2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 349 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Just so you all know, there was another service alert(From August) - higher priority then TSB for rocker arms falling off again. This appears to have been released around the same time as the one about a whole new cylinder head assembly for cars that need it.

I have the mounts changed on Monday, so will report back then
That alert is pretty much just an update to SA-015/19 that was issued in April 2019. The only change is to include the oil filter history and part number in any report generated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That alert is pretty much just an update to SA-015/19 that was issued in April 2019. The only change is to include the oil filter history and part number in any report generated.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense as if it was happening again I would assume it would be another recall

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just so you all know, there was another service alert(From August) - higher priority then TSB for rocker arms falling off again. This appears to have been released around the same time as the one about a whole new cylinder head assembly for cars that need it.

Mazda has also updated the new cylinder head assembly service alert you mention, but nothing new really.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179172-0001.pdf

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Mazda has also updated the new cylinder head assembly service alert you mention, but nothing new really.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179172-0001.pdf

Care should be taken when handling the wire harnesses. Bending or stretching the harnesses could break the wires, and this type of damage is not covered under warranty.

LOL thats a warning to the dealers...break the wiring harness and you get to foot the bill....sounds like this may be an issue that has happened often enough to be a significant problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
lol I wouldn't want to have portuguese dealers handling that...
but the recall seems to be only for 2.5 and not for the 2.0 as mine

BTW, as I had my battery disconnected I'm managing to travel without CD coming to life yet and it is so good :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
lol I wouldn't want to have portuguese dealers handling that...
but the recall seems to be only for 2.5 and not for the 2.0 as mine

BTW, as I had my battery disconnected I'm managing to travel without CD coming to life yet and it is so good :D
After disconnecting the battery it takes a few km's to activate cd again. So don't worry ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Too bad about radio resets, learned driving style... If it were me and I had that "feature" (i.e. CD) and I couldn't figure a way of spoofing it - I'd even consider putting a batt. disconn. switch that is dashboard controllable. Say a relay-actuated switch where the relay itself was always provided with power... but where all other power connections were disconnected by the disconnect switch. Then depending on your commute distance and how annoyed CD makes you feel... you'd "throw" and "remake" the power connection each time you drove the car.... as part of your pre-start practice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
FWIW (not much!), we don't seem to have had the issues with CD that are discussed here, at least not that I've ever noticed: car delivered May/19, with the 'rocker arm concern' recall done in August (I think) of '19.

Just out of interest, I turned the CD monitor thingy on yesterday while I did a drive from our rural area into the city and back: a mix of 90kph country road + city + 120+kph expressway. Total of about 120kms. Assuming the monitor thing is accurate, I could see the CD kicking in/kicking out constantly, depending on speed etc., but as always the transitions were physically imperceptible for all practical purposes. No vibrations; no hesitations ... nothing odd that I could notice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FWIW (not much!), we don't seem to have had the issues with CD that are discussed here, at least not that I've ever noticed: car delivered May/19, with the 'rocker arm concern' recall done in August (I think) of '19.

Just out of interest, I turned the CD monitor thingy on yesterday while I did a drive from our rural area into the city and back: a mix of 90kph country road + city + 120+kph expressway. Total of about 120kms. Assuming the monitor thing is accurate, I could see the CD kicking in/kicking out constantly, depending on speed etc., but as always the transitions were physically imperceptible for all practical purposes. No vibrations; no hesitations ... nothing odd that I could notice.
Again FWIW my experience is exactly the same as yours except the car is slightly younger (delivered Sept 2019) so no rocker arm recall.

Is yours 2.5L or (as mine) 2.0L, auto or (as mine) manual?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Again FWIW my experience is exactly the same as yours except the car is slightly younger (delivered Sept 2019) so no rocker arm recall.

Is yours 2.5L or (as mine) 2.0L, auto or (as mine) manual?
2.5L/auto (2019 3 Sport GT/Premium [Canadian trim]).

·
Registered
646 Posts

It's pretty clear that rough CD operation for some unknown reason is evident in some cars and not others. I don't think Mazda truly knows why. I think it's 'kinda like "Chevy-Shake"... that affects something like 20% of the '14 - '19 Chevy / GMC pickups and full size SUV's. GM is/was at a loss to figuring out why... and then fixing same, either on a retrofit basis or with definitive new-production changes...

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's pretty clear that rough CD operation for some unknown reason is evident in some cars and not others. I don't think Mazda truly knows why. I think it's 'kinda like "Chevy-Shake"... that affects something like 20% of the '14 - '19 Chevy / GMC pickups and full size SUV's. GM is/was at a loss to figuring out why... and then fixing same, either on a retrofit basis or with definitive new-production changes...
Well I just had the radiator brackets and software done this morning. Drove around for about 60 km and couldn't get it to activate.

So I will go for another drive later to see if it worked. All I can say now is that my rough idle has been fairly solved for now

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I just had the radiator brackets and software done this morning. Drove around for about 60 km and couldn't get it to activate.

So I will go for another drive later to see if it worked. All I can say now is that my rough idle has been fairly solved for now
They must have disconnected the battery. It takes from 50-500kms CD to re-activate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
They must have disconnected the battery. It takes from 50-500kms CD to re-activate.
Yes it happens everytime the pcm is flashed or battery disconnected. It's def not 500 but I think it's around 70 km or an hour of driving if I remember from before

I wish it was 500 km lol then I would just disconnect the battery every once in a while

281 - 300 of 349 Posts