2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im new here and love the forum, been on many forums for a ton of different hobbies and this place seems to be very unified. ----------------> on to the quesiton:clap:

I work as an health inspector for the city I live close to and its time to start thinking about a new car. My Mustang has approx 145k right now and is still running in B+ shape. But givin my career path at the moment driving it around all day for no less than 160 miles per day, it has really started to be very uncomfortable all around for this type of work.

I love turbo cars and was bitten by the bug living next door to three people with Evo's. But 40k is not possible now or for a long time and was set on buying an RSX-S and throwing a mild turbo on it and being content for mildly used 12k car when it was all said and done.

Then I rememberred that Mazda had a turbo car:yes:, then I remembered the smile face:rolleyes 1:

Then I while I was searching google I came across this place and saw the pictures of the White one from Sema and fell in love, almost a crush if you will:001_wub 1:

So my quesiton is, do any of you use your MS3 as a heavy daily driver, if you do please share your thoughts.... What do you like over the car you came from? or how has the interior held up? is there enough space to have a little mobile office going on in your car?.....

Thanks everyone and loving the site so far.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I don't use my 2010 m3 i touring as a daily commuter (I can walk to a lot of the places I need to get to). The conclusion I came to when buying a new compact car was this: If you want a slightly sporty, fun ride, get a m3. If you want a cushier ("family-oriented") ride comfortable for your passengers, get a Civic. The ride on the m3, and the limit space in the backseat, might not agree with drivers who need to haul around passengers regularly. On the other hand, if you are the only one who will be in your car for most of the time and wants a peppy ride, get the m3. The fuel economy on the Civic is slightly better, though. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I do use the Speed3 as my daily driver...now, I only have a 35 mile round-trip commute, but it's probably enough for you to get a decent feel for the funtionality of the vehice.

Firstly, if you're looking to maximize your fuel economy then look elsewhere. There are definitely more economical cars out there than the Speed3. That being said, the car is definitely a blast to drive, it accelerates pretty effortlessly and handles very well...you might even start looking forward to your commute just so you get a chance to drive the car :yes:.

My previous daily driver was my Mazda Protege5...it still does some duty as the grocery getter/utility vehicle. The Speed3 is definitely a step above the Protege when it comes to creature comforts and features...but you'd expect that, after all the Protege is 8 yeasr old. Amenities such a Bluetooth and steering wheel controls for your radio features are very convenient. Where the Protege beats the speed is in cost of upkeep and fuel. Otherwise the Speed3 is an upgrade in every sense of the word.

As far as comfort, I like the way the Speed3's seats are supportive enough without becoming overly stiff...I've yet to take the car on a really long drive (over 200 miles at one time) but I can't really see the vehicle becoming uncomfortable for the driver for any reasonable lengths of time (after 3 hours or so without an breaktime any car can get uncomfortable though). Passenger room is a bit tight in the back though, it's OK for kids but full grown adults will definitely start to feel cramped if you're driving for any long distances. Storage is ample and should accomodate most reasonable needs.

Probabaly the biggest selling point for me was the fact that the car is so much fun to drive. It can turn a boring commute into a spirited run provided that traffic cooperates :yes:.

I reccommend test drving one at the very least. It will put a smile on your face for sure...then you'll have do decide whether the marginal increased fuel and upkeep cost are justified by your ear to ear grin. Keep in mind that it'll probably cost you just a bit more money down the road too...especially if you stick around these forums for any length of time...modifying the Speed3 can be a very rewarding but expensive experience (spoken from first-hand knowledge).

N

·
0 Posts
It's my DD - although my commute is only 30 miles both ways. You mentioned 160 miles/day - in city or hwy? If city, you might consider something with paddle shifters (GTi).

The pluses over my 07 Civic Si are the interior quality/materials, paint, torque (obviously lol), extra HP, extra storage (hatchback), steering feel (can feel the road)
The negatives: short power range, heavier, not as toss-able (due to heaviness) , more usable interior storage, aftermarket parts are hard to get, the stupid grin, tranny is shit compared to Hondas, torque steer

the interior has good initial quality, however i've been getting these white scuff speckles on the plastic that I'm unable to get off - really annoying. Honestly, I think Mazda did a shitty job of interior storage space. There's very few places to put your wallet, cell phone etc, without using the cup holders. The storage bin under neath the a/c is too small. Seats are fine, but could use more upper support

overall, i like the car, but like all my cars, i have gripes about it

·
1,091 Posts
My daily round trip work commute is only about 20 miles a day, most of which is sitting in traffic on the freeway or city driving if I take a different route. After three and a half months I've only put in about 2900 miles. So I'm probably not your target demographic, but I'll provide a data point.

The roads in Los Angeles are atrocious, and coming from a comfortable 4dr sedan with larger sidewall tires and cushy suspension to this car has been has been a somewhat jarring experience. It really does make me appreciate smooth roads that much more. I haven't driven many high performance cars on our roads so I couldn't given much comparison, but I suspect some adjustable aftermarket shocks will do me some good as they become available.

It's definitely a lot more fun than the car I came from in some respects- it's helluva lot faster, has a turbo, stops on a dime and handles very predictably as you learn to understand the car. But it also requires more attention to drive this car, particularly smoothly. Definitely not the car for the lazy driver in any regards- lackadaisical shifting, one-finger/knee steering, etc.

Interior is fine, but it responds well to proper maintenance. I can only imagine how long it'd last with absolutely no care and sitting under the sun all day. Window tint does help prolong the interior as well and I'll be getting it done when the weather warms up.

If you're planning to be driving the car alone most of the time and working out of it, I think you can definitely pull some sort of mobile office off. I've sat in the rear seat before hammering away on my laptop a couple times, and my hatch typically holds my camera gear every weekend.

If you loved the SEMA MS3, be aware that currently there isn't a white version of the car available in the US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My commute is super short, but I'll throw in my two cents. If you're doing a lot of driving, like the others said, there are plenty of other cars with better fuel economy. That said, the car is always fun to drive. I live in Plano, part of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex and traffic can be a little thick at times. The biggest issue I have with the car is that it want's to be driven fast, but there aren't many opportunities for it around here. The interior finish is great, I also had a Protege5 before this and it is indeed a step up. The Tech package is nice, and I'm happy I got it, though some people aren't happy with the Nav screen. I believe all Speed3 models support Bluetooth. I have an iPhone so I can stream my music through Bluetooth, and of course phone calls. If you're driving and talking on the phone, it's a nice feature that shouldn't be overlooked.

Seating wise, I've never had any complaints from any friends that tag along with me to lunch. Occasionally someone has to sit bitch and it never turns into a big deal like some of my other friends vehicles. Now back last fall I drove my Speed3 from Dallas to Michigan and back, with a stop over in Chicago. I split it up into two day trips both ways, and by the end of each day my back was killing me. I'm not sure there are many cars that would have left me feeling good after 12 hours of driving though. Still, the car was a blast to drive, particularly through the Ozark Mountain area which I took as back way home. The car ate up all the twisty roads through there and was just an totally incredible experience in the car.

If you're putting in major miles daily, you might want to consider the VW GTi. I've read repeatedly that the GTi features better interior materials. They also speak to the fit and finish being above that of the Speed3. Downside on that guy is it doesn't have as much power. The other car to consider, is the WRX. A friend of mine just picked a new '09 a few weeks ago and it seems pretty nice. If you get snow where you live, you might want to consider that guy instead for the AWD. *Note: He's mentioned on more than one occasion he might have a little buyers remorse picking that up instead of the Speed3 which he was on the fence about. Finally one other car to consider, if your coming from a Mustang specifically, is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6. It's a little more than the Speed3, but it has a little more power and features the RWD that you might be accustomed to.

Hope that helps and gives you some options to check into!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2010 MS3 is my daily driver - 90 mile round trip for work. Plus, I do another 10-20 after work from driving around. Depending on how I drive (if I go 85mph the whole way to work, or 65) I get pretty decent gas mileage. Full tank gets me about 400miles. Not too bad, I'd say. Not to mention, it's very fun to drive on the highway. In the city, it's very subtle when you need it to be. If you're on the fence about it, get the MS3... I was for a while.. and I'm absolutely in love with it. I saw it online, like you, and fell in love... went in and test drove it on a Friday, bought it on the very next Tuesday... haven't regretted it since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think Im pretty sure it'll be mine some day in the near future, I got a little credit to get rid of first and want at least 2k for a down payment. But Im confident my mind is made up for sure. I have definately cut out needless spending for awhile so the day can come as early as possible.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2010 MS3 is also my daily driver. I've got about at 50 mile round trip commute each morning. 99% of it is highway driving and the change in elevation is about 3000ft. The little Mazda loves that drive as much as I do each morning and afternoon. I could stick it in neutral and coast for a good 7 miles of it if I cared to do such a thing. Straight aways, up hill, down hill, through the switch backs, it's a fun way to start each work day. The base model had all of the amenities I cared about, save one - headlights that turn themselves on/off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
As much as I enjoy my Speed, if I was driving more than what I do, I'd probably buy the VW GTI, or Golf Diesel if you need even better milage. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy driving the Speed, but it does come at a price. It's stiff and loud and if you are okay with that, be my guest. It's not exactly civil if you ask my wife.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my speed in August and i have 20,000 on the odometer already. I am in sales and drive alot. I wanted something fun to drive if I was going to be doing this much and it had to be in my price range. Yes it has a little road noise but I turn up the radio and its all good.:rock 1:

·
Registered
177 Posts
While I agree with turning up the radio, I've got a wife and two kids and that doesn't always work too well. I suspect I'm one of the older owners on the board (Yikes). Any long road trips we take will be in the wife's Accord. Nothing against the Speed, because I really do enjoy the car and it makes me smile every time I jump on it but it is loud and stiff. If you know what you are getting yourself into, that's fine.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I've got a wife and kid too (I also think I'm one of the "old" guys on here) and while her MZ3 2.5 GT is definitely more comfortable they don't mind the occasional spirited run every now and again.

For long drives though it really does depend on how much comfort you require. Some will find the Speed3 just fine while others will definitely need more...refinement.

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy driving the Speed, but it does come at a price. It's stiff and loud and if you are okay with that, be my guest. It's not exactly civil if you ask my wife.
:yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts