2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and a Big Thanks for having this board and all the great posters and tinkerers!

I bought a 2016 CX-5 in May, 2015, here in Florida and it’s been a joy to drive ever since. Room for my rec gear, three friends, comfortable and handles like a sports car. Did a lot of research, model-testing for six months, before pulling the trigger. Have been happy ever since. I sometimes go and just drive around for a while – haven’t done that since I was in my 20s!

I got a Touring model with Nav/Tech on it almost as an afterthought. And because, as a 70-year-old, I figured it might be my last car. One of the unexpected joys of the new car turns out to be the Infotainment system. I was only disappointed in the amount of documentation for the tech stuff. I’ve been a pretty proficient Windows geek for almost 30 years. I’ve recently become a Linux newbie on a backup machine that dual boots XP and Mint. I’m still a kindergartener for Linux, so I’m a bit afraid to pick the best v55 tweaks script and run it.

However, thanks to the info on here, and whatever site had the technician’s guide, I updated from v51 to v55 yesterday. I had some nervous moments, but everything went as expected, following the step-by-step. System works fine. I’m not quite sure what I gained, other than confidence, because my research made it hard to find any solid listing of v51 vs 55 improvements. My long experience with Windows and Win apps has taught me to never upgrade any software unless I’m forced to by file format obsolescence or clear advantages to the new software. But I just had to dip my feet in with my Mazda. The USB ports access was just sitting there challenging me to hack! Thanks to this site, it was successful.

Now as to the various tweaks files, I’m a bit hesitant. I can work in Linux, barely, and can follow instructions, if I know they’re tried and true. But it would really mess my day to brick my Mazda system. Or to have some irritation scripted out, only to find that there is an unexpected consequence elsewhere in the software as a result.

Anyway, I’ll wait on that a while.

Meanwhile, my first functional posting will be found n the Infotainment system area. A small summary on how to set up a USB music flash. I found the information in bits and pieces elsewhere and my own trial and error.

Zoom! Zoom!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I sometimes go and just drive around for a while – haven’t done that since I was in my 20s!
Welcome!! I hear you on this, especially the first month or two of ownership, i could not find enough excuses to go for a ride. One Sunday I just said to heck with it and took a 2 hour drive out to the back roads in my Mazda 3 2.5 - glad I did!

I’m still a kindergartener for Linux, so I’m a bit afraid to pick the best v55 tweaks script and run it.
I was too, but unnecessarily so. Just copy the files over to a thumb drive as instructed, insert the drive into either USB port and turn on the car. Wait a minute or so (the infotainment screen will do it's usual stuff, but script is running in background) and the the finished message will show. Easy as pie. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Tampa bay, on the coast. Originally from Ohio, but after 35 years here, I've changed my allegiances to FSU, Bucs and Lightning. FSU because my daughter went there, Bobby Bowden, dangnabit!, and Jimbo Fisher. But the Gators are my back-up plan for FSU down years!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I'll pick up that Mazda folder and pull out the DIY hacks stuff for something to do this weekend.

On the fun of the 2016 CX-5, everything is still great at one year. But I have had one criticism since about week two. I sometimes find that there's a coupla-second delay in drivetrain response every so often. It's very unnerving and heart-attack inducing sometimes. My CX-5 has the 2.5L and SkyActiv automatic.

I first noticed it when I would do a braking slowdown, then a right turn, expecting to accelerate coming out of the turn to get ahead of a long line of cars. The first time, it took so long that my 50 years of driving reaction was to bail on the accelerator and hit the brake because it was too late to pull in front of the traffic.

Other times, when traffic wasn't a problem and I completed the turning maneuver, the delay was about 2-4 seconds and then everything responded normally. Yesterday, I had it happen on a straight same lane acceleration when there was a coupla seconds delay and then it kicked in.

Dealer, of course, could not duplicate problem. If I go in again, maybe I can take the guy out in traffic and let his heart stop and see if get any sympathy and help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.