2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on a snowy day I took a turn a bit too fast leaving my work's parking lot and slid sideways into a curb. Once I got on the highway I noticed a moderate cyclical droning noise coming from the passenger side. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the front passenger wheel bearing, performed an alignment, and sent me on my way.

When I got on the highway after leading the dealer I noticed the noise was still there, all be it quieter. I went straight back to the dealer and the tech took the car out and re-inspected it and said the noise was from the rear passenger tire starting to cup.

Before the incident, I had no noise from my tires except for normal road noise. all of the sudden I now have this cyclical droning noise at speed (most noticeable between 50 and 55). Could it really be a cupped tire and the bump of the curb and reset on the alignment causing the noise to all of the sudden show up?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that and it appears to be clear. I'm just wondering if it is possible for the tire to be slightly cupped but the alignment causes it to not be noticeable until it changes via either the shock from the bump or re-alignment.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Did the rear passenger tire hit the curb too. I mean alignment isn't the cause of cupping. The tiring taking too much stress in one spot causes cupping. Instances like bad suspension, hitting a curb, etc. Just look at the tire on the rear and looks for missing tread pieces, if you want to know if it is cupping.

I mean you kit a curb, we don't know how fast, my guess is you might have roughed something up suspension wise.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd bet that either you car is still out of alignment, and/or another wheel bearing is no good.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was making a left hand turn at less than 5mph and slid in the middle of the turn. The front passenger wheel hit first followed by the rear passenger wheel.

I had the rear wheels off yesterday to swap them with my Dad's (he has a MZ3 w/17s as well) to take it for a run and see if the noise is still there (it is). I inspected the tire and do not see any obvious signs of uneven wear, cannot really feel anything as well. Probably going to stop by the dealer tomorrow before work to discuss what might be going on and why I don't feel i twas fixed right the first time. I would expect that if the tires are cupped in any way, the noise would be more constant, not on and off, on and off every 1/2 second.

Also, now my dad's wheels/tires are temporarily stuck on my car as while putting them on I left my wheel lock key on the lug nut and drove off. Now it is on the side of the road somewhere and I have to order a replacement. :sad 1:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
no big deal really, only $15 for a new key. Will check with them thought to see if they do and if so get them off and put the regular lug nuts back on and save $15+S&H. Thanks!

·
Registered
655 Posts
for the droning could it be the CV joint??

·
Registered
336 Posts
for the droning could it be the CV joint??
A bad cv joint/axle would normally cause a click on turns, spline noise clicking on first accel or a vibration on accel.

you had the wheels off, did u pull the brakes? if not you might so you can check free play. the main question is does the noise change if you swerve side to side or is it constant.

Reactions: Rinner23

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ander,

The wheel bearings are easy to inspect. Lift the car, put on hand on the coil spring, one hand spin the wheel. If you feel any roughness the vestiges is no good. Its possible for the bearing to be loose as well. If its loose this can be indentified by holding the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and shake it back and forth. If it moves the bearing is loose and should be replaced.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Noise was the rear wheel bearing. Now that both on the right side have been replaced the car is back to silent (well as silent as a MZ3 can get).

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Nice for once to see that a problem got resolved at the dealership. I don't think the Mazda wheel bearings are great quality to begin with. I had one that was starting to get noisy at 14k miles right when I traded ny car in. I never hit anything but i did run low offset wheels with spacers the whole time I had the car. Spacers aren't good for bearings to begin with.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Noise was the rear wheel bearing. Now that both on the right side have been replaced the car is back to silent (well as silent as a MZ3 can get).
Great! I knew it was the bearing. The ball bearings when in a accident commonly force the bearing race to become scored, or even dented. When that happens the bearing assembly will make noise. Unfortunately it is also very commonly overlooked. But again, glad it is all solved for you!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help everyone.

Service manager didn't think it would be the rear bearing as he says they usually don't have any issues with them on MZ3s. They have more problems with them on Mazda6s he said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts