2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While waiting for my 2017 to come in, I had plenty of time to ponder the different bolt on exhaust systems. I even had several threads going on with discussions about exhaust and Flow... what not.

A buddy of mine who bought his 2016 hatchback also kept giving me a hard time because his has dual exhaust, whereas the sedan has hidden exhaust.

Long story short I decided to do something different. I know some people have done something similar, but basically I replace the OEM Muffler with a single straight through Magnaflow.

The car only has a couple hundred miles on it so I'm still babying the engine. But with a little bit of the throttle I've given it I'm impressed with the sound. Quiet when you wanted to be, loud when you want it to be, and just enough Rumble to let you know you have a custom exhaust.

I know posts without pictures are worthless so I'll take a couple and post them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No worries. There are cars out there that do this like porche, corvetts, minis, etc. The one thing is many do dual tips where I decided to do one.

My end goal is to get a front lip + side skirts, then paint them all gloss black along with that black part of the oem bumper. Am also going to finalize it all up with some chrome trim and might even put some additional vents on the rear diffuser.

Regardless of taste...think we can all agree it's about as straight through and less restrictive as you can get

Found this thread with similar idea

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...enter-exhaust/page2#/topics/5838875?_k=9rbwec

·
Registered
66 Posts
@ Hyperion: That's one mean looking mazda 3, looks great

@ da_jokker: In the end it's your car and you can do what ever you like with it. It certainly looks different and is sure to gab some attention (good or bad). Perhaps if you looked into getting a custom rear diffuser it could look better? Anyways +1 for being different

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Hyperion: That's one mean looking mazda 3, looks great

@ da_jokker: In the end it's your car and you can do what ever you like with it. It certainly looks different and is sure to gab some attention (good or bad). Perhaps if you looked into getting a custom rear diffuser it could look better? Anyways +1 for being different
Yeah I'll keep my eyes out. ...for now all the defusers seem to have cutouts for dual tips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No worries. There are cars out there that do this like porche, corvetts, minis, etc. The one thing is many do dual tips where I decided to do one.

My end goal is to get a front lip + side skirts, then paint them all gloss black along with that black part of the oem bumper. Am also going to finalize it all up with some chrome trim and might even put some additional vents on the rear diffuser.

Regardless of taste...think we can all agree it's about as straight through and less restrictive as you can get

Found this thread with similar idea

VWVortex.com - Let's see cars with center exhaust

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I think everyone (myself included) is just hung up on dual tips. Have a single out is ok on the sides, but in the middle seems like the accepted look requires 2 outlets. Good news is it just takes a tip change. ... flow wise, can't beat that straight through.

And by having all the exhaust going through a single muffler I'm getting that deep tone, no rasp, no drone, and no popping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I think everyone (myself included) is just hung up on dual tips. Have a single out is ok on the sides, but in the middle seems like the accepted look requires 2 outlets. Good news is it just takes a tip change. ... flow wise, can't beat that straight through.

And by having all the exhaust going through a single muffler I'm getting that deep tone, no rasp, no drone, and no popping.
Video? Audio?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I was messing around in Photoshop (I'm a total amateur in that program), but I mocked up some variations.

I already know everyone is going to say "If I had to pick, I'd go with the dual", but the problem is that there just isn't alot of room and most dual tips are really long.

If I could do it again, I could have gone up 1 size with the magnaflow and got the single\dual and then made it work, but as it is, I have not been able to find a dual tip short enough (6" lenght).

Anyway.. here are Single, Wide Single, and Dual.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts