2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 238 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Could be....where did you see that?

Anyway same concept at least. I can't imagine CD on the 2.0 it's probably even worse. Gives hope there may be one for the 2.5 in NA
The TSB is from Mazda Germany. The German market doesn't have 2.5L cars. Page 13/14 of the TSB specifies the models and engines.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If anyone continues to have this issue - can you share some oil pressure readouts before and after the service bulletin fix? It'd be interesting to know if part of the software fix is to bump up pressure.

(not sure if you can log/view oil pressure with a $15 obdII wifi or bluetooth adapter and an app, like torque app)

I also wonder if different markets/climates are using different viscosity oils from factory on the same motor. If these are dropping lifters new, it's not going to be pretty at 150-200k miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
If anyone continues to have this issue - can you share some oil pressure readouts before and after the service bulletin fix? It'd be interesting to know if part of the software fix is to bump up pressure.

(not sure if you can log/view oil pressure with a $15 obdII wifi or bluetooth adapter and an app, like torque app)

I also wonder if different markets/climates are using different viscosity oils from factory on the same motor. If these are dropping lifters new, it's not going to be pretty at 150-200k miles.
There is no oil pressure pressure monitoring, not that anybody can see without spending a bunch of money anyhow. The problem is not oil pressure related anyway. Its mostly software issues causing the CD to transition poorly, and possibly hardware issues related to engine bay harmonics.
Of course different markets use different viscosity oils. Thats common knowledge if you own a 3 and have opened the owners manual.
The problem has nothing to do with "dropping lifters", the problem is vibrations are occurring in 2 cyl mode and the ECU isn't transitioning from 2 to 4 cylinders properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is no oil pressure pressure monitoring, not that anybody can see without spending a bunch of money anyhow. The problem is not oil pressure related anyway. Its mostly software issues causing the CD to transition poorly, and possibly hardware issues related to engine bay harmonics.
Of course different markets use different viscosity oils. Thats common knowledge if you own a 3 and have opened the owners manual.
The problem has nothing to do with "dropping lifters", the problem is vibrations are occurring in 2 cyl mode and the ECU isn't transitioning from 2 to 4 cylinders properly.
Got it, so software isn't allowing oil pressure to pump lifter at the correct timing/lash. That's unfortunate oil pressure can't be monitored for engine health, esp. for cutting pressure to certain lifters on CD.

And yes, lifters are 'dropping'... whatever term you'd like to call it, here's what Mazda calls it:
"an intake valve rocker arm may come out of position and make contact with internal engine parts"

Why the heck would a rocker arm fall off or come out of position if the lifter wasn't dropped at a time when it shouldn't be?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think you summed it up well. There certainly is an engine bay acoustics element that makes it real noticeable at certain rpm

The transition isn't great but it's not the worst symptom for me. It's the going from floating on a cloud to shaking like you have a wheel out of alignment while having a low pitched drone when it's silent on 4 cyl.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mazda are replacing Cylinder Heads on all these cars with CD that have 'issues', in fact they are making a complete new Cylinder Head assembly available for Dealers to purchase for warranty claim repairs so they do not have to install small parts like valve, springs, etc.
I assume that these new Heads are modified in some way as clearly CD is not working as it should, most car brands (in fact all) have problems with this stupid set up.
Many have abandoned this useless engineering marvel. (IMO)

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Oh and the problem is with the deactivating lifters NOT deactivating correctly with end results of scouring or scratched Camshafts lobes, even Cylinder liner bores are scratched or scouring in some cases.
Where is this coming from?
This is the problem according to Mazdas Safety Recall Report 19V-497
On certain Powertrain Control Modules (PCM), the software controlling the
hydraulic valve clearance adjuster may operate improperly when transitioning
from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes. As a result, an
intake valve rocker arm may come out of position and make contact with
internal engine parts
The deactivated lifters are not being reactivated properly. Or is that a typo in your post?
I can see why new heads are being installed if the cam lobes are whacking an out of position rocker arm. Thats a sure way to crack the bearing caps and saddles, ruin cam bearings, bend cam shafts etc. Best to just replace the whole thing as a unit now to avoid a return engagement....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mazda are replacing Cylinder Heads on all these cars with CD that have 'issues', in fact they are making a complete new Cylinder Head assembly available for Dealers to purchase for warranty claim repairs so they do not have to install small parts like valve, springs, etc.
Do you know if this applies to the 2.0L as well as the 2.5L?
I ask because I have a UK 2.0L Skyactive-G with 6MT and cannot detect CD operation even though the display graphic shows it is constantly activated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The European TSB for 2.0 G BP and DM (the X doesn't have CD) only mentions radiator brackets replacement for modified ones and a PCM update for a range of VIN's, no cylinder head replacements. Mine is going in for that fix next week, will report back with the result.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh and the problem is with the deactivating lifters NOT deactivating correctly with end results of scouring or scratched Camshafts lobes, even Cylinder liner bores are scratched or scouring in some cases.
I think you may be referencing the issue with the rocker arm recall from last year when the rocker arms could cause damaged to the engine components which would need replacement. Though to this day I swear this issue popped up after the recall was performed on the PCM. I could be crazy or It could just be a coincidence. However if they mucked about with the PCM parameters and threw some "Harmonic Balance" off for the sake of saving the engine damage, It may be causing the issue. Hence the updated PCM and radiator attachments.

Obviously I was too trusting with Mazda to implement a decent deactivation system. This is what happens when you rush and buy something without doing research on all car systems(Cylinder Deactivation) I think with all the government fossil fuel regulations now they have run out of idea's other then deactivating cylinders. I find it hard to believe Mazda engineers, after all these years weren't aware of the issues with CD across pretty much every car brand. The funny thing is that someone very close to me has a 2014 Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv G engine which is pretty similiar to this one but it doesn't have CD and the mileage on that car is pretty much exactly the same. (Difference of maybe 0.1-0.2 Litres/100)

And I though I was a particular person until I saw the guy talking about the dashboard making a creaking noise when he was poking it lol.

The European TSB for 2.0 G BP and DM (the X doesn't have CD) only mentions radiator brackets replacement for modified ones and a PCM update for a range of VIN's, no cylinder head replacements. Mine is going in for that fix next week, will report back with the result.
Yea let us know!

I can only imagine the vibration is worse on 2.0

·
Registered
160 Posts
.....The funny thing is that someone very close to me has a 2014 Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv G engine which is pretty similiar to this one but it doesn't have CD and the mileage on that car is pretty much exactly the same. (Difference of maybe 0.1-0.2 Litres/100)
Yes, the federal fuel economy guide shows an annual savings of $26 with CD over 20,000km of driving!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you may be referencing the issue with the rocker arm recall from last year when the rocker arms could cause damaged to the engine components which would need replacement. Though to this day I swear this issue popped up after the recall was performed on the PCM. I could be crazy or It could just be a coincidence.
But we've been told Mazda's software update didn't adjust pump oil pressure so the lifter's being stuck open shouldn't..... because oil pressure doesn't have anything to do with...

o wait.

lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Hydraulic Lash adjustors in that video are what controls the CD and these hydraulic lash adjusters are driven by oil pressure. A major part of the recall they had for the rocker arm was due to insufficient oil pressure preventing it from flipping back from 2 cylinders to 4. If you look at page 3 here you can see

The reason I say that the vibration could be worse on the 2.0 litre(On affected Cars) is because at least on mine(I have 2.5), it feels like sometimes it is labouring to deliver power to the car when in 2 cylinder mode. The 2.0 litre is a smaller engine and thus possibly could have worse vibration due to labouring (It's all hypothetical at this point so take it with a grain of salt)

161 - 180 of 238 Posts