2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a big box deal around the rear view mirror, not sure what all is even in there. Wondering if anyone has that and also a dash cam installed. I am curious if it takes up too much space on windshield, would love some pics.
Thank you!

·
Registered
327 Posts
That box houses the sensors for some of the iActive Sense stuff.

This is my first dash cam. I got it because my last 3 was totaled in a not at fault accident a month and a half ago and one of the first things the police asked when they arrived on site was if anyone had a dash cam recording.

I bought the smallest mainstream one I could find that still had a screen. Papago S30. Got a decent deal on it on Black Friday.

It tucks mostly behind the mirror nicely, I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: thatryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That box houses the sensors for some of the iActive Sense stuff.

This is my first dash cam. I got it because my last 3 was totaled in a not at fault accident a month and a half ago and one of the first things the police asked when they arrived on site was if anyone had a dash cam recording.

I bought the smallest mainstream one I could find that still had a screen. Papago S30. Got a decent deal on it on Black Friday.

It tucks mostly behind the mirror nicely, I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger.

Hope this helps.
Oh awesome, thank you. I was worried that big block took up too much space.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like you are tapping power from that big block behind the mirror? What voltages did you find in there? Want to install a dash cam too and would like to pull power from there instead of running a wire around the windshield to someplace under the dash.

Sure wish I could get a service manual for the car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am tapping into ignition power at the rear view mirror. I have the HomeLink mirror, I'm not sure if non HomeLink mirrors have ignition power or not. No service manual needed, just a multi-meter to test the leads.

The little box (fastened to the sensor cover with velcro) houses the guts of a 12v to 5v USB car charger. I dismantled a spare cigarette lighter charger I had kicking around, placed the guts into that little box I bought, cut an opening for the USB port and soldered some leads to it so I could back-tap into power at the rear view mirror harness. I then heat shrinked the leads to the box and wrapped the USB cable in hockey tape to protect everything and make it blend in as much as possible.

My whole goal was to not have to rip anything apart to run any cables, to not modify any OEM wiring and make it very easily removable and replaceable to not void any warranty etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've taken 12V from middle box 12V socket wiring, using converter to 5V with USB connector. Wire is hidden in rubber around passenger doors and above windshield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts