2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2019 Mazda 3 Base model, and I recently purchased an A129 Duo dash cam. I laid the lines and mounted the cameras already. When the hardwire kit came in, I watched some videos on how to do the setup in general...and then looked it up for this car specifically. I read through some posts on this site and others but the bulk of the conversations are from last year. My understanding is that the fuses in the kick panel are constant, and the only ignition based ones are in the engine fuse box...meaning I would need a way to feed the wire through the firewall and into the engine side. First off, I just want to confirm that is the case. Also, I wanted to know what people's solutions were. I saw people mention drilling a hole through the firewall, I was hoping someone could explain that to someone who hasn't done it before. Also, some people mentioned that I can cut into the grommet and feed the wires, they even posted a picture of where they were talking about...but when I compare my car to their zoomed in picture...I have no idea where this grommet is. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD 2.5G
225 Posts
These are instructions for wiring in the OEM auto-dimming homelink mirror accessory. You can use the wiring instructions here for hardwiring your dash cam. The instructions show you which cables to tap into from the wiring loom in the A pillar. There is a positive cable that's always on, a 12v cable that is only on with the ignition, and a ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Follow the instructions in the attachment above and you'll be fine. There are also guides written up already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are instructions for wiring in the OEM auto-dimming homelink mirror accessory. You can use the wiring instructions here for hardwiring your dash cam. The instructions show you which cables to tap into from the wiring loom in the A pillar. There is a positive cable that's always on, a 12v cable that is only on with the ignition, and a ground.
Excellent! Thank you! So I will need to purchase IDC wire taps right? Will I need to cut the wires of the mirror to put it into the wire tap?

·
Registered
225 Posts
So if you don't have a homelink or auto dimming mirror there won't be any wires to the mirror. You'll need to use IDCs and your own wires to go from the A pillar to the mirror. This is how the IDCs work.

If you have the upgraded mirror the plug for it is under the mirror shroud and easy to access. I'm currently waiting for this adapter to be in stock for my hard wire solution.

·
Registered
799 Posts
So if you don't have a homelink or auto dimming mirror there won't be any wires to the mirror. You'll need to use IDCs and your own wires to go from the A pillar to the mirror. This is how the IDCs work.

If you have the upgraded mirror the plug for it is under the mirror shroud and easy to access. I'm currently waiting for this adapter to be in stock for my hard wire solution.
Did you end up using that adapter? If so, does it work well?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Did you end up using that adapter? If so, does it work well?
@perseus Since it wasn't specifically made for a car you have to do some wiring work yourself. If you have the auto dimming mirror, you can pull back the sheath for it, the red cable is ignition power and the blue cable is constant power. So you want to tap into the red cable and the black one for ground. I was able to fit the little converter in a corner and replace the plastic trim. There is a gap at the bottom of the plastic housing for ventilation and my usb cable to the dash cam comes out of that. So far it's worked great and I haven't had any issues or any need to take it apart again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts