2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
With the right amount of gas, on a level road, the CD can be induced to come on as low as 1,250 rpm. But only briefly. Most of the time the CD will come on during ~50K (30 mph) up. Transition(4 to 2) feels like lock up of the top gear torque converter, a slight bump.

·
Registered
329 Posts
With the right amount of gas, on a level road, the CD can be induced to come on as low as 1,250 rpm. But only briefly. Most of the time the CD will come on during ~50K (30 mph) up. Transition(4 to 2) feels like lock up of the top gear torque converter, a slight bump.
It's really weird. There is small incline coming up to my house and I have had it activate at literally 10 to 20 kmh. In this case, the car started to shake violently while in two cylinder mode at this speed on an incline. My foot was really feathering the pedal due to being in a snow storm.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For all you Canadians, this TSB is indeed not available here yet. Mazda Canada is aware of it and "Looking Into it" as they have been for a year

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is CD only in the GT trim? I have a GT but I don't have the screen that shows when CD turns on and off and I haven't experienced the shuddering being described here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You got that right. Australia, Europe and America all have it.... What's wrong Mazda Canada?
The TSB is available in Canada. Dealers are not aware of it as of yet, however I called mazda canada and they sent my dealer the TSB

The dealer then called me and asked me to book an appointment.

Im taking my car in Friday and hopefully they can apply it on my car.

It sounds weird but I guess its who you speak to at Mazda canada. I spoke with a guy named Dinesh and he was super helpful

·
Registered
329 Posts
The TSB is available in Canada. Dealers are not aware of it as of yet, however I called mazda canada and they sent my dealer the TSB

It sounds weird but I guess its who you speak to at Mazda canada. I spoke with a guy named Dinesh and he was super helpful
Good god, you would think they would all be looking in the same system....

Anyway let us know how it goes!!

·
Registered
193 Posts

How did it go with the TSB fix. Did it resolve the issues you were experiencing with CD?

·
Registered
329 Posts
How did it go with the TSB fix. Did it resolve the issues you were experiencing with CD?
X2 let us know. If it's 3 for 3 that it is worse after the fix and it was done in Canada, I will probably wait to have it done.

Just a word of warning, it usually takes about 70 km for the deactivation to start working again after a PCM update so make sure you watch the energy flow screen. I know I fell for that when I had an update and I thought it was solved, but it just wasn't activating due to the PCM reset

·
Registered
646 Posts
X2 let us know. If it's 3 for 3 that it is worse after the fix and it was done in Canada, I will probably wait to have it done.
Not sure I understand; were 2 cars subjected to the "fix" and they did not meet expectation... and you're wondering whether X2's results would make it zero for 3?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not sure I understand; were 2 cars subjected to the "fix" and they did not meet expectation... and you're wondering whether X2's results would make it zero for 3?
No I just meant x2 as in times 2 I want to know the results of the tsb and whether it worked or not as well.

My post is kinda confusing.The second part I meant if Ronnie, Seth and laziestpanda all have bad results it will be 3/3 with bad results and I won't have it done.

I'm a little groggy, too many beers last night at the lake lol.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I understand now... the X2. I should have picked that up, as of course, I have seen it before. My bad!

Yes, if it ends up being 0 for 3... why have it done at all. Let's hope that they can get it to work like the sizeable portion of owners with this technology appear to have...

You know, it MAY be possible that a "stack-up of tolerances" contributes to some cars feeling poorly (like yours) versus some being pretty smooth.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If we are bringing in statistics, beware I have a 2.0L CX30 and not a 2.5 M3. On the German CX30 forum another guy is happy with what has been done on his 2.0L CX30. But this was a manual. And another one with a automatic acknowledges my observation regarding the noise. Which might be relative as the car is otherwise so quit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The specs and brochure for the 2021 CX-30 were just posted at Mazda Canada and there is no longer reference to CD where it was previously listed under the 2020 model. The fuel economy numbers are slightly worse as well. Does this mean CD is getting dropped for all 2021 models?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The specs and brochure for the 2021 CX-30 were just posted at Mazda Canada and there is no longer reference to CD where it was previously listed under the 2020 model. The fuel economy numbers are slightly worse as well. Does this mean CD is getting dropped for all 2021 models?
Well considering the dealer salesman said that too. Yes it does. Mazda can suck my nuts

·
Registered
193 Posts
This really sucks for existing owners. I wonder if Mazda is able to deactivate it from existing models now that they have gone back.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I understand now... the X2. I should have picked that up, as of course, I have seen it before. My bad!

Yes, if it ends up being 0 for 3... why have it done at all. Let's hope that they can get it to work like the sizeable portion of owners with this technology appear to have...

You know, it MAY be possible that a "stack-up of tolerances" contributes to some cars feeling poorly (like yours) versus some being pretty smooth.
I've thought this too. Maybe I am just being 'too particular' and I am not tolerant to this issue as some others. Which even if this was true, it doesn't really matter. It's a pointless system and does almost nothing. Barely get 1 MPG and now there is enough of us. I mean I feel like Mazda has a higher proportion of "Car People" that buy their stuff then other brands and would notice things like this. You know "Zoom Zoom" and "Horse and Rider" lol

Had the chance to drive a 2018 CX-5 with cylinder deactivation and same engine last week(A friend) You absolutely could not tell that it was deactivating to 2 cylinders. No sound, no lurch, no vibration. If I bought it and someone didn't tell me, I wouldn't have known it was there.

I have also test driven multiple 2019 /2020 Mazda 3's at different dealers. I have had some worse then mine and also some that have 0 vibration or sound at all. Something is for sure up with certain models/builds. Starting to think it may actually be a flaw that they can't fix and if you have it you have and if you don't you don't... It's a shame considering the Mazda's my family owns, driven one from every generation almost(Still have them)

1990 Miata - Amazing Car
2010 Mazda 3 - Still a great car
2014 Mazda 3 - An absolutely Amazing car
2019 Mazda 3 - No comment

·
Registered
329 Posts
This really sucks for existing owners. I wonder if Mazda is able to deactivate it from existing models now that they have gone back.
You are damn right it sucks. They won't disable it permanently...... What maybe we can hope for is a menu option to turn it off, but most likely you will need to go in a turn it off each time you start the car. I am pretty sure that is the way a lot of manufacturers do it. This would satisfy me. I could leave it on in town when it's not noticeable and turn it off on the highway. Kind of like how you have to go in and disable the MRCC in the menu on each start if you don't want it

241 - 260 of 349 Posts