2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a dash cam to mount in the right side of the windshield, probably upper right. Hoping we can see the right front fender with the LCD screen on it to tell us where the car is relative to stuff it could hit. Wife has already hit a curb just in front of the right rear wheel because she had no idea where the car is. She's been pissed at me for 9 years for getting rid of her 1983 240D where she could see all 4 corners of the car.

With the side view mirrors and rear camera, she's okay with the rear part now, but she always swings way wide in making right hand turns because she has no idea where the car is.

Anyone else did this? The dash cam would have been useful in our Jetta for when a neighbor's big dog actually tried to "eat" the car. Put a sizable dent in the door: $300 to repair. The neighbor swore up and down that her dog never left the property. A dash cam would have caught the dog in action, as he did go by the right front of the car.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
Oh boy here we go again.
Never had a problem judging where the right side of the car is. They do teach that sort of stuff in driving school, or did at one time anyhow. :dunno:
If you have to watch an LCD screen in order or parallel park or to navigate a turn without going up onto the sidewalk, you are not capable of watching anything else around you. This can be a very dangerous situation, especially if the car is turning at an intersection and the driver is looking at the dashcam instead of the road.
This is the sort of person that should be required to take driver competency courses at regular intervals. If you can't demonstrate everyday driving skills such as driving forward and turning around a corner or parking the car without hitting something you should not be driving a car.:bash:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She drove our 1983 240D for 25 years with no accident except for a couple of deer hitting the car, virtually unavoidable.

She's a very good driver. She's uncomfortable because she simply cannot see the 4 corners of the car. For 25 years and before that, she clearly could. They're designed for aerodynamics. Being able to tell where they are is 2nd choice. May be one reason why so many are turning to SUVs. For those, you can at least immediately see where the rear corners are but don't have a clue what's directly behind until rear cameras came out.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
Having good judgement is a prerequisite for being a good driver. A good driver knows where the corners are without having to see them. If your judgement is bad enough so that even after 25 years of experience you still don't know where the corners of the car are, you are not defined as a "good" driver. Lucky maybe but not good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having good judgement is a prerequisite for being a good driver. A good driver knows where the corners are without having to see them. If your judgement is bad enough so that even after 25 years of experience you still don't know where the corners of the car are, you are not defined as a "good" driver. Lucky maybe but not good.
Wow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Attached are two photos, one of where I installed mine, and one where u can see exactly the right/left span.

Let me know if this helps you, since then you can still leave it center. If you want it more to the right, perhaps you can move it right more.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Finally a reply where rocks aren't being thrown. Guys who threw the rocks, move yourself down about 6 to 9" in the drivers seat and determine what you can see and imagine driving the car being this "blind". I already have the driver's seat as high as it will go, and she still cannot see the front corners of the car. It's more difficult for me to get into it that into the Miata because of the raised seat. Otherwise, I can drive it fine from where she has it, but have to adjust the mirror to see behind.

I'll have to move it around. It'll come down to a spot where the right front fender can be seen as well as the LCD from the driver's seat.

The neatest ones around are the ones that replace the mirror and project the image onto the right side of the mirror. Can't do that on ours because we have the "smart" mirror with the garage openers on it and self dimmer.

Ralph

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tesla X drivers are having trouble parking.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...th-monitor-for-front-bumper-protection.19669/

This is really a problem with ALL cars and probably most of the SUVs: poor visibility up front. No one is going to install one until ONE company does it, or the government requires it.

Not sure the dash cam will work. I've one mounted and did a little bit of trial with it. Don't think the right front corner can be determined, even from the camera's position high on the windshield.

The local Cruthfield does front camera installs. May get them to install on. Even the wireless ones require messing with the wiring and the inside paneling (to hide the wire to the LCD). They're expert at those things.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That thread was from 2013, and it was applying to a Model S, not X.

Pretty sure you will find a thread like that on nearly any car forum out there....

In my mind the only way to do what you want is a camera on the outside - side of the car to view the front quarter. I don't know how one could install that cleanly without some major work.

I'd take her out to an empty parking lot with some comes and practice with some cones a bit to get more familiar with where the car actually is in relation to her point of view.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can't say I've had the issue with placing the car at it's edges but I've noticed this in any car post about 2005 - the A pillars are gigantic!
At stop lights I've lost pedestrians in them, I've seen Geo Metros disappear before my very eyes. Never an issue with my 91 Celica, 99 Grand Prix, 95 Corolla or especially my 95 Legacy wagon. Between rollover protection, pedestrian safety and housing airbags - cars belt and hoodlines have raised, pillars all thicker and hatchbacks have lost the advantage of giant rear glass.

Hope you find a good solution, possibly a wide angle mirror on the sideviews, that'd allow her to see the side of the vehicle and not obscure more of the windshield.
I have these because I thought they provided a more "OEM" look like newer Fords have, they can be adjusted to easily show the edges of the car.

2X Car Accessories Rear View Blind Spot Mirror Adjustable Wide Angle Assist Part | eBay

Not the best shot of them, especially since I have them 3M'd in place. As a note, there is someone standing behind the A pillar...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I do understand what you are saying - I'm 5'6", and traded in a 2014 Nissan Sentra (and previously turned down a 2014 Honda Civic )for the reasons you note. The hood on those two was so sloped - at least from my preferred driving position - that I couldn't even see the left front, much less the right front. It was like driving a minivan where all you see is road and the windshield wipers. . I don't have that issue with the 2014 Mazda 3 though, which was one of the selling points. My lesson learned is never to buy a daily driver for me or my wife without a good test drive by the person who'll be driving it - though sometimes just sitting in the car is enough.

And I'll agree with ADarkerBreed above - the A-posts are a new blind spot to watch out for. I now take an extra second or two, especially on left turns, to make sure there's nothing hiding behind them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife absolutely cannot see the ends of the hood. The dash cam didn't work.

We've not found a sedan where she can see anything. She's been pissed about this ever since I made her sell the 1983 240D where she could literally see all 4 corners of the car. Keep thinking I should have spent the money and had it turbo charged and kept it. It was is like-new condition and was literally the easiest car in the world to work on.

Next time, maybe go to one of those "alternative" vehicles like a Honda Fit, etc. Thought she wasn't interested in these because she told a sales person who was pushing them that she wasn't into alternative vehicles. She now denies every saying that.

You can buy the hardware to put a camera at the top of the front license plate cover. Not sure about some issues with it and how well it'll work. The rear one on the car is only good for seeing how close your bumper is to something back there. Of course, that's basically what she needs in front, too, but also needs to know how close the right front is to a curb, etc. Not sure a front camera will show this well.

Ralph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts