2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 year old self cannot think straight some times.. I was removing the then ruined silver pinstripes, and, after removing it with a plastic razors and goo gone, i noticed glue residues under. I tried with every microfiber towel possible and goo gone but the adhesive wouldnt come off. I had the amazing idea of grabbing the green side of a kitchen sponge and rub it while raining. When everything dried up after a storm, the whole length of the car on both sides revealed little scratches a d swirl marks and some parts where i went harder showed a little lighter paint color. I think it’s clear coat damage only because in the rain i cant see any scratches, same reason why i didnt realize all the damage i was causing. I was thinking of 5000 sandpaper and polisher. Any idea? I hate when my ride isn’t perfect and they really bother me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, I would wet sand high grit to make it uniform followed by compound then polish. I took pinstripes off mine with no issue (3 month old car) but still getting the residue off alone was some work rubbing. Do yourself a favor and borrow or buy a DA buffer and save you some wear and tear. It will also probably polish up nicer.

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
Green scotchbrite is the equivalent of 600grit sandpaper. Given that the scratches go away when wet, it is clearcoat damage. You can easily fix it, here's a good DIY video (plenty more if you want to look, but this guy does things simply):

1 - 3 of 3 Posts