2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I’ve had my 2012 Mazda 3 Sport for a little while now and find it to be probably one of the best all round cars I have ever owned.

The only problem I have struggled with is getting the steering wheel close enough to me in the right seating position so that I don’t have to strain.
It’s been my only gripe with the car so I've set out to finding a solution.

I’m having a steering wheel spacer designed to bring the stock steering wheel closer by about 2 inches whilst still keeping all of the steering controls, airbag and cruise control!

It is being designed by a talented guy at a motorsport company who already provides this for a wide range of cars (but not the Mazda 3... yet!).
They work on some pretty amazing projects and he takes a lot of pride in his work (which is rare to find) so I've had no hesitation in ordering one.

It will be specifically compatible for all the 2009-13 Mazda 3 models and also the Mazdaspeed 3 MPS.

The part should be ready for the end of this month as it has to be designed and machined. If anybody wants their details let me know and I’ll share them.

I've attached some pictures of what it should look like and also the steering wheel type it will be compatible with.

I hope this is helpful for anyone else who wants to bring the steering wheel closer.

I’ll keep everyone updated with more details and pictures when the part comes through!

Alex

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi guys,

So I’ve had my 2012 Mazda 3 Sport for a little while now and find it to be probably one of the best all round cars I have ever owned.

The only problem I have struggled with is getting the steering wheel close enough to me in the right seating position so that I don’t have to strain.
It’s been my only gripe with the car so I've set out to finding a solution.

I’m having a steering wheel spacer designed to bring the stock steering wheel closer by about 2 inches whilst still keeping all of the steering controls, airbag and cruise control!

It is being designed by a talented guy at a motorsport company who already provides this for a wide range of cars (but not the Mazda 3... yet!).
They work on some pretty amazing projects and he takes a lot of pride in his work (which is rare to find) so I've had no hesitation in ordering one.

It will be specifically compatible for all the 2009-13 Mazda 3 models and also the Mazdaspeed 3 MPS.

The part should be ready for the end of this month as it has to be designed and machined. If anybody wants their details let me know and I’ll share them.

I've attached some pictures of what it should look like and also the steering wheel type it will be compatible with.

I hope this is helpful for anyone else who wants to bring the steering wheel closer.

I’ll keep everyone updated with more details and pictures when the part comes through!

Alex

View attachment 278855

View attachment 278856

View attachment 278857

·
Registered
114 Posts
Being 6 ft 2" tall I'm potentially interested myself, not sure I'd want 2 inches, maybe 1 to get a good balance of extra adjustment and asthetics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Being 6 ft 2" tall I'm potentially interested myself, not sure I'd want 2 inches, maybe 1 to get a good balance of extra adjustment and asthetics
I'm tall myself and that's why I'm really interested in having this made. Not a big fan of sore shoulders! I'll update some pics of when it arrives and happy to share the details once it's set up and working

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,467 Posts
Interesting. I'm 6'2" as well and my 2018 is super comfortable.

The steering wheel is all the way out and my seat is pretty far back, but I'm happy with it.

Maybe I have long arms?
CK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I'm 6'2" as well and my 2018 is super comfortable.

The steering wheel is all the way out and my seat is pretty far back, but I'm happy with it.

Maybe I have long arms?
CK
This is for the 2009-13 which is a different platform.

In my 2012 I would have to have the seat right to the front where my legs are touching the dash and tilted harshly upright to get anywhere near to being able to have my wrist over the top of the wheel. Not great fun.

Sounds like the 2018 is alright though! Good to know if I look at one in the future.

Alex

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just can't seem to get the seating position quite dialed in with a low down slightly recumbent position. With my seat back far enough for a good leg position and gear lever reach I'm over reaching for the steering wheel and if I set my position so my reach is spot on with the wheel i feel like my legs are too bent and knees too close to the back of the steering wheel. That's on the 2016 hatchback.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,467 Posts
I got a longer weighted shift knob and a short shift kit. That helped a lot.
CK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just can't seem to get the seating position quite dialed in with a low down slightly recumbent position. With my seat back far enough for a good leg position and gear lever reach I'm over reaching for the steering wheel and if I set my position so my reach is spot on with the wheel i feel like my legs are too bent and knees too close to the back of the steering wheel. That's on the 2016 hatchback.
Same that's exactly what it's like for me, I can find a good seating set up for leg position, headroom and gearstick reach, I can reach all the controls perfectly well, but the steering wheel is still too far away and I'm straining and over reaching. I'm quite relieved I've found this company who can make these. It's the only not so great thing about the car, but enough to make my shoulders uncomfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah it's that and the plastic either side of the steering wheel for me, would hate to think of the state of my knees if I had a proper crash. Tried with many different seat heights and I'm the same, if I move my seat forward enough to get the recommended wrists level with the wheel with arms at full stretch then my legs are well bent and very cramped. Maybe there's a slightly different lower dash config with the left hand drive versions giving more space for you guys on the other side of the pond

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it's that and the plastic either side of the steering wheel for me, would hate to think of the state of my knees if I had a proper crash. Tried with many different seat heights and I'm the same, if I move my seat forward enough to get the recommended wrists level with the wheel with arms at full stretch then my legs are well bent and very cramped. Maybe there's a slightly different lower dash config with the left hand drive versions giving more space for you guys on the other side of the pond
I had my knees well bent to bring me closer to the wheel, basically touching the plastic, and I did think what is going to happen to my knees in an accident. That's on top of it feeling unnatural and generally uncomfortable. I've got it set up now and it's alright, but it's a bit of a trade off. Would be all solved if the wheel extended a bit further, I've come to the conclusion it just wasn't designed for a big frame. Yeah could have had the steering column aligned differently with the LHD set up, would be interesting to know. Frustrating because it definitely isn't here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! This is awesome to see, I’ve been having similar issues and almost resorted to sacrificing controls and airbag with a racing wheel just for the sake of positioning in my speed3. So here’s the question: how do we order one of these things up??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have been emailing the guys are the spacer shop and they reckon a ford one they offer with the wire extensions from a MX-5 Nd will fit my model so I'm hopefully gonna be buying one in the next week

1 - 14 of 14 Posts