2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2020 is a hatchback and it’s equipped with CD. I find it odd that only the 2.5 GS with no options sedans don’t have CD. Also the hatchbacks coming to Canada are Japan build and the sedans are Mexico.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My 2020 is a hatchback and it’s equipped with CD. I find it odd that only the 2.5 GS with no options sedans don’t have CD. Also the hatchbacks coming to Canada are Japan build and the sedans are Mexico.
The no-options GS 2.5 FWD 6spd A/T sedan- and the same powertrain car with the Luxury Package have no CD here in Canada. Not sure re in the 'States.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anybody heard back on the cylinder deactivation fix??

I know Mazda was working on a fix, and someone in this thread from Montreal had a ticket open with Mazda in regards to the issue.

Any updates??
Yes, Mazda Europe recently put a TSB for this issue (June 10th), to reduce the resonance of the radiator which happens during CD. It involves replacing the radiator mounting brackets with modified ones as well as a PCM software update to support the modified brackets, since only installing the modified radiator mount brackets without PCM update, could result in worse vibration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After seeing this thread, I've been watching my cylinder deactivation screen while driving (2020/May M3 HB AWD AT) and I honestly don't have anything to complain about. It only drops into two cylinder operation at the lightest of throttle with no perceptable vibration after the initial switch and at the slightest increase, it unnoticably goes back to 4 cyl. I came to the M3 after driving a Nissan Leaf and I have driven NOTHING with as linear and smooth power delivery than the Leaf. The M3 transmission/drivetrain is sloppy/jerky in comparison. My only concern with CD is the longevity of the gizmos that do the actuation.

Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ed, I guess you are having the revised parts and software build in straight out of the factory. I wish I was that lucky. Gonna contact my dealer next week with the new info. The radiator causing the vibrations in 2Cyl mode is consistent with what I have been told half a year ago when the fix (but nothing about updated software) was pulled by Mazda, as I wrote in this thread before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, Mazda3 built after 5th sept 2019 and CX-30 built after 30th august 2019, should already have updated PCM, only modified brackets needed, the TSB lists the whole VIN range for those.

·
Registered
572 Posts
After seeing this thread, I've been watching my cylinder deactivation screen while driving (2020/May M3 HB AWD AT) and I honestly don't have anything to complain about. It only drops into two cylinder operation at the lightest of throttle with no perceptable vibration after the initial switch and at the slightest increase, it unnoticably goes back to 4 cyl. I came to the M3 after driving a Nissan Leaf and I have driven NOTHING with as linear and smooth power delivery than the Leaf. The M3 transmission/drivetrain is sloppy/jerky in comparison. My only concern with CD is the longevity of the gizmos that do the actuation.

Ed
That indeed is very encouraging news! Other: I guess nothing really competes with the smoothness of an electric... but I would have thought that the switch from motive power to regenerative mode would be a challenge...

Re the sloppiness... i wonder if the pendulum-type flexplate/torque converter that the CD cars with an A/T require contributes to this...?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just noticed today that when I look at the fuel efficiency monitor when cruising along around 40mph/2000-3000rpm that when I let off the gas I start getting vibrations in the pedals. It doesn’t go to two cylinders though it’s when they all shut off. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just noticed today that when I look at the fuel efficiency monitor when cruising along around 40mph/2000-3000rpm that when I let off the gas I start getting vibrations in the pedals. It doesn’t go to two cylinders though it’s when they all shut off. Anyone else have this?
I’ve noticed similar vibrations at that speed, but much more prominent at 90km/h....only had the car about a week and will be taking a road trip for next few weeks and will be monitoring all scenarios and will try to report back...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, Mazda Europe recently put a TSB for this issue (June 10th), to reduce the resonance of the radiator which happens during CD. It involves replacing the radiator mounting brackets with modified ones as well as a PCM software update to support the modified brackets, since only installing the modified radiator mount brackets without PCM update, could result in worse vibration.
Would you by any chance happen to have a copy of the TSB? 🙂

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thats awesome to hear man!!!! Do you have that tsb?
Im Definitely gonna ask my dealer about it, next time my car goes for service

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, Mazda3 built after 5th sept 2019 and CX-30 built after 30th august 2019, should already have updated PCM, only modified brackets needed, the TSB lists the whole VIN range for those.
This would make sense as to why the issue does not appear to be so wide spread. Basically any car built before then would have the old radiator brackets and/or old pcm software.

I really hope this is the issue and I can get my dealer to do the fix

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’ve noticed similar vibrations at that speed, but much more prominent at 90km/h....only had the car about a week and will be taking a road trip for next few weeks and will be monitoring all scenarios and will try to report back...
Do you know the build date of your car?

·
Registered
17 Posts

You are sure about this? My sedan is Japan build.........................

·
Registered
254 Posts
If anyone has any progress with this in North America. Please post here to let us know how it went and whether it resolved the problem. I'll be working with my dealer to try and get this done. It always amazes me how each business unit of Mazda is always on different pages. Mazda Europe has a different answer then Mazda Japan and Mazda North America. You would think in this day and age, this information would be centralized across the company.

141 - 160 of 238 Posts