2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats up you guys!

I own a 2010 mazda 3s hb and will begin to hellaflush it. Im slammed on bc coilovers.

This week i will receive my MB battles 18x9.5 in bronze and going to be stretching 215 on them.:shocked:

also I got a my Corksport exhaust with racepipe in March, and dominant engineering camber arms.

keep posted will update with pictures

[/url] 100_3446 by danny93905, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] 100_3447 by danny93905, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] 100_3445 by danny93905, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
If I were you I wouldnt stretch a 215 on a rim that wide! Thats way too much why not stretch at least 235 and up!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the kids over at mazdafitment and wrong fitment crew consider that stretch normal

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I know it would work but its just very hard on the tire it would look like this

·
Registered
201 Posts
.. Or you could not stretch at all and keep the integrity of the tire at the level it's supposed to be. Do some research before you decide to stretch your tires, it's not as smart of an idea as people make it out to be.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
.. Or you could not stretch at all and keep the integrity of the tire at the level it's supposed to be. Do some research before you decide to stretch your tires, it's not as smart of an idea as people make it out to be.
This^ you can be hellaflush with a safer wider tire..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Putting a 215 (8.46" width) on a 9.5" wheel isn't very extreme at all. I've seen 195s on a 10" before.

Besides the bead to bead distance (in this case) is 9". So, stretch wise, it won't really be much. There are tire brands that have a much easier time being stretched than others. Generally Michelin, Continental, General, Nexen all stretch well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wheels will be in on the 23, so pictures by then. And for the tires i did say hellaflush and i have them already:stuart:

·
Registered
292 Posts
What kind of tires? The picture that was posted before was a Falken FK452 which like the rest of Falken's lineup, runs very thin. A 215/40-18 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec (if it's even offered in that size) would fit like a Falken 235 since they tend to run super fat. Same with Federal SS595. Really depends on what tire he ends up with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The magnitude to which you stretch a tire, while it makes a difference, doesn't change the fact that you're hurting it in the long run.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
LOL @ wrong fitment crew recommending wrong fitment. Makes sense.

@danny93905. Falken ziex ze-512 stretch well. With any radical stretch you need to run higher than stock pressures in the tires so you don't blow the tire bead off the wheels when you turn. You probably know that already.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The magnitude to which you stretch a tire, while it makes a difference, doesn't change the fact that you're hurting it in the long run.
And you know this as a fact :001_huh:

You're better off with a stretched tire vs a bulged one actually. Too fat of a tire = a cupped contact patch as well as too much sidewall compliance from being buckled. A stretched tire is actually more well supported laterally. Obviously there are limits and I'm not saying you should hit the race track with 215's on your 18x9.5 but stretching is not nearly as bad as it looks or is made out to be.

·
Registered
508 Posts
LOL @ wrong fitment crew recommending wrong fitment. Makes sense.

@danny93905. Falken ziex ze-512 stretch well. With any radical stretch you need to run higher than stock pressures in the tires so you don't blow the tire bead off the wheels when you turn. You probably know that already.
You may need to run different air pressures simply because it is a different tire, but not because you are stretching the tire.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You may need to run different air pressures simply because it is a different tire, but not because you are stretching the tire.
In terms of optimal performance, yes... each tire is different as to what pressure it runs best. In this case though, we're talking more PSI simply to keep more than normal force on the sidewalls to keep them beaded with the wheel since the tire is stretched.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In terms of optimal performance, yes... each tire is different as to what pressure it runs best. In this case though, we're talking more PSI simply to keep more than normal force on the sidewalls to keep them beaded with the wheel since the tire is stretched.
Irrelevant. You do not need more pressure just because the tires are stretched.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
@liquidms3gt. Hella stretched tires either leak or unseat the bead if you don't keep the pressure at least in the 40+ psi range. I have a friend who has a Dumped Dub on bags with 205's on 9" wheels. He runs 45psi.

In my experience the shorter sidewall tires (stretching shortens the sidewall) need more air pressure. This takes some of the load off of the already short sidewall, and while it causes the tire to 'slide' more readily, it won't have as much 'give' which means while sitting it will be less likely to leak past the bead and air down (vertical deformation). More importantly, while cornering the tire will resist wobbling around which can cause it to be torn off the bead/rim (lateral deformation), just the same. Shorter sidewalls and wider wheels definitely need more air pressure.

When you stretch a tire you're taking the sidewall, which acts like a spring, off the vertical plane, where it was intended to be reinforced on one side with air, and moving it to an angle. This reduces the ability of the sidewall to do it's job, which is maintain solid contact with the bead and resist horizontal flex. Higher air pressure is crucial on a stretched tire, as you have compromised the basic design of the tire.

Not only does running too low an air pressure increase the likelihood of a blowout (overheating), or tearing the tire off the bead, but you're also putting your wheels at greater risk to potholes and road debris by allowing the tire to compress more than needed.

The suggestions of 40psi is definitely a good starting point.

Reactions: Rherold9
1 - 20 of 140 Posts