2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I recently bought a 2011 Mazda 3 Sport. One issue the car had when I bought it was that the dash right above the info and radio display is slightly popped up (see attached picture). I can see a clip behind it, but when I try to snap it back into place, it won't stick.

Does anyone know what might possibly be the issue? Anyone else had this problem? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer as I don't want them tearing up my dash and putting it back together because that will almost certainly result in new rattles.

Thanks Alot!
Joel

Attachments

·
3 Pedals of fun!
498 Posts
My dash has that same issue actually. I got my car a few months back and i noticed it popping up in that same place ( not as bad as yours though ). I too dont want to take it to the dealership to fix because i feel like they might make it worse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
your clip probably broke and can be fixed by replacing it. use your warranty and just have the dealership fix it. I highly doubt it will cause rattles, and if it does, have them fix it or lemon the car.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm gonna go with sun damage warping the dash material adding stress on the clips. Got a sun shade in the summer.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'm gonna go with sun damage warping the dash material adding stress on the clips. Got a sun shade in the summer.
I use a sunshade and this still happened to my 2013. Luckily it happened before warranty was up so it got replaced for free but im sure it will happen again in the future. Seems like its just a weak design

·
Registered
6 Posts
had the same thing i went to the dealership and made fuss they ended up replacing the whole dash for free under "customer good will".

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son's 2013 3 started doing this - he's only at 21K but OoW by age (Nov. 2012).
A huge shout out and thanks to Mazda of Escondido, CA - they replaced the dash under warranty while also updating the PCM for the flickering headlight issue as in TSB SB-01-019-13.

I was very surprised and pleased that they took care of this, glad to see them support their product!

·
Titles Mean Nothing
26 Posts
Mine started doing this a few months ago too. I'm at 40 months/50,000 miles, so unless the dealer wants to be VERY generous, I'm out of luck. Has ANYONE taken care of this themselves, or had to pay a dealership for the fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem has been bothering me for a while, mine is worse than OP's, I would say I have 1/2" (about 1cm) gap between the display and the dash. I've disassembled the entire steering wheel / display assembly, my clip on the display is intact. Unfortunately, the clip on the dash is too short and the warpage too severe to hold on to that clip (plus, you wouldn't want the clip to be responsible for holding 5 kilos (10lb) of upward force.
I'm also too cheap to have the dealer install a new dash (quoted $900).
So I will be attempting to fix this over the next few weeks. I will be making a steel sub-frame in the correct shape of the dash and attempting to secure the dash to this frame from underneath - I don't yet know if this will involve makinga new clip loop, or using super short screws or superglue, but the solution will need to be fabricated from scratch. I will update with some photos when done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I am new to this forum.

Just wanted to say this problem is viral.
I bought mine couple years back and just as the warranty expired - this happened to me as well.
I have contacted the dealership, they took a look at this problem, said it gonna cost big $$$, or I could try to leave a request quota for "Goodwill" repair for free, as I did.

After a couple of months I decided to try and fix for myself (using apoxy glue etc) with no luck.
until one day (couple of days prior to my birthday) the dealership called and informed me that they will replace my dashboard at no cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 M3 dash warping

Wow! Quite a few similar issues.Yes my 2013 3 has popped already also, and pretty sevearly. I hope that
i am as lucky as you when I take it in. It looks like a bad design or materials that dont stay very rigid. It seems to be pretty plyable for dash structure.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
glad to know to keep an eye out for this, that would bother me, but after the hid light assemblies getting water in them in the rain (costs $1000 to fix yourself if you do it all and right) I am not surprised by cost for parts for this car anymore, taking a dash out and putting it back is very involved on any car so labor is a crap load. sunshades may help. garages would probably help more (though many don't have one) I have the sunshade from the mazda dealer that cost about $40 it comes with a little bag like fold up lawn chairs to put it in and its a nice thick heavy shade that feels like it will last a nice long time, mainly got it due to the angle of the windshield and how big it is the wally world oreillyzone parts store cheap ones don't stay up very well in this car. the mazda dealer one fits the windshield like a glove and barely needs the visors folded to hold it up. plus you get better shading, more temp protection, and that nice big mazda logo through your windshield when you park. on 90+ degree days my black leather interior is barely hot with the shade up and sunroof tilted open. now I am the 2nd owner of my car(a 2011) and it was bought new and lived in Kansas for about 2 years before the guy moved down here according to its records, but that means most of its life has been in north texas heat, and Kansas is no walk in the park in summer either they get hot too. I notice most posters here don't tell us where they live or climate the car is in most of the time, even at 75 degrees the inside of a car can get over 120 in the sun. use a sunshade every day no matter the temp outside, keeps the uv rays from fading and cracking the interior as bad. good window tint also helps, that's the first thing I did after getting mine I drove it to my window tinting shop and got it tinted. treat the dash and other plastics/vinyl etc interior with good interior protectant every few months at minimum, this helps a lot too, meguiars wipes work well for this and are easy to use. they also make leather seat wipes which are easy to use to keep the leather seats (if you have them) clean between good deep conditionings and cleanings. now the dah popping up like that could have been a bad batch of clips, heat expansion (warpage), abuse (not necessarily by you but maybe previous owner or shop) or just being in harsh conditions too much. most of the cars interior is plastic and plastic can only get so hot before it melts or warps, so you gotta keep it cool and protect it. now 08-13 altimas had a dash melting issue and it would cause funky odors and greasy looking spots where the plastic was melting, be glad its not that. it could even be the guy that was supposed to put that clip on fought with his wife the night before and was having a bad day the day your car came off the line and you got one that came loose. biggest thing to take away here is keep it cool and protected and that goes a long way to prevent things like this, it wont always as defects do happen in mass produced products especially complex ones like cars (look at my headlight problem and the many other who had similar ones) but it can help quite a bit.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Well after reading and posting a long winded reply to this thread, i noticed my dash indeed has the same issue, mmust be a bad design with the shape of the curve and placement of the clips. I was able after some pounding to get mine to go back into place. This is what i did, used my right hand in a fist with some good pressure to hold down the rubbery dash and with my left hand i pushed the plastic screen cover back till they both snapped into each other. It took a few tries to make it stay, and it may pop back out but that appears to work for now. Im not too worried because i have had the car 2 months and idk how long its eben been that way. It has not caused issues so... the clip behind the screen cover is obviously a little weak and not fully up to holding the 2 peices together, maybe super glue or double sided tape would add some strength

·
Registered
1 Posts
kms1990 good spy. I have the same issue and will be attempting to fix as you did. If you are still around on the forum can you advise if the fix continued to work or whether the separation returned?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just took my 2013 Mazda 3 skyactive in for 105k service at dealer. Service writer told me that Mazda had extended the warranty and will replace it for free. Also gave me free loaner car for the day. Tustin Mazda in Orange County California!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took my 2013 Mazda 3 skyactive in for 105k service at dealer. Service writer told me that Mazda had extended the warranty and will replace it for free. Also gave me free loaner car for the day. Tustin Mazda in Orange County California!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My car is almost at the 100k service, should I go and check with Tustin Mazda and see if they will replace it? Dash keeps lifting and I've tried everything to keep it down. I thought that the warranty extension was for those who had the sticky dashboards.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts