2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

341 - 349 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
No, gear selection is done by rpm. The car should be in the gear that provides the best rpm for current driving conditions.
No... the feel, sound of the car, and the "complaining" that the car does (based on the load imposed on it) are the indicators... with the caveat that most often a lower rpm is better for fuel economy and wear considerations. Then the gear selected makes for the rpm that is in effect selected.

Bottom line: RPM is selected... it is the result of considering the aforementioned parameters. It is not the input parameter.

·
Super Moderator
5,479 Posts
As I said, I decide the best rpm for current driving conditions by the feel of the car. How do you do it?
When you actually learn to drive (not just know how to operate the various pedal, knobs and wheels as required to make the car move) you will also learn to know when to shift by the sound of the motor. You don't need to look at the gauges, just listen to the car. After bit you'll know where the best rpm range is for your diving conditions.

No... the feel, sound of the car, and the "complaining" that the car does (based on the load imposed on it) are the indicators..
All of which are in turn indicators of operation in an incorrect rpm range....the result of incorrect gear selection.

Bottom line: RPM is selected... it is the result of considering the aforementioned parameters. It is not the input parameter.
No, the gear is selected based on required engine rpm. When you are operating outside the rpm range needed for driving conditions you change gears based on rpm range requirements to meet the needs of those conditions. If you are in 5th gear at 2k rpm and wish to accelerate briskly, the rpms are too low to do that. So you drop it down to 3rd to get the engine into the right part of the power band to accelerate at full steam....

·
Registered
71 Posts
When you actually learn to drive (not just know how to operate the various pedal, knobs and wheels as required to make the car move) you will also learn to know when to shift by the sound of the motor. You don't need to look at the gauges, just listen to the car. After bit you'll know where the best rpm range is for your diving conditions.
As I said previously, what did you think I meant by "the feel of the car" - stroking the paintwork?

341 - 349 of 349 Posts