2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 Mazda 3 GT and just noticed the only 12v outlet is in the center console. Unless I'm missing something, did they not put one in the usual place (just below the CD player/nav unit) like they did in the 2nd gen. If not, what have you guys done for plugging something (like a radar detector) in? I have a RD but obviously plugging it inside the center console is a pain.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've got two outlets from the factory in my 2015 sedan: one in the dash, one in the center box.

The one in the dash is key-activated; the one in the center is always on.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yeah, the lower trims have 2, go figure. I have a '14 sGT and have only one, always on.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I figured it was trim-related. The higher trims probably have a device installed in place of the dash outlet I have on mine, and there isn't space to put the dash outlet anywhere else. Otherwise it doesn't make sense that the higher-cost trim has half the outlets of my economy level.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have a CD player which I never use, under the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That must be the reason for not having the second power port in many models. I don't have a CD player there. Instead, in that location I have, side-by-side, a second 12V power port and a port for connecting computers and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts