2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the hatch manual and can report that while I can feel CD kick in when I cruise in low rpm, it only happens then, which usually leads to a down shift or just continued play with the acceleration... this car needs to run at least 2500 rpm for the best driving experience. I’m at 8000 miles and CD has been just a mild annoyance. Just my take Goldstar. Test a manual if you can.
Thank you very much. Your information is much appreciated. I certainly intend to test drive a manual when I'm ready to purchase which will probably be in March 2020.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the hatch manual and can report that while I can feel CD kick in when I cruise in low rpm, it only happens then, which usually leads to a down shift or just continued play with the acceleration... this car needs to run at least 2500 rpm for the best driving experience. I’m at 8000 miles and CD has been just a mild annoyance. Just my take Goldstar. Test a manual if you can.
Having a manual will certainly help as you can control revs and gears easier. In 5th gear the deactivation is essentially unnoticeable. Unfortunately wiyh the automatic it's much harder to control and I drive the car using the triptronic shifter on the highway to prevent it going up 6th gear at the wrong times and causing vibration.

The issue is that I should not need to drive my automatic in manual so as to have a smooth driving experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer has opened a ticket with Mazda Canada yesterday. Will advise of the outcome.
Awesome, Please let us know. Also I noticed your Canadian, are you from the Toronto area?

I would love to take my car to the same dealership. The more people complain, Mazda might do something about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm from the south of Montreal.

Regardless, I have the ticket number and if it ends up working, I'll guarantee share as much info to all of you. I'm finding this issue more than annoying.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts

Regardless, I have the ticket number and if it ends up working, I'll guarantee share as much info to all of you. I'm finding this issue more than annoying.

I've almost sold the car over it... It's unacceptably bad

·
Registered
257 Posts
Having a manual will certainly help as you can control revs and gears easier. In 5th gear the deactivation is essentially unnoticeable. Unfortunately wiyh the automatic it's much harder to control and I drive the car using the triptronic shifter on the highway to prevent it going up 6th gear at the wrong times and causing vibration.

The issue is that I should not need to drive my automatic in manual so as to have a smooth driving experience.
Dumb question, here... but please excuse the preamble which I believe is necessary...

With some automatic transmissions - manual mode (whether using paddles if so-equipped, or the Manual Gate at the shifter) - for some transmissions - the paddles or the stick is solely a "range select" device. What I mean with this is that if you are stopped, then you select "M" for manual, and you go "minus" one-time (one time only)... and you see a "5" in the display... In other words, it goes from allowing the transmission to automatically shift all of the way up to and including 6th gear as a max. down to allowing it to automatically only go up to and including 5th gear (i.e. it prevents the transmission from getting up to sixth gear). Having done this one click back, you start out... and the transmission starts in first.. and shifts automatically all the way to 5th... but it does NOT go into sixth. This is a "range-select" type "manual" control.

By comparison, there are other automatics out there, that truly operate (in manual mode) as in you select the gear. I suppose they are called automatics with "manumatic" control. The transmission logic module prevents the car from stalling (so, if you slow down, it automatically downshifts so stall is prevented)... or if you attempt to go above the redline in any gear... it'll automatically upshift. But other than these two extremes, truly, manual operation is occurring when in "M". Manumatic.

What type of transmission is the Mazda 6 speed SkyActiv AT... the former, or the latter?

I personally prefer the former... as I find that when I let a car shift automatically, I find it can do it better than my simultaneous operation of the throttle and my actuation of the shifter.

I would say that if the Mazda 6AT is a range-limiting controlled automatic, it'd be easier to deal with the stupid CD problem... by just range-selecting 5 as the max... and then letting the automatic do the rest. Not to say that this truly is a fix... but while Mazda figure out what to do with your problematic car... it would solve the frustration in the interim.

What type of AT does the Mazda3 have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bump... Anyone?
You can find out from the manual which is easily downloaded. My reading is that it truly operates as a manual shift in manual mode:

Manually Shifting Up
You can shift gears up by operating the
selector lever or the steering shift
switches*.
M1 → M2 → M3 → M4 → M5 → M6

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thx. Perchance do you have a reference / link for the manual? I have a Mazda6 by comparison...Pls/ thx... I figure the UK car has the same transmission logic as the north american one.

·
Registered
5 Posts

hey any update on this yet?

·
Registered
191 Posts
How could d they not give an option to disable this POS system. All the other issues I can deal with. But this one is the absolute worst problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to make a post here to share along with you. And I totally feel the same as BilboBaggins to be quite honest after having read this and another thread about cylinder deactivation here.

While I don't completely match the 3, I do share the same engine, transmission, and yes CD issue. -_-

In April 2018 I bought a brand new 2018 Mazda6 Touring. So 2.5L naturally aspirated, 6-speed automatic.

Given that the 6 sells in lower numbers than the 3 along with the fact that so many 6 trims come with the turbo instead of NA engine, I had been having a heck of a time finding people with the same issue. I arrived here through searches.

I first really began to notice it in the fall of 2018. I don't drive frequently enough to have been in a situation to encounter it before then. But its the exact same ranges as to what you are seeing. When under light load at 50-55 mph (which is about 80-90 kmh) and the CD kicks in, it becomes a quite noticeable shudder that only goes away by giving it more gas to kick it out of CD mode. I also have it very bad right at 28/29 mph (45/47 kmh). And like others, I repeatedly went back to multiple dealerships only to be consistently told that it is a normal behavior of the Skyactiv drivetrain. My concerns were never being addressed. Techs would ride along and also notice it but since there are no error codes they would say there is nothing to be done. Ugh.

I had secretly hoped that the PCM recall fix last year for the potential rocker arm issue was going to have the unintended side effect of solving the CD shudder. I had it done as soon as I could in July 2019 but was disappointed it did not do anything for it.

The CD shudder makes the car just not "fun" do drive. I shouldn't have to go out of my way to actively avoid certain speeds or rpm ranges when driving just to get around this clear flaw. And sometimes given certain roads and traffic it is sadly unavoidable. Like you, I too would love nothing more than to find away to disable the CD system completely. This shudder certainly can't be good for the mounts and such in the long run.

Anyways, I wanted to simply share this with you all and that it is a problem not limited to just the 3 as my 6 has it too. Not that it makes it any better for any of us. Incredibly frustrated by it all.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How could Mazda be so idiotic to actually release this CD system to the buying public???? What TOTAL idiots! You've got people HATING their newly acquired cars...

·
Registered
211 Posts
How could Mazda be so idiotic to actually release this CD system to the buying public???? What TOTAL idiots! You've got people HATING their newly acquired cars...
You make it sound like everyone has the issue! Lots don't i'm one of them my CD is seamless on my 2019 AWD hatch! Just because your having an issue does not mean everyone is!

41 - 60 of 97 Posts