2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
There is more to it than that. The lifter deactivation is only one part of it. You would also have to keep the ignition working and keep the fuel turned on.
In any event, once somebody figures out the ECU it should not be an issue to turn it off. If there are parameters that make it work, those parameters can be changed to stop it from working.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would welcome a more detailed explanation because I cannot see anything in the recall notice or the video to support a claim that "the deactivation works via oil pressure". In the recall notice chronology the oil pressure control signal response and the CD operation are cited as separate possible reasons for a rocker arm falling off.

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
I would welcome a more detailed explanation because I cannot see anything in the recall notice or the video to support a claim that "the deactivation works via oil pressure". In the recall notice chronology the oil pressure control signal response and the CD operation are cited as separate possible reasons for a rocker arm falling off.
And that oil pressure control signal is what keeps the lifter working or makes it stop working..faulty oil pressure control signal means the rocker arm can fall out of place. Its all part of the CD operation, not separate issues.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Alright Fellas, I bit the bullet and paid their stupid fee to have access to their TSB system. It does indeed appear that there is now a TSB for Vibrations with CD on North American Mazda 3's with a 2.5 Litre Engine(From North America Operations not Europe)

Release date : : 07/08/2020
TSB #01-009/20 "VIBRATION WHEN DRIVING AT 1500-1650 RPM - Cylinder Deactivation"

It's the same "Fix" as stated in the German one. Replace 'Cooler' brackets as well as reprogram the PCM to work with the new brackets. Failure to reprogram PCM to compensate may cause worse vibration.

I would post PDF here but I don't want to get hit with a copyright, you never know these days. So go to your dealer and ask about this! reference the above TSB number

It appears they are trying to improve the vibration dampening as well as engine bay harmonics by modifying the brackets and PCM to work in tandem as Arathol mentioned. Either that or certain cars have defective brackets/pcm and/or they changed the parts on the production line which is why some don't have the issue.

Please let us know if you get this done, I for one will be trying ASAP. It really helps to have a TSB # . Hopefully this is the end of this cockery

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank u all for being super active with this matter. I will be showing this to my retarded dealership who for some reason has no clue about any of the tsbs lol

Hopefully the vibration is fixed for all of us

Also big shoutout to everybody who has been super vocal about this issue which has led to a fix being released.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank u all for being super active with this matter. I will be showing this to my retarded dealership who for some reason has no clue about any of the tsbs lol

Hopefully the vibration is fixed for all of us

Also big shoutout to everybody who has been super vocal about this issue which has led to a fix being released.
The TSB is pretty blatant in the system. It's literally listed as vibration between 1600RPM and 1650 RPM in two cylinder mode.

It is fairly new, but it will be hard to ignore with the actual TSB number.

I will believe that it works once I see that it works

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honestly bruhs. Here's what Mazda did they removed some of the CEL bling associated with throwing a rocker out of place and they adjusted oil pressure to come on at specific (cam) timing. It simple really, electronics control oil pressure, electronics control oil pressure, pump and deflate at xyz timing. Either the timing or pressure wasn't right. They adjusted (likely) both.

Ive got no clue why they're swapping heads. This is just more ammo to buy a 2.5T in the new 3.

Anyone know if the skyactive g 2.5T has this 'floating' rocker setup? (My days of pulling intake mani covers & engines apart in general are numbered)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Honestly bruhs. Here's what Mazda did they removed some of the CEL bling associated with throwing a rocker out of place and they adjusted oil pressure to come on at specific (cam) timing. It simple really, electronics control oil pressure, electronics control oil pressure, pump and deflate at xyz timing. Either the timing or pressure wasn't right. They adjusted (likely) both.

Ive got no clue why they're swapping heads. This is just more ammo to buy a 2.5T in the new 3.

Anyone know if the skyactive g 2.5T has this 'floating' rocker setup? (My days of pulling intake mani covers & engines apart in general are numbered)
That sounds like the recall for the rocker arm issue, not the CD vibration?

I think possibly those are separate issues, but maybe not

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alright Fellas, I bit the bullet and paid their stupid fee to have access to their TSB system. It does indeed appear that there is now a TSB for Vibrations with CD on North American Mazda 3's with a 2.5 Litre Engine(From North America Operations not Europe)

Release date : : 07/08/2020
TSB #01-009/20 "VIBRATION WHEN DRIVING AT 1500-1650 RPM - Cylinder Deactivation"

It's the same "Fix" as stated in the German one. Replace 'Cooler' brackets as well as reprogram the PCM to work with the new brackets. Failure to reprogram PCM to compensate may cause worse vibration.

I would post PDF here but I don't want to get hit with a copyright, you never know these days. So go to your dealer and ask about this! reference the above TSB number

It appears they are trying to improve the vibration dampening as well as engine bay harmonics by modifying the brackets and PCM to work in tandem as Arathol mentioned. Either that or certain cars have defective brackets/pcm and/or they changed the parts on the production line which is why some don't have the issue.

Please let us know if you get this done, I for one will be trying ASAP. It really helps to have a TSB # . Hopefully this is the end of this cockery
Thanks for the info. I had my dealership look up the campaign # and they could not find it in their system. I'll be following this thread closely to see if any fellow Canadians are able to successfully get this TSB completed as my car certainly suffers from the CD vibrations.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had my dealership look up the campaign # and they could not find it in their system. I'll be following this thread closely to see if any fellow Canadians are able to successfully get this TSB completed as my car certainly suffers from the CD vibrations.
Somehow I'm not surprised. Maybe the TSB is an American one? Hasn't made it to Canada. Though it does says "mazda North America operations"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gday guys. My dealer here in Australia contacted me about this. I did find out a little while when one of the service ladies who knows my issue read about it for the CX-5 model and then it came out for the 2.5 ltr Maz3 model the next day so she rang me and we booked it in. I had the new brackets installed today and the PCM has been re=programmed. I wont report back yet as I need to take it along a road nearby where I get the most vibration when the CD and see what the difference is. I must admit im not overly confident in it but who knows. I will howver this works out sending a pretty harsh letter to Mazda Australia who basically dismissed my concerns late last year. If it isnt fixed and there is still a vibration at least they cant just say "it s a characteristic' when now they have to ackowledge it is some sort of fault that needs to be properly fixed. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gday guys. My dealer here in Australia contacted me about this. I did find out a little while when one of the service ladies who knows my issue read about it for the CX-5 model and then it came out for the 2.5 ltr Maz3 model the next day so she rang me and we booked it in. I had the new brackets installed today and the PCM has been re=programmed. I wont report back yet as I need to take it along a road nearby where I get the most vibration when the CD and see what the difference is. I must admit im not overly confident in it but who knows. I will howver this works out sending a pretty harsh letter to Mazda Australia who basically dismissed my concerns late last year. If it isnt fixed and there is still a vibration at least they cant just say "it s a characteristic' when now they have to ackowledge it is some sort of fault that needs to be properly fixed. Stay tuned.
Trust me.... I know how you feel

" it's a feature and some people don't like the new features " is what I got. Unreal

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the fix done two days ago on my CX-30 2.0L, very disappointed. I have not noticed an improvement cruising at 80-90km/u and at 100 km/u (were it was pretty OK in my book) it's gotten more noticeable in sound I got the impression. I had to drive for something like 80 KM before it engaged in 2cyl mode, so watch the energy flow infoscreen that it really gets in 2cyl mode before you think it got resolved. I did get a PCM update although my car already had some newer firmware according to the VIN range mentioned in the TSB. YMMV with the 2.5l engine.

Happy with the new firmware though. Much smoother, less aggressive braking and revving with the MRCC engaged now.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts