2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got the cylinder deactivation issues resolved?

My car has a wierd vibration type feeling when in 2 clyinder mode around 80-95 km\hr

You can only feel the vibration around that speed.

Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
570 Posts
There apparently is now a TSB - Technical Service Bulletin - to hopefully address this issue. Please search this forum to find reference to this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bilbo Baggins do you have the link to the discussion on this forum re the new TSB for CD?
There is no TSB for it as far as I can tell. There is simply a PCM software revision that updates the PCM . I believe it was Revision J to Revision K - Apparently this helped someone else considerably and I will be having it done to my car shortly.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Has anyone got the cylinder deactivation issues resolved?

My car has a wierd vibration type feeling when in 2 clyinder mode around 80-95 km\hr

You can only feel the vibration around that speed.

Any feedback would be appreciated
I know its a terrible problem. I have it as well. I'm going to have my PCM updated shortly and update.

For the time being you can drive it in manual mode and not let it enter 6th gear.

I have been sometimes driving in sport and manual mode as this prevents the system from activating and allows for more control so there is no shaking

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is no TSB for it as far as I can tell. There is simply a PCM software revision that updates the PCM . I believe it was Revision J to Revision K - Apparently this helped someone else considerably and I will be having it done to my car shortly.
That someone is me. I had fairly strong vibrations between 80 to 95 kph in 6th gear. Putting it down to 5th would eliminate them. Ever since I've updated the PCM, its better but not perfect. It doesn't stay stuck in 2 cyl mode as long so vibrations are kept more or less in check.

Not completely satisfied but its far better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That someone is me. I had fairly strong vibrations between 80 to 95 kph in 6th gear. Putting it down to 5th would eliminate them. Ever since I've updated the PCM, its better but not perfect. It doesn't stay stuck in 2 cyl mode as long so vibrations are kept more or less in check.

Yes it was him lol. Didn't want to call you out incase you didn't want to be

·
Registered
249 Posts

At this point any improvement at all would be amazing. I don't think I can think of a more frustrating problem to have on a new car. I'd almost prefer the engine fail because at least then I would get a new one and would have more resources put towards this

I still think the recall pcm update did something. I had the car for 3 months and 6000km before the recall and I never noticed any vibrations. As soon as it was applied I started to notice the vibration being very apparent.

Go figure I'm driving my new car around in sport mode and manual (I never used the triptronic in the 2014 ever) lol who would have thought

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes it was him lol. Didn't want to call you out incase you didn't want to be
No worries. I'm here to share my experience in hopes to help others.

Also, I think I may have spoken a little too quickly. Temperature was down to -15 Celsius and vibrations were much more noticeable. I'll wait out the Christmas season and will bring it back in beginning January. Its still quicker to get out of 2-cyl mode but it vibrates too much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm aware the CX-30 is a different model but based on the many mutual components with the BP my experience might be of interest anyway. Also Mazda EU and Mazda NA might tackle things different here.

Having read upfront about the CD vibrations on the new 3 I was not surprised but nevertheless disappointed that my new CX-30 with the 2.0 G engine (the 2.0X-engine we also have in EU doesn't have CD and we don't have the 2.5 over here) was having the problem as well. I have some regular tracks with a speed limit of 80km/h and with the cruise control on it's immediately noticeable, no need to look at the status monitor to see you are in 2cyl mode. I couldn't fool the motor management with going into Sport-mode (not working with CC activated anyway) or Manual mode and going back to 5th gear. So I went back to the dealership and was somewhat pleasantly surprised the Mazda maintenance chief (it's a multibrand store) immediately acknowledged the problem instead of "never heard of it, you're the first one with this, don't have a clue, etc". He told me there was a service letter from Mazda for that and he had to order an upgrade kit to the radiator support system and we made an appointment for installation a couple of days ago. He also told me upfront the problem would not be solved completely but vibrations would be considerable less. So what a shame they called me an hour before my car was supposed to come in and had to postpone as upon checking the received upgrade kit a rubber appeared to be missing from the kit. They would order another kit and we made a new appointment for after Christmas. A couple hours later they called again and were saying the upgrade kit and service letter were revoked by Mazda (my guess: it wasn't effective enough) and a new kit should become available around end of the year. Based on this information we made a preliminary appointment for the end of second week of the new year and they would keep me in the loop. I asked whether CD could be deactivated in the meantime by MDS but that was not possible I was told.

I have not seen the TSB myself nor have a reference number, unfortunately.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No worries. I'm here to share my experience in hopes to help others.

Also, I think I may have spoken a little too quickly. Temperature was down to -15 Celsius and vibrations were much more noticeable. I'll wait out the Christmas season and will bring it back in beginning January. Its still quicker to get out of 2-cyl mode but it vibrates too much.
Damnit. Well if the issue doesn't get solved shortly the car is being sold back to mazda and I walk forever

·
Registered
155 Posts
As a prospective purchaser of a 2020 Hatch with manual transmission (sometime around March 2020) I have been following this thread closely and would like to know if anyone on this Forum, with a currently owned 2020 model, has not had problems with CD that diminish the driving experience.

·
Registered
103 Posts
... anyone on this Forum, with a currently owned 2020 model, has not had problems with CD that diminish the driving experience.
There is no noticeable driving difference with CD on or off. The only way I can tell is by monitoring via the monitor.
I am driving a 2020 M3 Sport (Hatch) GT AWD. Car had not had any program upgrade or recall. The only notable "defect" is a on-wheel leaky tire pressure monitor, dealer quickly fixed that.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones without this CD issue, and I am very happy with my car.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Damnit. Well if the issue doesn't get solved shortly the car is being sold back to mazda and I walk forever
That'd be a shame. I can imagine how you feel about this issue; I'd probably "leave" too. The really lousy thing here is - it doesn't take a brilliant mind to imagine that turning a 4 cyl car into a 2 cyl car at light load DOES create a strong potential for vibrations... In their zeal to keep "gaspots" relevant in the new era of global warming Mazda is shooting themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There is no noticeable driving difference with CD on or off. The only way I can tell is by monitoring via the monitor.
I am driving a 2020 M3 Sport (Hatch) GT AWD. Car had not had any program upgrade or recall. The only notable "defect" is a on-wheel leaky tire pressure monitor, dealer quickly fixed that.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones without this CD issue, and I am very happy with my car.
Guess I should have got a 2020 then...... You would definitely be aware if you had this issue, even if you are less sensitive to these sorts of things. The shitty thing is that I bought this car to drive on the highway 90 percent of the time. If I didn't drive so much, this issue would be irritating but wouldn't bother me near as much if I just drove around at city speeds.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts