2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My dashcam will not turn off whenever I turn off the car. It'll stay on all day and night if I don't unplug it. It seems that the cigarette lighter plug is still getting current when the vehicle is off. Any way to turn that off?

Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's the way it is. The only way is either putting a switch between them or wire ur dash to power that will shutdown when car is off

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
are you using the cigarette outlet from the center console (aka the glove box)? or the regular one near your front?

as far as I know the one in the glove box does not turn off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone,

My dashcam will not turn off whenever I turn off the car. It'll stay on all day and night if I don't unplug it. It seems that the cigarette lighter plug is still getting current when the vehicle is off. Any way to turn that off?

Thank you!
Wire it into an ignition fuse using a piggy back. Easy to do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hard wire it! Just connect it to an add a fuse into the fuse box and make sure its connected to an ignition fuse.

I have mine hard wired but on a switch so i can have it on constant power or ignition.

·
Pretty Cool Dude
326 Posts
Attaching to fusebox is best thing to do. There are a couple fuses that supply enough power and will only turn on while the car is on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Buy an installation kit (pick the appropriate USB plug and Fuse size): https://www.thedashcamstore.com/installation-kits/
Run the wire down the headliner to the A pillar, and connect to the fuse box in the driver foot well. Find a fuse that only turns on during car on and turns off when car is off.
I've done this on 2004 Mazda 3, 2014 Mazda CX-5, and 2017 MX-5. Works great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This "hardware kit" is about $10 higher than most, but it is loaded with features not available from the cheaper ones, like the rocker switch. It allows for park mode that will keep the dashcam on but it has time as well as voltage cut-offs when your battery drains down to a level that you set yourself.

Power Magic Pro BlackVue Vehicle Battery Discharge Prevention for Parking Mode for BlackVue DR500GW, DR550GW, DR650GW, DR650S

Yes, use a fuse tap (low profile) to connect to the driver side fuse box. The Bussman brand that I bought locally froma AutoZone fits perfectly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have 2 dashcams, one front one back.
im using the usb connections because they turn off when turning of the car.
i dont use them so it doesnt bothers me.
just buy long usb cables to do that.

obviously the camera must have usb conection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Odd, mine turns off using the central 12V (europe model) however I have noticed on my i-stop screen the battery is no longer lightning up unless on long journeys (everything else is off, no heat or lights on) so maybe theres a trickle charge still going out and this is why my engine is no longer getting a high enough charge for i-stop to work.

Will start unplugging it.

The reason I don't use the USBs is because it then thinks the dash is connected in media mode.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Odd, mine turns off using the central 12V (europe model) however I have noticed on my i-stop screen the battery is no longer lightning up unless on long journeys (everything else is off, no heat or lights on) so maybe theres a trickle charge still going out and this is why my engine is no longer getting a high enough charge for i-stop to work.

Will start unplugging it.

The reason I don't use the USBs is because it then thinks the dash is connected in media mode.
this is because 4 pins of the usb are conected to the car.
you have to cut a little piece of black tape and cover the 2 center pins of the usb cable. this pins transfers data. the outer pins transfer power.
now with the center pins are covered, conect to the usb and it works

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is because 4 pins of the usb are conected to the car.
you have to cut a little piece of black tape and cover the 2 center pins of the usb cable. this pins transfers data. the outer pins transfer power.
now with the center pins are covered, conect to the usb and it works
Top tip, have done this and my i-stop is happily working again now, so must be something about using the 12V constantly that uses too much power for i-stop to have enough charge unless you've been driving for close to an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts