2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
FWIW, I have a 2019 hatch AWD premium with 9K on the odometer and I haven't experienced any strange vibrations at any speed so far that I can tell. I did have the CD recall done in the first month I owned the car (June/July).

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is no noticeable driving difference with CD on or off. The only way I can tell is by monitoring via the monitor.
I am driving a 2020 M3 Sport (Hatch) GT AWD. Car had not had any program upgrade or recall. The only notable "defect" is a on-wheel leaky tire pressure monitor, dealer quickly fixed that.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones without this CD issue, and I am very happy with my car.
Can you elaborate on the leaky tire pressure monitor more? I think I have that too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
FWIW, I have a 2019 hatch AWD premium with 9K on the odometer and I haven't experienced any strange vibrations at any speed so far that I can tell. I did have the CD recall done in the first month I owned the car (June/July).
Also FWIW -- ours is an early-ish production '19 (hatch; GT; Premium) delivered beginning of May; now just over 14000kms. We have not had this problem. The transition between 2 and 4 cyl. is completely seamless, and at no time have I noticed any untoward vibration before or since the original CD recall done in July. I believe (would have to check) we had a further more minor PCM update done in early November (not a recall).

·
Registered
113 Posts
when you say vibration, what is the rhythm? i've experienced a wavy undulation on the highway before (which i thought was just road texture) but since i don't drive highway that much, i've since disregarded it. are you feeling rough vibration?

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's engine/transmission drivetrain vibration so would feel different than road vibration. The latter you can feel more in the suspension and sometimes with an accompanying slight "pull and tug" sensation of the steering wheel. Next time you experience it, apply more gas to disengage the cylinder deactivation and if the vibrations cease then you know the cause.

Alternatively you can monitor CD using the energy flow monitor found within the fuel efficiency section of the infotainment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's engine/transmission drivetrain vibration so would feel different than road vibration. The latter you can feel more in the suspension and sometimes with an accompanying slight "pull and tug" sensation of the steering wheel. Next time you experience it, apply more gas to disengage the cylinder deactivation and if the vibrations cease then you know the cause.

Alternatively you can monitor CD using the energy flow monitor found within the fuel efficiency section of the infotainment.
i'm still unclear what you mean. i've been in and out of CD on the highway and on streets, but i'm having trouble identifying how the vibrations feel. since the roads are not exactly flat, it's been tough to check if it's my engine or if it's the road. is it a rapid buzzing or a drummer's cadence? soft or violent? apologies in advance. i want to help you from my perspective

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can you elaborate on the leaky tire pressure monitor more? I think I have that too.
When the car was delivered, I took a tire pressure gauge to check the air, 38, 39,36, and 31. Red faced dealer.....
So the air were adjusted to 36 all around by the dealer.
I noticed that the 31 was losing air at ~2 pound/per week, and brought it to the dealer and they found out about the tire pressure monitor leak. Funny thing is that Mazda Canada did not have the spare parts in Canada (sic), have to wait for the parts from Japan. So instead of waiting for the new part, they swap the tire from another new M3 GT on the lot and my problem is solved.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When the car was delivered, I took a tire pressure gauge to check the air, 38, 39,36, and 31. Red faced dealer.....
So the air were adjusted to 36 all around by the dealer.
I noticed that the 31 was losing air at ~2 pound/per week, and brought it to the dealer and they found out about the tire pressure monitor leak. Funny thing is that Mazda Canada did not have the spare parts in Canada (sic), have to wait for the parts from Japan. So instead of waiting for the new part, they swap the tire from another new M3 GT on the lot and my problem is solved.
wouldn't the tpms have already screamed for your attention for that 31? i'm surprised dealer didn't see it when they brought it to you

·
Registered
145 Posts
I noticed that the 31 was losing air at ~2 pound/per week, and brought it to the dealer and they found out about the tire pressure monitor leak.
I don't know what tires they put on Canadian M3s, but the US M3s get Toyo Proxes. Many people down here are losing 2 psi per month per tire. Thought you would want to know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
wouldn't the tpms have already screamed for your attention for that 31? i'm surprised dealer didn't see it when they brought it to you
TPMS is only required to notify the driver when the tire pressure is at least 25% below recommended level. In the US, the recommended tire pressure is 36 psi, so the TPMS probably won't go off until the tire pressure gets down to 27 psi.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know what tires they put on Canadian M3s, but the US M3s get Toyo Proxes. Many people down here are losing 2 psi per month per tire. Thought you would want to know.
We get the same, or at least ours did (19 3 Sport [hatch] GT/Premium). We've not had any problems with pressure loss at all with them, though we have winters on the car now (Michelin).

The Proxes are very 'soft' riding/quiet, but our experience has been that they are s**t when it comes to heavy rains on the highway. Might be replacing 'em in the Spring. The stock Dunlops on our previous car ('15, same trim) were excellent, and in fact lasted all four years of the lease.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TPMS is only required to notify the driver when the tire pressure is at least 25% below recommended level. In the US, the recommended tire pressure is 36 psi, so the TPMS probably won't go off until the tire pressure gets down to 27 psi.
Mine went off when one tire got down to 31 psi. (Others were all between 32-34.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
It was a rush job: This is the first 2020 M3 arriving in Canada, fresh off the boat from Japan. I ordered this one sight unseen back in July, and it arrived September 25, delivered the next day. As to the 31, no, it did not trigger any message from the car tpm monitor system. I just monitor it manually weekly because of the large air pressure discrepancy at delivery.
And yes, we do have the Toyo. My impression after 3 months is the same as others, not particularly the best tires at all. Quiet enough, OK on dry, good highway manners, but left a lot to be desired when wet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So far they are holding air pretty well, mine are losing air less than 2 psi/month, but I check every now and then just the same.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
TPMS on my front driver side tire has been triggering at 31-33 PSI for some reason. Obviously it's cold here, in the ~20s-40s but it doesn't make sense because it still triggers even at 32 if the other tire is at 31-32. Possible TPMS issue? Should I have the dealer address it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
TPMS on my front driver side tire has been triggering at 31-33 PSI for some reason. Obviously it's cold here, in the ~20s-40s but it doesn't make sense because it still triggers even at 32 if the other tire is at 31-32. Possible TPMS issue? Should I have the dealer address it?
used to work at Enterprise rent a car when I was younger and during the winter
I used to work at Enterprise rent a car a few years ago, and during the winter, most brands of cars would have issues with the tpms sensor triggering when it was cold out. It would give off false alarms and seemed to be a pretty common issue, especially as it got even colder. We would have customers coming back all the time to ask what was wrong. We would take a measurement to be safe and the tires were fine

I'm not sure they will be able to fix this issue

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a prospective purchaser of a 2020 Hatch with manual transmission (sometime around March 2020) I have been following this thread closely and would like to know if anyone on this Forum, with a currently owned 2020 model, has not had problems with CD that diminish the driving experience.
I have the hatch manual and can report that while I can feel CD kick in when I cruise in low rpm, it only happens then, which usually leads to a down shift or just continued play with the acceleration... this car needs to run at least 2500 rpm for the best driving experience. I’m at 8000 miles and CD has been just a mild annoyance. Just my take Goldstar. Test a manual if you can.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts