2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
You make it sound like everyone has the issue! Lots don't i'm one of them my CD is seamless on my 2019 AWD hatch! Just because your having an issue does not mean everyone is!
I don't understand why there is so much variation in peoples' experiences.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It has a purpose and its advantages. In any case I don't like it and I don't need it for better fuel consumption. I know how to behave the right foot for it. Maybe after do the SBS recall I'll change my mind as there seems to be improvements.

For now my position on the subject is that we should be able to choose if one wants it On or Off by choosing it on the infotainment system. That not being possible I'll seek to disable it for good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
As a prospective purchaser of a 2020 Hatch with manual transmission (sometime around March 2020) I have been following this thread closely and would like to know if anyone on this Forum, with a currently owned 2020 model, has not had problems with CD that diminish the driving experience.
I bought a 2020 a couple of weeks ago. So far I have not noted any unusual vibration, its smoother than my 2017 CX 5 not CD equipped. I have not yet ran the A.C, and that may be a factor. I have noted a slight jerk at times as if a torque converter is locking, unlocking.. Probably is torque converter but I don't feel it in the five. So far, my only complaint is wavy windshield distortion.
I dread having that addressed, as I am afraid they will muck something up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Source for your numbers? or is this just what your guessing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones that "experience" the CylDeactive going off and on as a slight jerk. Need to put the 4/2 cylinder picture on to make sure that is what it is. If I am just driving normally, with music on, it is damn near un-noticeable. Of course, having an AT surely masked the jerkiness during transition.

My dealer is still awaiting the final software update on the sudden-stop thingy as at last Friday. Apparently they were being told that the first iteration is buggy and need to be on hold. They do have the new "shims" for the gas filler cover that will make it fit better. We shall see how that one goes once installed together with the software upgrade.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There have been legitimate questions about how many incidences there have been of cars / drivers exhibiting / feeling (respectively) the CD transitions... and presumably also vibration WHILE IN CD mode. I hope the numbers are few... but to the extent that there are individuals within the Mazda3 enthusiasts' group... e.g our band of "cheerleaders"... and presumably other such groups - it is unfortunate. It does not take a rocket scientist to conceive that CD might be rough + vibration-prone. I would NOT have bought my '17 Mazda6 had it had CD - on principle. If Mazda is so sure that CD is acceptable to the driving public and so sure of their engineering prowess - let them fix the issue or make CD defeatable PROMPTLY.

·
Registered
211 Posts
LOL nice try.. that's a different issue... and there was a rocker arm recall for that! Not vibration around 80-90km/h witch most people don't have... I didn't have the vibration issue before the update or after the rocker arm update.. and I know lots that don't as well..

If anything Mazda will likely just issue a TSB for it as its not a major issue..

·
Registered
337 Posts
LOL nice try.. that's a different issue... and there was a rocker arm recall for that! Not vibration around 80-90km/h witch most people don't have... I didn't have the vibration issue before the update or after the rocker arm update.. and I know lots that don't as well..

If anything Mazda will likely just issue a TSB for it if anything as its not a major issue.
So you're admitting there IS a problem with CD but now there is more than just the rocker arm problem.
Just because you know other people don't have this problem doesn't negate the fact there is an issue for some others. Don't get all butt hurt just because people don't like the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So you're admitting there IS a problem with CD but now there is more than just the rocker arm problem.
Just because you know other people don't have this problem doesn't negate the fact there is an issue for some others. Don't get all butt hurt just because people don't like the car.
Rocker arm issues has been fixed... The vibration issue is not a major issue or safety issue and will likely have a TSB issued for it for the small number of people its effecting like they did with the door seals. And i'm not butt hurt that might be you... as your saying they should issue a recall for CD vibration..

And where is your source for your numbers i'm still waiting? all you sent me was the rocker arm recall.:)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rocker arm issues has been fixed... the vibration issue is not a major issue and will likely have a TSB issued for it for the smaller number of people its effecting like they did with the door seals. And i'm not butt hurt that might be you... as your saying they should issue a recall for CD vibration..

And where is your source for your numbers i'm still waiting?
How am I butt hurt? I want it to be fixed so I don't have to deal with this annoying problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
How am I butt hurt? I want it to be fixed so I don't have to deal with this annoying problem.
LOL your annoyed with the vibration I get that.... Mazda is normally on top of issues... compared to most car companys.. they will likely issue a TSB for it once they have enough data... but they likely don't have enough data yet or working on the issue..

Funny thing is my car will not do CD under 2000rpm but my car also sees red line every day... Wondering if it has to do with the ECU learning driving style and adjusting for it.... and lugging the engine in 2 cylinder mode for some people. Example my car shift up later then my friends as I drive mine harder then him even on light throttle mine shift later.

·
Registered
258 Posts
And I want it to be fixed so their reputation isn't tarnished and so they become a more viable and successful commercial operation. This would mean my car, a 2017 Mazda6 Sport, doesn't become an orphan...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey guys any update on this??
I don't really have an update from Mazda, though I haven't been trying hard lately as it's a real pain in the ass for me to get to the dealership at times. I do have some insight though. I am hypothesizing that the vibration has something to do with the automatic throttle control when the deactivation system kicks in. I think the throttle is set "Too Low" while in deactivation mode. The reason I say this as I have been experimented with the deactivation system while in manual mode and sport mode at the same time. When sport mode is on and I set the gear to the same gear and speed/RPM where the vibrations occur in normal drive mode and let the system enter CD mode, the vibrations are considerably less. The system also switches back to four cylinders much much quicker so that there is not a "lug" period where it is stuck between 2 and 4 cylinders. Also it is much harder to active two cylinders as well.

As far as I can tell, the only thing the sport mode switch does is increase the throttle response. I have definitely noticed a difference when it is on and cylinder deactivation kicks in. I have also learned that when the CD system kicks in there is a sort of "Auto cruising Throttle" that turns on so that it is more computer controlled than controlled with your foot. Unfortunately it is not really that reasonable to drive around in sport mode in the automatic drive setting as the rev's stay uncomfortably high. At least in Sport and Manual mode you can control your RPM better.

Take that with a grain of salt though, these are only my observations.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent observations. It doesn't help you, with a 6at... but folks with a 6mt can control this a bit more so, it would appear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got no updates on my side either. Called the dealer yesterday to see if they advanced and they hadn't heard back from the engineers.

After 3 months of the ticket being open, I'll contact Mazda Canada. Two more months to go.

I'll try the sport mode + manual mode option.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The SBS recall has gotten rid of the initial jerkiness and seems to have tamed the aggressiveness of CD. Driving home with a light foot I could not get CD to kick in under 80km/h when before i could.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts