickering of bulbs or lights not coming on (having to turn off and on the lights to get it to work).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do the speed 3's not come with factory HID's in the U.S.A. ? They are standard equipment on the ones here in Canada. You would think that it should come with HID's from the factory for all the coin we shell out for our rides.
I just wish mine were 55W . I bought the most expensive bulbs a few months back (Philips 85122XV D2S C1 Extreme Vision) they are very bright at just 35W
Nice job mazdaspeedmyk

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do the speed 3's not come with factory HID's in the U.S.A. ? They are standard equipment on the ones here in Canada. You would think that it should come with HID's from the factory for all the coin we shell out for our rides.

I just wish mine were 55W . I bought the most expensive bulbs a few months back (Philips 85122XV D2S C1 Extreme Vision) they are very bright at just 35W

Nice job mazdaspeedmyk

Thanks! I still haven't had any issues with the DDM HIDs I installed.

HIDs became an option in the 2011s with tech package, as did LED tails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts